Refining Gold filled jewelry question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizingfire

What process is best used to separate the gold in gold filled jewelry? I got a bunch of 1/10 & 1/20 14k & 10k watch bands and I am curious as to how to separate it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I assume it should be melted into shot for dissolving easier. Just curious if Aqua Regia will do it or if it can be dissolved in bleach and HCL like with gold off circuit boards. I have gotten the recovery of gold from circuit boards down, but not sure where to go from here...

Have you read Hokes?
Definitely DON'T melt!
Search for the process and you will find all you need to know. There is a recent post about this in the CHEMICALS forum.

I read it but honestly I learned more from Steve's videos. Hokes just had me more confused than anything. I will look for the other thread, thanks

Maybe reading Hokes again, before you lose that gold, note how she eliminates base metals before putting gold into aqua regia...

Look also into page 67 of C.M, Hoke’s book, here she speaks of a process for gold fill, but without understanding the book as a whole you could still have troubles.

I suggest starting at the first of the book, take your time reading the whole book again and again if needed, when you get to the experiments she suggests, do these experiments, they give you the tools you will need to understand to deal with the many troubles you will encounter along the way, also if you do not understand what she teaches, it will be hard to understand the instructions and answer's given here on the forum, as Hoke in her book has explained this more thoroughly than we can and in much greater detail.

Gold fill could be used to inquart gold with.

Latest posts

Back