Refining recommendations

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbit

Been watching a number of refining videos. Gotten some good into on the process but haven't seen anything about the recommended supplies for glassware, etc. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Been watching a number of refining videos. Gotten some good into on the process but haven't seen anything about the recommended supplies for glassware, etc. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

What kind of budget do you have?...Amazon has a wide range of borosilicate glassware to fit most budgets.

If you are looking for anything with a ground glass joint, I would recommend 24/40...that grind seems to have a wider range of options, Imho.

For now a low end budget I guess. It all depends on how each of us classifies affordable. I'm guessing I could do a couple hundred for glassware.
The items I usually see are standard tall & round for the aqua regia process, etc. I have also seen the small mouthed flasks for the filtration steps

Can't say I've seen that process yet. Mainly seen the manual method: making silver alloy then separating with nitric acid. Followed by agua regia to liquefy the gold Then filtering the remaining impurities and re-solidifying the pure gold.
I have heard something about using Pyrex, but nothing directly instructing.

My first “system” was a coffee maker. I cut the top off where the water was poured in for better clearance, and heated everything in the pot. Year round, out side, it lasted over a year. From there I went to a vacuum filtering system, borosilicate 3.0 beakers on a cheap hot plate and quality filter papers. That made a huge improvement for me. Still running on those basic items. If you’re main material is karat gold a handful of beakers in various sizes and a good funnel and filter papers can go along way, and refine a lot of gold. A catch pan such as a Corningware dish, direct on the hot plate is a nice addition as well.

What kind of budget do you have?...Amazon has a wide range of borosilicate glassware to fit most budgets.

If you are looking for anything with a ground glass joint, I would recommend 24/40...that grind seems to have a wider range of options, Imho.

I'm still leaning the technical terminology here. Besides lots of Q&A is there printed material to help me learn this?

Can't say I've seen that process yet. Mainly seen the manual method: making silver alloy then separating with nitric acid. Followed by agua regia to liquefy the gold Then filtering the remaining impurities and re-solidifying the pure gold.
I have heard something about using Pyrex, but nothing directly instructing.
Most important is to have a catch basin for when the beaker breaks, not if, but when.
Most vessels made of borosilicate glass will be fine

Back