removing solder from pins HCI

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi voeckel,

You say:

"I could get here 5L bottles of 20% HCl very cheap (fre of any other ingredients, only HCl and H2O) but i am not sure if it could be used?"

Sure, this acid can well be used. It's composition corresponds to that of constantly boiling azeotropic HCl, and it may well be, that these 5L bottles you are talking of, contain azeotropic HCl, obtained by distillation of a more diluted, raw hydrochloric acid, probably already used in a different process, recovered in a more concentrated form as the known azeotropic HCl by a simple distillation process.

Thanks freechemist, and sorry for the late reply here.
I am quite busy at the moment, preparing a trip to go abroad. Hence, I am not that much in the forum at the moment.

I hope to come back with some very good stuff to process and then: hands on experience! :)

patnor1011 said:
You probably mean gold in ireland cd, I do have it somewhere and when I find it I will upload it somewhere.

Hi Patnor,

Yes, those are the ones I meant, sorry to you as well. Your post is even older.

BTW: I will be flying to Dublin on Wednesday to get some things sorted out up there with BOI, flying back home on Saturday. Would be cool to run into you, if you are from up there somewhere.

Peter

Awww another month passed... :mrgreen:
I will make sure to do it in next few days. I am bit busy now this week - working every night. I would like to meet for a cup of coffee but Dublin is 200km far from me and no chance of me going there this week. :)

Thanks steve for your post. I'm repeating step 3 now on another test batch. It seems to look like you describe so far!

Hi everyone, I'm just getting familiar with AP ran 5 different very small test batches to get acquainted test 1 had fingers off of about 20 boards, test 2 had 5CPU's, test 3 had the female CPU pins off the mother boards, test 4 had all the other plated pins off the mother boards, and test 5 had two older sticks off ram, I started with a 3:1 HLC to peroxide mix on all 5 test; test 1, 3, an 5 after one hour turned a nice emerald green, test 4 turned a pale green, test 2 immediately bubbled, fizzed and made a white cloud after an hour the liquid was clear, in test 1, 3, and 5 I left them sit stirring occasionally, test 4 I added a little more peroxide hoping to jumpstart the process and have left it sit stirring occasionally, test 2 I added a little more HCL and a capful more of peroxide an hour after that it as a nice emerald green. when I checked them this morning I have noticed that most of the foils in test 1 have come off, most the pins in test 2 have come off and all the foils in test 5 have come off, test 3 about half the starting mass has dissolved but I can still see more needs to dissolve, test 4 is still a pale green with minimal change to the pins; test 1,2,3, and 5 have all turned an extremely dark green with a hint of brown, I actually have taken the two ram sticks (which were broke in half to fit in the mason jar) and rinsed them. the pictures below are of the rinse water, the cleaned ram, and the acid mix.

IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

I hope those loaded right, I have other pictures but until I get the time to create a online album to link to so that I don't increase the cost of the web site to greatly I was just posting a few images from the test that's doing the best, I figure test 1 and 2 will be ready to move to the next step today or tomorrow, while test 3 still needs a few more days in AP and I think test 4 needs filtered, cleaned, incinerated to get rid of any excess acid and then remaining metals put aside till I move on to learning another process as AP is not a good process for those pins, but that was the point of these small test, reading about something and seeing the actual differences are two totally different ways of learning and I'm more a hands on kind of learn so even though my research told me that those pins would react the way they did I still wanted to compare it to the other test. Most the foils from this test as well as test 1 & 2 which have all had the fingers, ram, and CPU's removed left most of their foils and pins in the AP solution. If I'm understanding this correctly I need siphon all the AP solution off and wash the foils before processing with HCL-CL should I also after first process of HCl-CL then rewash the precipitate and reprocess with HCL-CL before melting for a higher purity or is this second processing going to just be redundant?
Thank You in advance for your wisdom in this.

lazersteve said:
As a learning process you can process a few hundred grams of finger boards in a quart sized mason jar. Make sure the fingers are trimmed close with minimal green board along the cut edge and no tiny spare parts or pins on the boards!

Do this in a well ventilated area away from metals items that can corrode easily.

1. Place the clean fingers in the jar so they stand upright (long ways) and fit loosely (not tightly packed).
2. Fill the jar up to the top of the fingers with 31.45% HCl (muriatic acid) from Lowes.
3. Add two caps full of 3% Hydrogen peroxide from Walmart or your local drug store.
4. Stir the solution with a glass rod to mix in the peroxide.
5. Wait one hour and observe the color of the solution.
6. If the solution is pale light blue repeat steps 3 through 5.
7. If the solution is emerald green, let it sit covered overnight (24hours), stirring occasionally if desired.
8. Using plastic tweezers, remove any finger boards that become 100% stripped of all copper (and gold foils) during the next 24 hours, spraying them off into the solution as you remove them. The foils all should be settling to the bottom of the jar, fight the urge to try to pull them out until you are done. Too much water is not desirable, so keep your rinsing to a minimum.
9. When all of the boards have been stripped, let everything settle and siphon off the liquid.
10. Wash the foils with several rinses of HCl, stirring, settling, and siphoning with each rinse, until the rinse acid is free of color.
11. Wash the foils with two flushes of clean water, stir, settle, and siphon with each rinse.
12. Process the foils with HCl-Cl in the same jar for highest purity.

Post some photos of your experiments and results!

Steve

hello,
i have one question :
3. Add two caps full of 3% Hydrogen peroxide from Walmart or your local drug store.
how much is two caps full in ml

thanks.

The cap full is referring to the lid (or cap) on the bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

This is just a guess on volume, (cap full is probably close to 5 ml of H2O2), so for a quart of HCl (approx 950ml HCl) add about 10ml of 3% H2O2 to get reaction started.

I just last week had this technical conversation.

Using only a splash of Peroxide just to get the reaction started.
Technically speaking as it came to be is 5ml to any volume of HLC should be enough to get copper to dissolve and get the process to begin. Once started, the copper chloride(II) will continue converting copper untill it is all used up.

Give it a go and you will see you will no longer need peroxide. Just keep alittle solution when it gets full, you will see it, and add more HCL.

B.S.

Back