refiner for scrap to coins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am looking for a refiner that will convert my scrap gold to 999 coins. I have a bunch of scrap gold jewelry and want to process it into the 1 ounce coins without having to sell the gold to a dealer loosing the profit they would make. I am in the North Carolina area around Charlotte. Any ideas or info would be appreciated. I can sell the scrap and get 95% of the spot value and the buy the coins at spot plus 50 bucks but is there someone that uses your gold to melt and convert to the coin so you dont loose the percentage the scrap buyer will make. Thanks Tim

So you're looking for someone to take your impure gold, refine it, stamp it out into a round blank (a coin is something a government mint makes), and give it back to you....

....for free?

Shame, shame, Jim.

I would bet that they would even offer to double his gold through some unclaimed inheritance.

appforest said:
I am looking for a refiner that will convert my scrap gold to 999 coins. I have a bunch of scrap gold jewelry and want to process it into the 1 ounce coins without having to sell the gold to a dealer loosing the profit they would make.
Pease & Curren used to offer that very service, and others likely did, and do, also. However, if you think that you're going to end up with equal value, you are sadly mistaken. When a commercial refiner has settled with you, you will come to understand why they have a horrible reputation. Stated bluntly, there's no way in hell you're not going to take a bath. These people are in the business to make money, and they do. You'll pay a premium for any coinage you receive, plus you're going to pay fees for everything you submit for refining.

Keep one thing in mind when dealing with life. There is no free lunch. If you go through life thinking there is, you will be disappointed at every turn. That is particularly true when dealing with scrap gold.

Harold

Of course i will have to pay, Never said i wasnt going to. I am just wanting to know is it better to deal with the refiner directly or sell your scrap to a dealer then that dealer buy coins? Nothing in this world is free. Figured you could pay 50 or more per each coin but this is why i asked. I am new at this and have bought the crap out of scrap gold in my pawnshop, just ready to do something with it. Thanks for the help Tim

I can take your scrap, and offer return certifed gold 1oz gold bars (no coins). The premium for return bars is roughly $30 over spot

You should be able to find someone in NC, that offers similar terms
all the best

Many refiners will return gold to you in several different forms - bullion coins and bars, shot, wire, plating salts, etc. Some of these must be purchased by most refiners (e.g., coins and bars), since they don't have the facilities to produce them themselves. In these cases, the refiner is acting as a middle man.

Hoover and Strong will make coins out of your gold. You can download their PDF catalog from http://www.hooverandstrong.com/category/Refining/

It has their refining and coin making charges.

Hoover and Strong will make coins out of your gold. You can download their PDF catalog from http://www.hooverandstrong.com/category/Refining/

It has their refining and coin making charges.

I couldn't find anywhere where they said they made these coins FOR YOU from YOUR gold. I may be blind, but I also couldn't even find any mention of H&S minting these coins themselves. They probably farm them out to a mint. I doubt if they sell that many "Hooverands" and the cost to set up to mint their own coins would be quite high.

http://www.hooverandstrong.com/pdfs/RefiningBroch9-8-09.pdf

Thanks for the help from what i can see everywhere people are paying like 94 or 95 percent for your gold then turning around and selling you 1oz coins for like 50 over spot. Guess it is just something everybody does so they can make a buck too. Thanks Tim

Back