Results from processing gold filled material

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejj

Thanks to the information on this forum, I was able to recover and refine the gold from gold filled material. Started off with 705.3 grams of gold filled scrap. The yield was 18.7. grams. This was my first time trying to recover gold from gold filled scrap, so please let me know what you think about it!

20221201_151811.jpg20221201_151821.jpg20221201_151839.jpg20221201_151755.jpg20221201_151905.jpg

I have 2 kilos of Gold filled, havent started it yet, concentrating on my silver cell at the moment but that looks really nice, Gold filled is reasonably cheap in the uk
Thanks. Wish I could get some cheap. I thought I found a nice lot of gold filled this week but I don't think it's going to pan out. 2 kilos is a nice amount. I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Did you use inquartation ?
No I didn't inquart, as there was no need to since the material was gold filled (and not solid gold). If I had been dealing with solid gold, then inquarting would've been necessary.

No sense in inquartering gold filled. Usually it goes straight to nitric, but AP can be used.
Is there any advantage of using AP over nitric? I believe that I've read somewhere about using AP for gold filled, but I couldn't figure out all of the pros and cons of using nitric vs AP... some clarity would be nice if anyone wants to chime in..

Is there any advantage of using AP over nitric? I believe that I've read somewhere about using AP for gold filled, but I couldn't figure out all of the pros and cons of using nitric vs AP... some clarity would be nice if anyone wants to chime in..
Price and availability for one😏

Yggdrasil is right, price and availability is the main thing. I prefer the nitric, but sometimes that isn’t an option. Nitric, when heated, is faster. AP works best when there is no rush or there is no other option.

Thanks everybody. Does anyone know the ratio for the amount of AP solution needed for gold filled? I was able to find the ratio for the amount of nitric needed to dissolve copper/silver, but couldn't find the same for AP.

Thanks everybody. Does anyone know the ratio for the amount of AP solution needed for gold filled? I was able to find the ratio for the amount of nitric needed to dissolve copper/silver, but couldn't find the same for AP.
There is no "correct" ratio for our kind of use, use enough.
For nitric mix 50/50 and cover the metal and heat it, add more whenever the reaction slows down.
For AP find some corroded copper and add it to plenty of HCl start bubbling air through it.
If you want a faster reaction heat it, not boil. Use plenty HCl and add some extra copper if the base metal are not copper based.

I try to use a minimum of 1 liter for every 125 grams of gold filled, with a strong aquarium pump and fine bubbles. Less AP and it becomes hard to supply enough oxygen to keep it working. One gallon per pound or 450 grams or so. Two gallons will be even better.

Even better use an air lift pump and “wash” the material in a flowing stream of AP. It will speed it up considerably, but can leave an excess of cucl1 ( I think that is the correct term, white looking copper) in the solution along with the gold foils. Here is picture of a small one that can eat 1 pound of solid copper in 4 days on average. An air pump lifts the solution up through a tube using very fine holes to create tiny bubbles. It then spills over the top into the space holding the material, in this case copper bars mixed 50-50 with bronze pins. The solution then runs out the bottom through holes that are small enough to slow the flow down but not allow it run through to fast. A slight trickle over the spillway is about right. This keeps the solution from running out of O2 while in the container. This pump was $12 at our local WalMart in the aquarium section. Only the small one uses the air pump that does not sit in the solution. The larger ones won’t work as the pumps are submerged and I am not sure they will hold up to acid. Research air lift pumps online and a large number of designs can be found.

Edit for spelling.

Attachments

• E68E90CA-FC87-4AFF-AB59-DA79069ABEA3.jpeg
    E68E90CA-FC87-4AFF-AB59-DA79069ABEA3.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Copper bars mixed 50 50 with bronze pins?
What do you mean? Also how do you know when the solution is used up and how do you process it afterwards?

Latest posts

Back