Refining Gold Plating solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick P

"Old Timer" Jeweler
Hello, I'm a Newbie here, but have been in the jewelry, precious metals business for 50+ years. I use a chemical refining system for many years.
I have a US gal of yellow gold plating solution that has approximately 1 ounce of purer Gold resolved in it.
It was made years ago and is a Cyanide, base solution.
How can I recover the gold safety or where can I send it to be refined. I prefer to send it some where because of the cyanide in it. Please advise. Thank you in advanced.
Rick P

"Desolved"
not resolved.
Spell correct wants to place it with the word "resolved".
Sorry did not catch that spelling error.

Hello, I'm a Newbie here, but have been in the jewelry, precious metals business for 50+ years. I use a chemical refining system for many years.
I have a US gal of yellow gold plating solution that has approximately 1 ounce of purer Gold resolved in it.
It was made years ago and is a Cyanide, base solution.
How can I recover the gold safety or where can I send it to be refined. I prefer to send it some where because of the cyanide in it. Please advise. Thank you in advanced.
Rick P
Welcome to us.
Wise move to get someone to do it for you.

I have spoke to several refiners over the years, they don't want to touch the stuff. Lol
I assume they don't have the proper equipment to refine it without possibly killing someone. Oops.
Patience, if you wait you will have answers.
Everyone in here is here in their own free time, so give them time to see and contemplate your request.
How about contacting the producer of said plating solution?

Patience, if you wait you will have answers.
Everyone in here is here in their own free time, so give them time to see and contemplate your request.
How about contacting the producer of said plating solution?
My company was the producer. This was made back in the 80's. The person that was in charge that did the plating solutions, has past away, but I don't think he would know how to extract the gold any way.

We always used up the solutions on items we manufactured. This is a left over gal that we never used.
Since I no longer do this type of work, I don't need it. Plus everyone I offer it to, don't want it because of the cyanide base.

It has become a problem. As I get older, I really don't want it left around, because most people don't know how to work with or handle dangerous mixers like this.
I am hoping I will get a real answer and solution in the next month or so.

I'll check back in a week or so.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I no longer manufacture in the quantity that I did in the 80's and 90's. Don't need the solution any more.
I do custom design and repairs now. Those jobs don't require the plating. I plated the items in the past just so the items would stay Brite and help in not having to re-polish the items at the time of sale.
Considering the sales were a min. of 144 mountings. 12 -72 ring trays.
Plating was a good labor saving method, back in the day.
I figure there is about $1900 worth of gold in it, rather have the money.

As Martin suggested you can plate most of the gold out onto a polished stainless steel cathode .

Similarly as it was used in mining, you can cement the gold on zinc. While assuring the solution is fairly basic all the time. Doing it in certified hood. Then filter and rinse well. Test the cake for cyanide presence - only if negative, proceed to dissolve the gold cake in AR.
Dispose the barren cyanide solution properly.

Thanks for the contact.
From what I see on their website, they handle this type of solutions all the time.
Hopefully they will work with this small lot.
Again thanks
Rick P

Latest posts

Back