REDUCTION OF GOLD

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldmet

Hello friends. I want to share something with you intertesante.(interesting)
If an alloy of gold with aqua regia dissolves and filtered. The liquid containing the gold is slowly brought to dryness in a ventilated area to prevent acid vapors.
When dry the temperature is increased and something fantastic happens: reduced gold and other metal salts are in the form of chlorides.
To purify gold, wash with hydrochloric acid, as often as necessary and then with distilled water.
When this pure gold may be agglomerated with a glass rod and rubbing takes carefully bright yellow color.
I hope to discuss this ....

Attachments

• Foto-5.jpg
    Foto-5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 754
  • Foto-4.jpg
    Foto-4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 754
  • Foto-3.jpg
    Foto-3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 754
  • Foto-2.jpg
    Foto-2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 754
  • Foto-1.jpg
    Foto-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 754
Final gold with 99.9% or more purity if chorhidrico (Hydrochloric)well rinsed with distilled water and acid.

Attachments

• PRECIPITADO DE ORO.JPG
    PRECIPITADO DE ORO.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 751
Scientists have been crystalizing to purify for ever. I believe it isn't done this way when refining gold because of the losses than can occur when calcining or removing the chloride ions from the gold chloride to reduce it.

If I understand you are not really driving off all of the chlorides, not raising the temperature High enough to dry out the chlorides salts.
I can see where you could get rid of most of the base metals like copper before making the fairly pure gold chloride solution, and most of the lead or silver from the process removed before, and during filtering. With easily drying, you can wash out most left over impurities, with good washing techniques to come up with the product you stated.

I find this interesting and can see where it could work as stated if done properly. My question to myself is why would I try this unless as an experiment, I could chance a loss of some of my gold if done wrong, through volatilization, and if I had my gold ready for the process using a reducing agent at that point is not much trouble to finish up.

goldmet, Thanks for sharing I do find this interesting.

butcher said:
If I understand you are not really driving off all of the chlorides, not raising the temperature High enough to dry out the chlorides salts.
I can see where you could get rid of most of the base metals like copper before making the fairly pure gold chloride solution, and most of the lead or silver from the process removed before, and during filtering. With easily drying, you can wash out most left over impurities, with good washing techniques to come up with the product you stated.

I find this interesting and can see where it could work as stated if done properly. My question to myself is why would I try this unless as an experiment, I could chance a loss of some of my gold if done wrong, through volatilization, and if I had my gold ready for the process using a reducing agent at that point is not much trouble to finish up.

In losses are small amount minimas(minimal losses). To avoid losses, gasses can be collected by condendador (condenser)coupled to a flask.

Please detail your rinsing process to dissolve the base metal chlorides.

Do you have any photographs of the rinsate with the base metals in solution? Has this solution been tested to assure all of the gold remained insoluble?

anachronism said:
I've done this myself albeit by accident.

An AR boilover onto a ceramic hotplate leaves gold powder on the surface, so I can see the theory.
I have seen painting ceramics with this method.

goldmet said:
anachronism said:
I've done this myself albeit by accident.

An AR boilover onto a ceramic hotplate leaves gold powder on the surface, so I can see the theory.
I have seen painting ceramics with this method.

That is interesting.

How well does the "paint" hold up when done like that?
Does the gold adhere to the porous structure of the ceramic well?
Or is it applied before it goes to the kiln and gets baked on further?

I don't see the need to do this, or the benefit.

Governing reactions of what you are doing:
HAuCl4 --> AuCl3 + HCl
2 AuCl3 <--> Au2Cl6
Au2Cl6 <--> 2AuCl + 2Cl2
2 AuCl --> 2 Au + Cl2

Gold is gas phase volatile as its (III) chloride dimer. I do this when growing gold crystals via gas phase chemical transport. Over many months, large (1-3+ cm) crystals of very high purity gold will grow at the disproportionation end of the tube.

One can likely evaporate with sulfuric acid until dense fumes begin--the first fumes come off are just HCl. The end result ought to be cleaner metallic gold and easier rinse out of the CuSO4 and ESPECIALLY the Ag2SO4 when compared to heated and dried AgCl, which you will never rinse out of your gold (not with ammonia, not with HCl...not after that heat history). Ag2SO4 is very soluble in sulfuric acid solutions of high concentration; copper sulfate less so (more so in water).

There is no volatilization of gold in that fashion and all the chlorospecies (AgCl, CuCl2, FeCl2, ZnCl2) are quantitatively transformed into their respective sulfates. Sulfate anion is much more stable than Cl- but one of the products of any gold sulfate salt formed will probably be SO2 and water, both volatile, both preventing the gold from going any where.

Topher, such solutions are made up in organics. It's usually done w/ AuCl3 dissolved in a nice smelling solvent of some sort (often piney smelling, at least with the Degaussa stuff I used to process by the gallon). You can paint onto glass or ceramic, fire it in a kiln, and have a gold or platinum residue that is either metallic or needs some burnishing.

Lou

Lou said:
I don't see the need to do this, or the benefit.

Governing reactions of what you are doing:
HAuCl4 --> AuCl3 + HCl
2 AuCl3 <--> Au2Cl6
Au2Cl6 <--> 2AuCl + 2Cl2
2 AuCl --> 2 Au + Cl2

Gold is gas phase volatile as its (III) chloride dimer. I do this when growing gold crystals via gas phase chemical transport. Over many months, large (1-3+ cm) crystals of very high purity gold will grow at the disproportionation end of the tube.

One can likely evaporate with sulfuric acid until dense fumes begin--the first fumes come off are just HCl. The end result ought to be cleaner metallic gold and easier rinse out of the CuSO4 and ESPECIALLY the Ag2SO4 when compared to heated and dried AgCl, which you will never rinse out of your gold (not with ammonia, not with HCl...not after that heat history). Ag2SO4 is very soluble in sulfuric acid solutions of high concentration; copper sulfate less so (more so in water).

There is no volatilization of gold in that fashion and all the chlorospecies (AgCl, CuCl2, FeCl2, ZnCl2) are quantitatively transformed into their respective sulfates. Sulfate anion is much more stable than Cl- but one of the products of any gold sulfate salt formed will probably be SO2 and water, both volatile, both preventing the gold from going any where.

Topher, such solutions are made up in organics. It's usually done w/ AuCl3 dissolved in a nice smelling solvent of some sort (often piney smelling, at least with the Degaussa stuff I used to process by the gallon). You can paint onto glass or ceramic, fire it in a kiln, and have a gold or platinum residue that is either metallic or needs some burnishing.

Lou

Excellent, informative post Lou, thank you.

Gave answers and insight into questions i have had, and ones that I haven't even conjured up yet.

Hope the baby girl isn't giving you too much grief.

-topher

Lou said:
Wow, that sounds very cool. Pics or it didn't happen ;)

upcyclist said:
Lou said:
Wow, that sounds very cool. Pics or it didn't happen ;)

http://www.livescience.com/44717-worlds-largest-gold-crystal.html

Screenshot_2016-08-22-14-10-21-1.png

Pretty neat stuff, although I am not sure if it is comparable to what lou makes.

Nice crystal, but that's a natural occurring gold crystal if my memory doesn't fail me.

This is a synthetic gold crystal made by gas transport.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gold-crystals.jpg

Göran

Very interesting the subject but when it dissolves 1 gr of pure gold with regal water and reduces with heat, the loss is undetectable. I have verified it.
However, when using a gas condenser, no gold is detected.

butcher said:

Okay, I know this is an old post, buy what a doozy!!! Help me understand this.... I can take some gold solution that has been thoroughly filtered, add a goodly amount of distilled water, then I can over low heat, evaporate it down, and it will turn back into a gold powder?
You don't have to use SMB to drop it? Does this summarize what the OP is saying?

Latest posts

Back