Reuse copper nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This last batch and previously processed antique flatware the solution was also green.
So after cementing out the solution with copper pipe the solution had changed to a coil alt blue that I associate with copper nitrate.
Using reactivity scale everything below copper cements out right?
So if it was Nickel it would have stay in solution and wouldn’t the have stayed green?
That cemented silver didn’t melt very well either .
I thought HCl and H2O2 didn’t react with silver and would dissolve Pd that why I chose to go that route.
My Intent was to remove copper and potentially Pd from the cemented silver and use the silver cement to make a new electrolyte for another go a silver cell.
One tip.
When you reply to a post, especially when the threads get long, is to reply to the actual post, not the entire thread.
Then it is easier to understand which post you refer to, this time it is easy, some times not.
I see the drift, sometimes old Silverware can contain Pd that is true, but that will be caught in the slimes in the Cell.

It should not be enough to influence the melting point much at all, so I guess something else is influencing your melt.
If you melt it as anodes, copper should not be of concern, nor the potential Pd, since it will report to the slimes.

Pd Nitrate has a strong maroon color so it may indeed be the culprit making your Copper Nitrate green.

For electrolyte, I would use my my fresh crystals from the last run.

One tip.
When you reply to a post, especially when the threads get long, is to reply to the actual post, not the entire thread.
Then it is easier to understand which post you refer to, this time it is easy, some times not.
I see the drift, sometimes old Silverware can contain Pd that is true, but that will be caught in the slimes in the Cell.

It should not be enough to influence the melting point much at all, so I guess something else is influencing your melt.
If you melt it as anodes, copper should not be of concern, nor the potential Pd, since it will report to the slimes.

Pd Nitrate has a strong maroon color so it may indeed be the culprit making your Copper Nitrate green.

Thanks

Silver and peroxide was used in the past to power rockets. The high strength peroxide was forced through silver mesh and the reaction powered the rocket.

I tried some sterling in my silver cell after I had treated it with nitric to pull some of the copper content out. I then cemented it out using copper. Then I put it through my silver cell. Had it tested today with a Sigma machine and found out that it was at about 98%. So I intend to run it through the cell again to see if that works. Just a heads up on using sterling in a silver cell.

I tried some sterling in my silver cell after I had treated it with nitric to pull some of the copper content out. I then cemented it out using copper. Then I put it through my silver cell. Had it tested today with a Sigma machine and found out that it was at about 98%. So I intend to run it through the cell again to see if that works. Just a heads up on using sterling in a silver cell.
Something is wrong. Sterling is already 92.5% silver. Dissolving it in nitric and cementing it on copper should have gotten it to 98 to 99%. Running that through the cell should have been at least 99%.

Dave

Something is wrong. Sterling is already 92.5% silver. Dissolving it in nitric and cementing it on copper should have gotten it to 98 to 99%. Running that through the cell should have been at least 99%.

Dave
I had it tested today. It showed 999 but at 9999 it failed. They told me it was probably 98% which doesn't seem right to me.

Even 99.98 is very respectable. Making it to that fourth nine is a pretty tough job that requires strict attention to every detail.

One tip.

The weight of the cemented silver using copper nitrate electrolyte was 338 grams not too shabby ( for me)

Back