'refining' scrap wire

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darshevo

I am curious if there are refiners out there who will accept scrap wire that returns either some percentage in payment or who process on a per lb basis? In each gaylord I recycle there will be copper obviously, brass in the plug ends, trace amounts of gold due to ribbon and network cables that I rarely lop the ends off of, and potentially silver depending on what I have been tearing down.

I have never taken the time to burn down a test sample to see what percentage of weight is copper and what is plastic, but I am guessing its close to 50% each way. Any possible PM recovery would be a bonus 8)

-Lance

Hello, I don't know if this helps...but I sell my insulated wire to scrap yards as #2 insulated as of yesterday they were paying $1.70 per lb. As for the ends I cut them off for refining if the show gold. The brass is a toss up, if you don't have anything else to do and want to sit and take it apart if might be worth your time, but for me i sell it with the wire as insulated copper. Hopes this helps

Kenneth

Back