reuse AP, with hcl wash in it?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanfear

Hi guys, let me start by saying that this is a great forum. I will be brief cau's i'm sitting with an on-screen keyboard :lol:
I started my first batch of fingers last week. I used 1 part HCl 30% and 1/2 part H2O2 3%. And it went great. The foils are now washed and is waiting for incineration-HCl-precipitation. The problem is that i put the HCl I washed with in the AP tank. And 2 hours later I read a post stating this was not a good idea when you want to reuse it. I now want to do my pins. Will this become a problem or can i fix it with bubbling/H2O2?

regards Jon

I don't think that is a problem, all you would be adding is HCL with maybe trace amounts of copper, etc. Adding that to your copper II chloride doesn't affect it, other then having the volume of liquid expand at a rapid pace. I keep the HCL w/ SMB in a separate bucket.

ok, thanks. I was thinking that to. It was between 50-100 ml of filtrated HCl to a 600ml solution.

It looked perfect. Before I dropped the pins in, it was see trough emerald. And soon after it turned dark emerald green. Cant wait until I can put more foils/powder in my collecting jar :D

you should be good... the idea of a HCl wash after you harvest the foils out of your copper chloride solution is to dissolve any copper 1 chloride that has precipitated out of your solution and mixed with your foils. (copper 1 chloride is a pale blue compound that is not soluble in water) The additional HCl acid washes turns this extra copper 1 chloride into copper 2 chloride and putting it back into solution. This copper 2 chloride is the etchent that dissolves the metallic copper in your AP solution.

lazersteve has some documentation on his site that provides some info on the mechanics of the chemical processes. I would take a look at them if you haven't already.

M

Latest posts

Back