refining gold plated and gold filled jewlery 10-12K batches

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiscomm

I am doing a batch of gold filled and plated scrap and rolled 10-12K jewerly. My question is after I treat with nitric and the acid dissolves the copper and possible silver do you remove the deplated pieces out of the mix or do you leave them in there through the whole process. As I said before this is plated,rolled and gold filled lot about 335 grams. The reason I ask is if the acid strips the individual pieces of their gold content and I leave them in the mix will the next steps continue to dislove them down to nothing utilizing more acid then if I removed the stripped individual pieces out so the AR is just dissolving my gold and not working on all the residual pieces till they have been completely dissolved using up all my precious acids?

I'm just starting at this and as you know you can get this junk jewelry batches pertty cheap and probally can be worth it if its done right. Appreciate it your comments

Do the plated stuff separately. I understand it will be a problem if mixed.

You can do the rolled and filled together. Dissolve everything that will dissolve in nitric. Decant, rinse with water and dissolve the remaining solids in AR. You may be able to recover some silver from the original nitric dissolution using copper.
As suggested, do a search for gold filled on the forum or better yet, read Hokes! You can find the link in my signature line.

Thanx for the info. I read in that handbook Volume #1 a gentlemen processed his goldfilled/plated with just AR because of the low gold content i.e 5% or less. I did a batch of 293 grams and boiled it with hot ar adding my nitric in increments and watching the reaction. My question is after about 30-45 minutes of boiling I let it cool to room temp and I could see some gold flecks on the side of the beaker and some floating on the surface. Should that have been all dissolved in the process or did I not let it go long enough?

You might find its not gold flakes, was there any white coloured plated material, if so it could be be rhodium.

No white plated material, I hit it with a couple more ml of AR and I don't see any more flakes.

As I've read here, the problem with dumping straight into AR is plated, rolled, and filled gold can have tin in the mix which will steal gold. You will lose gold recovering without first removing as much base metals as possible.

And hopefully, you ment heated to just under a boil. Boiling can cause lose of PMs as has been discussed many times here if searched.

B.S.

maynman1751 said:
Do the plated stuff separately. I understand it will be a problem if mixed.

You can do the rolled and filled together. Dissolve everything that will dissolve in nitric. Decant, rinse with water and dissolve the remaining solids in AR. You may be able to recover some silver from the original nitric dissolution using copper.
As suggested, do a search for gold filled on the forum or better yet, read Hokes! You can find the link in my signature line.

I already showed (told) you once how to process gold filled!!!!!!!!
Panther is right......you DON"T dissolve everything together in AR. Base metals first. You're just wasting chemicals and your gold. :roll:
Always incinerate gold filled before processing to get rid of all of the dirt and oils that are accumulated over the years.

Latest posts

Back