Removing capacitors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasnyCZ

Hi,
firstly i'd like to say im new to refining and to this forum, so dont tell me to search that or something like that. I've already searched for this and didnt find anything (maybe some videos, but they didnt help me much).
How do you guys remove ceramic capacitors? i tried to remove them with pliers, bit i always (in 99 of 100) crash them.
So my question is - how to remove those capacitors ?
And additional question- what will i get from them? silver and palladium?
thanks in advance and sorry for my english

better search result using the standard grf search on "mlcc", so try this instead of using the link above.
I just couldn't copy the link.

You can use a chisel or a screw driver, place it beside the mlcc and spin. Some are using a heat gun, depopulating the whole board this way. Using the search words mlcc and yield you will find that the yield lies between 0 (zero!) and 5% Pd and I believe >5% silver.

I use a basic wood chisel and more or less scrape them off. I don't have a lot of boards like some do, but I get several done that way.

There are many methods used to depopulate boards. Chisels and heat guns have already been mentioned. You can also place a 9 inch square cake pan on a heating element and partially fill it with fine sand. Once the sand gets hot, put a circuit board into it and in about 10 seconds you can pull it out and whack it onto a cookie sheet. All the surface mount components will usually come off rather quickly and easily.

At least one guy wrote about using a chemical mixture to dissolve the solder. Read, read, and then do some more reading. It's all here on the forum or in Hokes book.

have a bench that will catch things that fly off like a flat top with a back and sides, also on the top you need some stops to put boards against.
a sharp wood chisel and a small hammer you can clear a whole board in a couple of minutes.
then separate chips, pins, caps, connectors and anything else by how you will process them.
some items are easier than others to process but by sorting out the harder ones as well for when you are ready to process them or sell to someone else you will have a more worthwhile quantity.
you may want to sort into the following types:

fingers and gold plated boards
pins magnetic
pins non magnetic
connecters
processors
MLCCs
black chips

depending on what you types of boards you may have other categories, if in doubt save it as you can always throw it away later but if after throwing an item away you find it would have had some values it is too late to get it back.

I have some boards with gold plated connectors for fibre optics and plugs to fit them and other coaxial bits, just need to work out how to get them apart easily

Thank you all! I havent got chisel so i tried method with flat screwdriver and it works fine for me, thanks :)
And one more question, should i collect every black chip i find or only those from RAMs and big ones from motherboard?
Here's the example picture

subir imagenes

I collect everything with more than 12 legs. Old eprom-like plastic ones I do collect separate as low-grade....probably I just sell them, when I have enough.

BGAs are collected separate as high-grade, also because their process has less steps.

Latest posts

Back