Rigging my Au Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekbit

Just 2 photos of the cell I'm setting up to strip Au plated pins. 6 x 6 x 6 inch. I used it once already but my basket got a bit to floppy in the middle. So I am adding the wide band for support.

The test run with 98% H2SO4, 10 amps at 7.5 volts was a dream come true. It stripped about 4 oz of pins in just a few minutes. The upgrade with the wide band should allow me to run a few pounds.

Photo0106.jpg
Photo0107.jpg

I'm sure you are aware of the dangers using concentrated sulphuric so I wont labour the point but remember to cover your cell well when not in use or distill the acid back into a sealed container or it will draw water from the atmosphere rendering your cell useless.
Nice work by the way and stay safe.

Looks nice.

is it made from Glas? If so please put it in a catch pan. Wenn you drop something heavy in it the glass can break. I'm talking off bad experience dropping a plated knife in my cell and 2 liter warm 98% sulfuric acid was streaming out off a hole in the bottom.

Yes I am aware of the danger, I do have a cover for it, yes, it is glass. I do have a catch pan.

Some may remember years ago the glass blocks for homes and buildings used to let the sun in, they may still be available. Just cut one end off with a wet diamond saw and there you go you have one just like mine.

The nice thing, pouring out the solutions is very easy due to the sharp corners. The size and shape make it easy to hold. However due to the nasty nature of this sulfuric, "I siphon it off". Not taking any chances.

It also works very very well for incinerated chips / ash the gold leads just pile up in the inside corners. I have used this for all kinds of gold recovery processes.

Back