removing flatpacks

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronix

Hi everyone. i am having issues removing the flatpacks with thick legs, they keep breaking or i keep stabbing my hand with a chisel or screwdriver. I have a lot to process but i need a more economical way to remove them. They are the ones that go through the board. any help would be greatly appreciated

Use hot air blower and/or put board on a hot plate, you then can remove componenents with easy (and some pliers). Each board will need different temperature and hetaing time, do not burn the board, 400° is the standard temp for soldering and desoldering.

I have tried a hot skillet that goes to 400 only and had no luck. So I got on YouTube and seen a video explaneing that 450 was the preferred temp for soldering pcb's together in one shot.

Edit: typho

either way, heating a PCB is not the best for your health.if this is something you intend to do, invest in a good respirator or a scba setup. the chemicals released when a PCB is heated is toxic and over time can poison you.i use a painters tool. i stand the board on its side and use the tool like a chisel. its not as flimsy as a scraper and at about 3" wide, it doesnt take long to completely depopulate a board.

Thanks everyone. I think ill try the hotplate with sand to leech out the soulder, i read that works too. ive tried a chisel on the thick ones they just shatter the flatpack. they are mostly telecom boards in working with. ill report back on what works best.

Geo, do you have a hard time with the thick pins on the older ic's? how well does the scraper work?

well, its not really a scraper though it can be used as one. a painters tool is thicker than a scraper but thinner than a chisel. it works really well for all components except steel screws.cut with the flat side against the board.

yes, thats a painters tool. i sharpen mine with a large coarse whet stone when it gets dull. when i cut with mine, the pointed side is to the right and the square side is to the left. if you turn it around, it doesnt cut as well. it digs into the board. i can depopulate a motherboard completely with one of those in about a minute.

I use a hammer and wood chisel with a 1'' head. Just wedge the board against a wall or clamp it in a vice and give it a tap, with a bit of practice they come off complete with one hit. This seems to work for me on all types of flatpacks, north / south bridges, ic's etc without breaking the chips

The name of it is called a 5 in one. That one says it's a 6 in one, but painters just go by the old school name of 5 N one. You can sharpen it also by holding it nearly flat with the concrete and just sliding it side to side like with a whetstone.

Latest posts

Back