reuse the AR after precipitation with SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocodos

hello at all,

after reading the forum handbook and the forum feeds, i have seccessfully precipitated black powder with smb from AR (Nitric Acid + Muriatic Acid).
but here is a question: is it possibile to reuse the AR after precipitation with SMB or is it too infectet with other substances and i have to make a new AR solution?
sorry for my bad english.

thanks and regards

mocodos

Congratulations.
When finished washing and melting the powder,don't forget to post a picture for all of us to admire.
Here is a link that may help you with your quest on rejuvenating AR.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=994&p=8905&hilit=reusing+ar#p8905
This is something that many of us have tried to perfect with not too much success.But I am sure one of us will get it right sooner or later.
A good friend of mine on here discovered an easy method for rejuvenating AP by using electrolosys to remove the base metals,however he is no longer processing.
Well congrats again.
Johnny

hi Johnny,

thanks for congratulation and the link.

here ist my fist gold powder, but i have to clean it:
(it was a test batch with 50 gr. of pins in various quality)

gold_powder.JPG

thanks again and greetings

mocodos

thanks for congratulation and the link.
You are welcome.
That powder has excellent color to it.Look at the color in your picture,then look at the color of the powder on my avatar.I used that picture for my avatar because it was so incredible looking.I've had gold powder that was gold,Ive had it black,Ive had it golden,but none of us can figure out why it drops different colors.
Johnny

Here is a link that may help you with your quest on rejuvenating AR.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=994&p=8905&hilit=reusing+ar#p8905

Am I just dumb or is this the wrong link?

I just wondered about the same question. Destilling is no option for me, takes too long, costs more in energy than buying fresh HCl. But what about using it for AP, if it is mostly HCl (used on almost clean gold, ofcourse no NOx left back, just used a minimum of SMB). Can't see a reason why this not should work. Comments?

Please excuse me, if this has been discussed. I have tried to search, but with my bad english maybe I didn't use good enough keywords.

I always take my used AR to the stock pot, there any precious metal traces can cement, any suspended gold particles have time to settle and any acid left helps to dissolve the low grade scrap I put into my stock pot.
If you have done your home work you shouldn't have a lot of free acid (HCl, H2SO4) as it doesn't take that much to dissolve the gold. And by the way, HCl is cheap.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I always take my used AR to the stock pot, there any precious metal traces can cement, any suspended gold particles have time to settle and any acid left helps to dissolve the low grade scrap I put into my stock pot.
If you have done your home work you shouldn't have a lot of free acid (HCl, H2SO4) as it doesn't take that much to dissolve the gold. And by the way, HCl is cheap.

Göran

Hay...
I only use HCL and Clorine to date. But I have 3 stock pots in series right now which I am closing up for the winter so processing them.
Everything goes in the copper pot to drop any PMs that might get through. After a couple few days, it goes to the steel pot to drop copper, then on to the PH adjuster bucket.
This has been my first round at collecting PMs so there is/was alittle more solution sitting around in the shed...umm secure lab working envirenment.
I had trouble getting the PH to move up to drop steel so it accumulated.

Seems, now that I got it straightened out, like a good automatic system to treat spent solutions as you work. In the spring I'm going to use smaller buckets so I wont be able to accumulate too much at 1 time.

I have found that when I moved the steel around to drop copper that it appears a nice coating of what looks like gold has plated onto the steel covered by copper. Based on my first couple batches I've done, it seems the yeilds were short so I'm thinking it is gold.
I'll store things until spring and then use the solids for dropping spent solutions.
Mean time I've taken pictures and intend to describe what I've done and review to further my learning. If I get a picture editing program that's hiding in 1 of many hard drives I have hiding here, I'll post here somewhere with discriptions of everything and maybe....just a maybe... I might have done at least 1 thing right.

B.S.
...Long winded and nothing accomplished today...

If you have done your home work you shouldn't have a lot of free acid (HCl

:lol:
I am not the one to evaluate, if I have done my homework. But I have much free HCl left, since I mostly cover the material with it and then I add about 1ml nitric per expected gramm of gold or PGM (later I test the material, if there is more) in situations, where cold HCl/Clorox wasn't strong enough on a probe of this material. This worked fine with incinerated concentrates from flatpacks or on glucose strips and works fine on the broken honeycomb I have. Since I only have one honeycomb, I devide it in ten portions, processing it with the same acid to accumulate an acceptable concentration of platinum (SnCl2 shows beautiful orange after the first portion! 8) ). Same with porcelain. I dislike heating, so AR is my first choice also here. Also with Cpu's it worked fine, though this was a time, I didn't know the forum and was not aware of basemetals. So, yes, sometimes I use AR for recovery, only if chlorox is no option.

solar_plasma said:
(snip)
So, yes, sometimes I use AR for recovery, only if chlorox is no option.
Shame on you. You are a bad, bad man :shock: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. As long as you "know" what you are working with and how to work with it, their are times it makes since, but I would never advise a rookie to use it as it makes a mess real fast if you forget a piece of tin or cadmium

I think I will take back my statement about doing the homework, I didn't consider cats, it would obviously take a lot of acid to cover that material. I was only thinking of gold foils and similar scrap where the volumes isn't so big.

Göran

Latest posts

Back