Refining of ores

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenic123

Which is the best way to recover gold and silver from this ore. Its from UAE. Hoke says one should not use the process described in this book for refining ores. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20140331_200834.jpg
    20140331_200834.jpg
    2.3 MB
First step should always be crush it to a powder and assay it. No sense chasing your tail if the assay says it's not worth it.

I assume UAE is United Arab Emirates? Please be more specific.

4metals said:
First step should always be crush it to a powder and assay it. No sense chasing your tail if the assay says it's not worth it.

I assume UAE is United Arab Emirates? Please be more specific.

Oh sorry my mistake...
This is the company name to be more specific. Sorry it is from Oman. :)
http://www.rayoman.com/

It is also known as Drill Core Samples.

No disrespect but how longs a piece of string?
Ores are not like any other material we handle it's a field all on its own in reality within recovery and refining, the first thing you or anyone else needs is a full assay which won't be cheap. This is essential for several reasons, one to determine its worth the effort and cost, two so any dangerous elements can be identified which are nearly always in ores and three because knowing exactly what elements are there will help determine the actual processes needed to recover the values should they actually be there.
Under no circumstances should you try chemical extraction before knowing what dangerous and possibly deadly gases or substances could be formed by adding chemicals.

nickvc said:
Ores are not like any other material we handle it's a field all on its own in reality within recovery and refining, the first thing you or anyone else needs is a full assay which won't be cheap. This is essential for several reasons, one to determine its worth the effort and cost, two so any dangerous elements can be identified which are nearly always in ores and three because knowing exactly what elements are there will help determine the actual processes needed to recover the values should they actually be there.
Under no circumstances should you try chemical extraction before knowing what dangerous and possibly deadly gases or substances could be formed by adding chemicals.

How about if I do a analysis of the rock first on on the machine? That should help me, right?

I can also do stannous chloride test but just wanted to make sure if that is the correct way.

arsenic123 said:
nickvc said:

How about if I do a analysis of the rock first on on the machine? That should help me, right?

I can also do stannous chloride test but just wanted to make sure if that is the correct way.

No a full assay is really needed as if you using xrf they will not detect all elements and the percentages will be dubious to be polite.

Again no do you know what exactly you are messing with, many gold ores contain elements that are highly poisonous and even deadly especially when combined with acids.

I'm no expert on ores but the values rarely seem to come as elemental metals but as sulphides which won't react to AR without further processing, as I said before ores are a field and a very large one within recovery and refining which won't behave as much of our normal materials do. The first and most important thing to know is the percentage of the values and then the same for the other elements which will hinder or even halt your processing through either cost or danger or both.
We do have a few members who are very clued up on ores and my advice is be patient and hope one of them responds to your post with expert advice before you continue but I suspect a full assay will be a must and that will be expensive but cheaper than killing you or spending days working on valueless material.

There are hundreds of guys running around with a hand full of ore like you have shown. They know very little about it but think that you, the refiner, will tell them all that is needed to know. Well that information comes at a price. Ores require treatment specific to what minerals are in them and how those minerals will effect the extraction of the values. If you spend the time and energy required to get all of this information one of two things will happen. Either there is little extractable value in the ore, or if the ore is valuable, they say "OK we'll get back to you and they go shopping for better deals armed with the analytical work you have provided. Likely at your expense.

Lets assume for a moment the piece you have is valuable. What percentage of the pieces you will be getting are like that piece. You know they cherry picked to find a nice piece that was showing promising values. Add up the volume of ore required to process to get that quantity of nice samples and you have material likely running in the fractional ounces per ton category. Before any deal is struck the ore needs to be properly sampled to ascertain the relative value of the entire claim, that is often a very involved process.

Beware of customers bearing rocks! It's all part of the gold fever and few get rich compared to the many who get taken.

4metals said:
There are hundreds of guys running around with a hand full of ore like you have shown. They know very little about it but think that you, the refiner, will tell them all that is needed to know. Well that information comes at a price. Ores require treatment specific to what minerals are in them and how those minerals will effect the extraction of the values. If you spend the time and energy required to get all of this information one of two things will happen. Either there is little extractable value in the ore, or if the ore is valuable, they say "OK we'll get back to you and they go shopping for better deals armed with the analytical work you have provided. Likely at your expense.

Lets assume for a moment the piece you have is valuable. What percentage of the pieces you will be getting are like that piece. You know they cherry picked to find a nice piece that was showing promising values. Add up the volume of ore required to process to get that quantity of nice samples and you have material likely running in the fractional ounces per ton category. Before any deal is struck the ore needs to be properly sampled to ascertain the relative value of the entire claim, that is often a very involved process.

Beware of customers bearing rocks! It's all part of the gold fever and few get rich compared to the many who get taken.

Thank you very much for the information. You are very correct. Even I thought that every piece of the Rock will give different result when we do spectra report. I guess I will do the testing and post really. Than you very much and a nice reply.

nickvc said:
I am not going to process it with the chemicals that are listed on Hoke's bokk. Thats the reason I asked it here because I am 100% sure I will get a good and correct response from all the wonderful people on this forum and I will not be misguided.
Thank you once again guys. I really appreciate it.

arsenic123 said:
It is also known as Drill Core Samples.
That doesn't look like a drill core sample. A drill core is made by a diamond drill with a center hole. The core is a long round stone rod.
https://www.google.com/search?q=drill+core+sample&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=80Y_U725NMeAywOBs4KAAw&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1185&bih=560&dpr=1

I've seen a lot of ores but there is nothing in your rocks that obviously screams ore. You need a proper assay. And whatever the assay tells you it only says what that rock contained. The first lorry with rocks could be completely barren.

Göran

Latest posts

Back