Ribbon Cable

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to process my 400 pounds +/- in keyboard mylar. Figured I'd bump the greatest thread ever created on the subject. I think I'm going to go with the melting method for simplicity purposes to start. My question is this: What's the largest melting dish/container available? With as many sheets as I have, I'd like to melt off large batches at once, rather than one at a time.

Standard kitchen baking dishes appear to be good to about 450, but I think with the heat gun I'm going to quickly exceed that. Need something that will take a little more heat.

Most dishes found in your kitchen will not take the heat, most all will crack or shatter.
about the only kitchen dish, I would try would be an older Corning pyro Ceram dish, incinerating the Mylar down in volume, and then use a melting dish to melt the silver further to molten metal...

You need a melting dish made for melting silver or gold, they make some larger dishes I have one about 4 to 5 inches.

You could also build a furnace with a refractory liner, like with soft fire brick and giving it a wash coat of refractory for a harder surface when dried and fired...

keep searching answers for your questions on incinerating metals, and melting them, reading through the forum posts on these subjects you may find a better answer to solve your problem...

butcher said:
Most dishes found in your kitchen will not take the heat, most all will crack or shatter.
about the only kitchen dish, I would try would be an older Corning pyro Ceram dish, incinerating the Mylar down in volume, and then use a melting dish to melt the silver further to molten metal...

You need a melting dish made for melting silver or gold, they make some larger dishes I have one about 4 to 5 inches.

You could also build a furnace with a refractory liner, like with soft fire brick and giving it a wash coat of refractory for a harder surface when dried and fired...

keep searching answers for your questions on incinerating metals, and melting them, reading through the forum posts on these subjects you may find a better answer to solve your problem...

If you're referring to using Nitric, I've read up on that too. May do some one way, some the other just to compare the two methods from both a time and a recovery basis.

I was not referring to nitric, although that could be another method.
I was talking about incineration and melting, and some ideas of utensils.
Whatever method you decide on, study it well first, and understand the dangers involved.

ThePierCer said:
anyone know about the content of the IDE ribbon cables? Is there anything worth while in them? I've seen prices of .30-.70 / lb at the scrap yards, but i wasn't fire if that was because of the copper content or if there was othere metals in there.
IDE flat white ribbon cables are copper with a tin coating that looks like silver wire. It's not. There are also some wire and flat braided wire in both servers and TVs that look to be aluminum they are tin coated copper as well.

Back