Removing solder via HCL soak

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewalston

I understand that HCl will remove the solder from boards and pins. That the lead and any silver will precipitate as a chloride, while the tin goes into solution. What I'm trying to figure out is once the usefulness of the solution is done, how do I treat the solution to remove the tin from the waste.

Rusty

So as I understand it, I would change the PH level by using sodium hydroxide to form a tin hydroxide, which would precipitate out of solution?

Rusty

Many of the metals in a solution overlap with each other, of where they will precipitate as oxides or hydroxides, so depending on which metals you have in solution, you will have a problem trying to separate the metals from each other as hydroxides, the more metals in solution the more problems.

Many of the hydroxide metals are very gelatinous and really do not precipitate as solid powders very well at all, the gelatinous goop can trap other metals in solution.

Many metals oxides and hydroxides are amphoteric and will precipitate as hydroxides, but will redissolve as you add an excess base solution.

It can also be very difficult to bring a solution to a certain pH.

If you only have a couple of metals that the pH at which they will precipitate is far enough apart you could have some luck separating them, but basically I do not see using hydroxides as a good method of separating metals from each other in solution, in general.

But for removing metals from our waste that is where it becomes very useful.

Tin just barely dissolves in acids, and will not dissolve in nitric; it oxidizes in nitric to form gelatinous goop.

Tin just barely dissolves as a chloride (stannous chloride) as the solution get closer to basic the tin becomes more of a gelatin even as a chloride, especially if solution has other base metals in solution.

Even a stannous chloride solution can change to a tin hydroxide if left to sit too long, (our testing solution gone bad where it will no longer test for gold in solution).

Tin is one of the amphoteric metals; tin hydroxide will redissolve in excess base solution.

At around pH 9.5 most all metals will precipitate as hydroxides, and at higher pH many of the amphoteric metals will begin to redissolve in a more caustic or basic solution, this is the reason we try to bring the pH up to around 9.5 when we treat our waste, separate the hydroxides from the clear salt water, and bring the pH back to neutral 7.

Thanks Butcher for the reply. I have the boards soaking in approx. 3 gal. of HCl/H2O at the moment. Going to need a bigger container to pour it off into. I'm also going to have to pick up something to test the PH of my solutions, don't have anything right now. I guess I could just take all of this solution and the rinses and put them into the stockpot for later. Anything that precipitates out while it's soaking I'll save to process later. That is once I separate any components that come loose, should be fun (yeah right), but I have nothing better to do with my time. Thanks again.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back