Retaining Stripped Foils

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydra

So this thought came to mind, and the answer might be more obvious with some solutions compared to others, but what is the proper way to retain impure gold foils retrieved through chemical processing. I'm thinking of attempting this method:(http://m.instructables.com/id/TRASH-TO-TREASURE/all/) by Railes as my first attempt to reclaim gold foil from scrap.

So for the sake of the example, let's say I've completed the first few step and have filtered the gold foils from electronic scrap using the mix of Muratic acid and Peroxide. Seeing how little there is of the foils, I decide it would be better to stop the reactions and store the foils in a jar for later refining.

How would I do this?

And would theree be a differing method for other chemical processes?

Foils can be stored wet or dry. When stored wet, store in a glass container in water capped tightly. If you store dry, use glass or sturdy plastic container capped tightly.

Hydra said:
So this thought came to mind, and the answer might be more obvious with some solutions compared to others, but what is the proper way to retain impure gold foils retrieved through chemical processing. I'm thinking of attempting this method:(http://m.instructables.com/id/TRASH-TO-TREASURE/all/) by Railes as my first attempt to reclaim gold foil from scrap.

So for the sake of the example, let's say I've completed the first few step and have filtered the gold foils from electronic scrap using the mix of Muratic acid and Peroxide. Seeing how little there is of the foils, I decide it would be better to stop the reactions and store the foils in a jar for later refining.

How would I do this?

And would there be a differing method for other chemical processes?
That instructables article contains errors. For example he mentions bisulfate as a chemical to precipitate gold with. That is wrong and doesn't work. It has to be bisulfite to work.

On this forum you will find the correct way to do it, it might take some digging to find all parts as it isn't laid out in 12 easy step as on instructables, but on the way you will learn a lot of important stuff that you would miss when following that instruction. We try to learn people what is happening, not just how to mechanically do refining.

If I want to store some gold foils for later processing then I just wash it down into a suitable beaker (or jar) with some water and adds a lid to it. Just adding more whenever I get some, decanting excess water.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
That instructables article contains errors. For example he mentions bisulfate as a chemical to precipitate gold with. That is wrong and doesn't work. It has to be bisulfite to work.

Göran

Goran is correct - in the instructable he said bisulfate or bisulfite --- bisulfate does not work - it must be bisulfite

also using 2:1 HCl/H2O2 is way to much H2O2 - with that much H2O2 you are taking a chance on dissolving at least some gold in that part of the process due to high level of oxidizer --- you want to use just a little H2O2 to kick start the process & then run a bubbler in it --- do some research "here" about the AP process &/or the CuCl2 (copper (II) chloride) process

I just "skimmed" the article & that's what I found - If I read more closely would likely find more

Kurt

Edited to fix mistake I made due to typing before having finished my first cup of coffee :oops: :lol:

Latest posts

Back