reverse electroplating and ebay item ????

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz72

Has anyone ever seen this product or used this product on ebay, item # 131100524200 I was looking at building my own reverse electroplating system but I came across this product that only uses a liquid draino which is 96% sulfuric acid (is this possible) the only reason that I was looking at this product is I am having trouble finding sulfuric acid and if this machine works that would be allot easier. is it possible to use this Draino for reverse electroplating ????

Thanks Grizz72

It's not draino. You have to find Roto brand drain cleaner at ace hardware and it will say on the label 98% sulfuric acid. Have you done a lot of reading here, especially the safety information on sulfuric? Just curious because this product is discussed many times on here when you search "sulfuric stripping cell" just a bit of advice I would spend a lot more time reading before buying anything.

Tyler

Forget the Clean Shot drain opener, it is packed over full of inhibitors. For that price, with some scavenging in thrift stores and such, you can come out way cheaper. Listen to moose, he has given the best advice. Keep reading until you understand what your reading, then maybe try it.

This is coming from a person that just tried a sulfuric cell for the first time today. Study long and hard, it becomes much easier to understand after reading till it hurts, and then it becomes easier to apply what you have learned. This will also help you to spot the scam or near scam type sales pitches. I spent just over $16 on my cell, less things that I scrounged from junk and other scrap, including the chemicals.

Good Luck, and hope this helps.

It would be nice to know where you live :shock:
As where to find supplies depends on where you are.

I buy "Battery Electrolyte" from NAPA auto supply for $22.50 for 5 gallons. I then evaporate it down to 96% +/- and end up with about a gallon and a quarter of concentrate.
My next option is to drive 365 miles round trip to purchase 98% for $85 per gallon and that is no option :shock:

Thanks for all the help guys, I have been reading lots and am ready to try it out/start making my cell and trying a new hobby.

Thanks again Grizz72 8)

when searching box stores for 98% sulfuric, a dead give away is they will usually be in a bottle inside a sealed baggie. EPA regs. Almost any chemical cleaning supply store will have it, they will also have long gloves, throwaways, aprons, masks, face shields and usually respirators or, at very least, acid fume. masks. ( Be sure to check the specs on all protective equipment regardless of what they tell you.) If they screw up, sorry may be too late for you.

don't mean to dig up and old post but I work at an ACE and can post the SKU numbers for Rooto and Liquid Fire. If your local ACE doesn't have it they can special order it, its around $25 - $30 a gallon at my store. Plus I'm in California so if its available for shelves here it should be free flowing everywhere else.

Pat

patiam69 said:
don't mean to dig up and old post but I work at an ACE and can post the SKU numbers for Rooto and Liquid Fire. If your local ACE doesn't have it they can special order it, its around $25 - $30 a gallon at my store. Plus I'm in California so if its available for shelves here it should be free flowing everywhere else.

Pat

bumping posts is always good !! keeps all questions & answers in a single post

you may also find the MSDS for some different drain openers/cleaners in the MSDS section

the label alone will not give all info on the contents, here in canada we get a lot of :
"may contain hydrochloric or sulfuric acid" and no percent of acid content

some also contain buffers or other things that will impede its use for a stripper cell

Latest posts

Back