refining silver, palladium and platinum from same solution.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and me when I concentrate the solution I will add HCl acid because chlorine from acid will easy evaporate when boil and wil remain only water and addition of HCl acid is needed to keep a strong acidic solution

and me when I concentrate the solution I will add HCl acid because chlorine from acid will easy evaporate when boil and wil remain only water and addition of HCl acid is needed to keep a strong acidic solution
If you evaporate to dryness, add a bit of plain salt to keep the PGMs in the correct state.

Urea will not kill nitric. It kills the NOx that nitric generates. This is why, if using urea, it is best to drop your gold and filter it out before it goes back into solution. Given time, after using urea, there is a real potential for it to regenerate NOx and start dissolving the gold again. Urea works best for those in a rush to get to the gold. (Being in a rush is a good way to make mistakes) Sulfamic acid actually kills off the nitric (which stops the NOx regeneration as well) with the added benefit of reducing any lead from solution as well.

This sounds like the method Hoke used but language barriers may be causing confusion.

Evaporate to near dryness. (not to full dryness) Add hydrochloric to reacidify and add liquid volume. Doing this as many times as needed until no red NOx fumes are generated then drop your gold.

of the nitric can be removed in 2 ways add urea or evaporate
Urea will not kill nitric. It kills the NOx that nitric generates. This is why, if using urea, it is best to drop your gold and filter it out before it goes back into solution. Given time, after using urea, there is a real potential for it to regenerate NOx and start dissolving the gold again. Urea works best for those in a rush to get to the gold. (Being in a rush is a good way to make mistakes) Sulfamic acid actually kills off the nitric (which stops the NOx regeneration as well) with the added benefit of reducing any lead from solution as well.

Yes, you are working towards the palladium.

Urea does not remove nitric, it kills the NOx that nitric creates in AR.

Do not dry the AR to complete dryness.

By evaporating to a thick syrup and adding hydrochloric you remove the nitric, when done right.

To remove the nitric, it should have read,

"Evaporate to near dryness. (not to full dryness) Add hydrochloric to re-acidify and add liquid volume. Doing this as many times as needed until no red NOx fumes are generated then drop your gold."

I still believe we are thinking the same thing, just not getting it in writing very well.

AND NOW I WAIT THE SURPRISE I get the points contacts from a USSR phone central with around 120 relay , cutting the contacts I get around 320 gr material metal+points contacts (the contacts are small points silver palladium alloy). and now I don't know how much palladium i will get.
Only the contacts without any metal have around 60 gr and I don't know how much is silver and palladium, is first time when I deal with PGM

I read on internet are relay contacts with 20% palladium , and I look on internet somebody get more than 50% palladium from phone central relays

AND NOW I WAIT THE SURPRISE I get the points contacts from a USSR phone central with around 120 relay , cutting the contacts I get around 320 gr material metal+points contacts (the contacts are small points silver palladium alloy). and now I don't know how much palladium i will get.
Only the contacts without any metal have around 60 gr and I don't know how much is silver and palladium, is first time when I deal with PGM
Now we have something to look forward to. Please post how it goes when processing these. I have never had an opportunity to work with that type material.

but I have another small relay from circuit boards wich is more than 90% palladium contacts

Hi forum, I'm not only new here, but also with the matter of electronic scrap. recently I scraped some MLCC´s from old TV circuit boards.
I pre-treated some of the MLCC's with fire, shredded the other part. Both samples boiled in HCL, then washed and boiled with diluted nitrite. both samples leave a greenish solution in result.
Now I came up with the idea of testing these solutions with SnCl. The first, fired sample turns deep black with a yellow ring, the original color of the sample is on the outside.
Does this mean the sample contains gold and platinum?
Second sample has a brown-ish result...Gold?
What confuses me is that SnCl works in a nitrite solution, as far as I know it only works in an AR solution.
Can someone interpret those result for me? What could the solution contain?
Then I opened the big MLCC's, found a rolled plastic foil with a metallic coating, treated it in the same way. The test with SnCl shows an intense, green precipitate in the tray.
Maybe it's all just crap I've produced there, but it would be nice to know. Thanks

Hi forum, I'm not only new here, but also with the matter of electronic scrap. recently I scraped some MLCC´s from old TV circuit boards.
I pre-treated some of the MLCC's with fire, please explain how. shredded the other part. Both samples boiled in HCL, then washed and boiled with diluted nitrite. both samples leave a greenish solution in result. Greenish indicate copper
Now I came up with the idea of testing these solutions with SnCl. The first, fired sample turns deep black with a yellow ring, the original color of the sample is on the outside. How did you do this test?
Does this mean the sample contains gold and platinum?
Second sample has a brown-ish result...Gold?
What confuses me is that SnCl works in a nitrite solution, as far as I know it only works in an AR solution. Stannous works in any acidic solution.
Can someone interpret those result for me? What could the solution contain?
Then I opened the big MLCC's, found a rolled plastic foil with a metallic coating, treated it in the same way. This is not MLCC it is a foil capacitor and not worth anything. The test with SnCl shows an intense, green precipitate in the tray.
Maybe it's all just crap I've produced there, but it would be nice to know. Thanks
Comments in bold inside quote.

Thanks for replay.
I simply roasted the MLCC´s like it would do with ores to get rid of the sulfides. They got burned, what was a smelly mess. After I took a hammer and crashed them in addition.
For the test, I took about one ml of the solution and drop a drop of SnCl solution in, it turn instantly black but had this weird yellow ring between the black spot and the original color of the solution. I assumed that there the SnCl not reached and therefor I couldn´t saw any black color, but must admit that I not shake the spoon.....may I was simply to exited to see a reaction.
Thanks also for the information of this worthless foil capacitor.

Thanks for replay.
I simply roasted the MLCC´s like it would do with ores to get rid of the sulfides. They got burned, what was a smelly mess. After I took a hammer and crashed them in addition.
For the test, I took about one ml of the solution and drop a drop of SnCl solution in, it turn instantly black but had this weird yellow ring between the black spot and the original color of the solution. I assumed that there the SnCl not reached and therefor I couldn´t saw any black color, but must admit that I not shake the spoon.....may I was simply to exited to see a reaction.
Thanks also for the information of this worthless foil capacitor.
There is no need to roast MLCCs they have no sulphides in them.
They are best treated by pyrometallurgy.
Stannous are best done on a piece if paper or a cotton bud.
Drip a drop of solution on it then a drop of Stannous next to it and watch the interaction.
If it gets too dark dilute it and try again.

Newer MLCCs are for the most part worthless base metal ones.

Back