recovering silver from plastic wire

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recov

I have a small amount - maybe a pound - of plastic covered silver wire. It was from the back of a backplane - fairly high quality telecom stuff. I chiseled off the kzillions of gold pins which were all interwoven with a rats nest of this wire. So I have this bundle of silver wire with the tight coils wrapped around the gold pins - all now separated from the PCB. How do I remove the plastic from the wire? The wire is quite thin and I think it must be solid silver. The pins are heavy gold plated.

I have been reading the forum for quite a while now and am very grateful for the info available. Also the moderators do a great job. Thanks. Maybe at some point I will have something useful to contribute but for now I am too much of a newbie. I do have Hoke's book and some of the DVD's from the forum - but don't recall seeing dealing with the plastic? And how would you deal with the resulting waste containing plastic? Thanks for any help.

Debbie

Incenerate. :shock:

It is just a pound of material and I can't think of a faster way.
Use the same type of process patnor used to incenerate the flatpacks and it should pretty much take care of the smoke.

Tom C.

If you can't incinerate, you can soak them in Acetone for a couple hours and the wires should pull out easily, if they don't, let them soak longer.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Has anyone encountered solid silver wire in a telecom type backplane? It is very very thin wire. I suppose the hard plastic connectors on the other side of the backplane could likewise be incinerated like the flatpacks, then pan the gold pins?

Latest posts

Back