redbrown dust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kole55

Regards to all the forumu.what red brown dust in AP.U ap are pins that are clean with no solder on them.

I have encountered some red dust trying to process gold plated pins as well as goldfingers. It is a very fine stuff and I recently noticed that it is beeing dissolved by Aqua Regia and will be precipitated togehter with Au when using SMB.
I still wonder what it is, it should be a metal, but I still dont know which one.
It is very disturbing and it is just the stuff that is plated underneath some goldfingers and will prevent them from full removal from the PCB. Could it be nickel in some form? Nickel is not red though, but as a fine powder it could be..
Anyhow it is often used in those thicker gold plated pins such as spring loaded test pins etc undernetah the gold plating. From my work experience it could also be the primer substance that is used to make gold attach to another surface, but I am really not sure about this.

Hello marcel. red-brown fine dust we came from the AP where I put a lot pins mixed with gold foil.

kada tečnost napuni bakra izvan svojih kapaciteta, bakra metala može ispasti iz tekućine, također, vrlo male komadiće od bakra metala iz igle neće u potpunosti raspustiti ostavljajući crvene prašine.

Geo said:
kada tečnost napuni bakra izvan svojih kapaciteta, bakra metala može ispasti iz tekućine, također, vrlo male komadiće od bakra metala iz igle neće u potpunosti raspustiti ostavljajući crvene prašine.

translated:

When the fluid is filled beyond its capacity of copper, copper metal can fall out of the fluid, also, very small pieces of copper metal from the needle will not completely dissolve, leaving the red dust.

Makes me happy I don't have to translate all the posts like a lot of our members probably do.

. Was a tour of the filtered solution ap and I had a golden snowflakes and red-brown powder, it was three days go.again I returned gold snowflakes and red-dust yesterday in fresh AP and filtered again today and no red-brown dust got pure gold flakes and a lovely golden brown dust. saturated solution with CuCl I filtered and leave gold foil and powder on the side and do a fresh AP.Use little old AP and add HCl and use the pump for aquarium. works I have maybe 50gr undissolved pins and I went with 450 gr.Thanks again Geo for suggestions and help.

I would like to note that the pins clean. absolutely every pins I hacked up the gilded parts so no solder . I read all the posts on the forum and thank everyone.

Latest posts

Back