ripped off

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldenchild
I thought that I might process the gold at home but after the first batch I can say that a 167 lbs is a lot of processing and the other components take a different process. I really don’t want to play with nitric acid.
You have to remember that I worked at a scrapyard that had old electronic components built in the sixties when gold was only $300

snoman701

The material was free
25% for refining
more then 2.7
They mixed all 6 commodities right in front of me.
same as a lawyer 250/ hr.

ericrm
It is the principle of honesty
Their web page is full of bs
They know that it will be almost impossible to prove.

seaslush,

Say that the settlement was low for the material involved.

You have no way of knowing if you were paid fairly on the metals recovered.

Without an umpire sample, or assay of those materials you provided to use for comparison of the value of the materials before leaching and after the recovery process, I cannot see this going far in court.

seaslush said:
Johnny5
only the gold
The only thing I have to watch is the disposal of hydrochloric acid. Bleach Peroxide and Vinegar are not hazardous waste. This forum covers this.

You would definitely lose that argument in court.
These are deadly toxic and hazardous wastes.

No offense seaslush, but it seems to me that you learned a very due and needed lesson for yourself...

I'd suggest you drop all this "going to court" silliness, unless you want to pay much much more for the repeat course :)

You won't get ANY money out of this, you'll just make a fool out of yourself and waste a lot of time...

You could gain a lot more knowledge out of it if you would spend that time reading this forum, learning... in a few months you will see clearly your mistakes, what you did wrong...

It will cost you more than you've received already. The only winners will be the lawyers.

If you received your gold nett of their charges I would genuinely be chalking it up to experience and move on because you've got no way to prove them wrong.

It would be really good for you if you took that advice, but history tells me you probably won't Sir. So divorce emotion from this as hard as that may be, and think with your head not your heart.

anachronism said:
It will cost you more than you've received already. The only winners will be the lawyers.

If you received your gold nett of their charges I would genuinely be chalking it up to experience and move on because you've got no way to prove them wrong.

It would be really good for you if you took that advice, but history tells me you probably won't Sir. So divorce emotion from this as hard as that may be, and think with your head not your heart.

Per the underlined - this is the best advice you have been given - I suggest you follow it :!:

snoman701

The material was free
25% for refining
more then 2.7

Again per the underlined

Just how many hours do you think an attorney is going to spend (charge you) to sue (at $250/hour)

10 hours - nope

20 hours "maybe" - at the "very' least --- you just lost money

30 hours - more likely - now you are spending money out of your own pocket

40 hours - most likely - now you are spending LOTS of money out of your pocket

And the above is based on the FACT that you are NOT going to win this :!: :!: :!:

Kurt

I don't know why he's so concerned with what the attorney charges.
Wait until he gets my bill! :mrgreen:
I guess i could qualify as an expert in the field, maybe not!
It was just the other day my quote: "Street Creed" was called into question!

It's hard for people to make these decisions and sort out difficult choices. That's why it's best just to hire the proper lawyers and professionals and let them all get together and sort this out. Sometimes these things can take months or even years!

Or you could go with this guy, but he would probably charge more than i would. :arrow: https://www.ebay.com/

butcher said:
You have no way of knowing if you were paid fairly on the metals recovered.

This...right here.

You have no case.

What's worse, is that at this point, your statements are libelous.

We are only seeing one side of the story, and it has holes big enough to drive a semi truck through. You've named them publicly, labeled them a thief...with little to no evidence of what you should have been paid other than your historical experience with fingers...which are a high grade item and could have been the highest valued item included. Even after it was pointed out that there is a possibility that their payout is legitimate.

I can see many scenarios where you were ripped off, but you haven't done anything to disprove the payout you were given.

kurtak said:
anachronism said:

Per the underlined - this is the best advice you have been given - I suggest you follow it :!:

snoman701

The material was free
25% for refining
more then 2.7

Again per the underlined

Just how many hours do you think an attorney is going to spend (charge you) to sue (at $250/hour)

10 hours - nope

20 hours "maybe" - at the "very' least --- you just lost money

30 hours - more likely - now you are spending money out of your own pocket

40 hours - most likely - now you are spending LOTS of money out of your pocket

And the above is based on the FACT that you are NOT going to win this :!: :!: :!:

Kurt

And you are too nice to mention paralegal hours, expert witness per diem + 20%, court fees, etc.

There’s a reason lawsuits don’t happen over small amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seaslush said:
goldenchild
I thought that I might process the gold at home but after the first batch I can say that a 167 lbs is a lot of processing and the other components take a different process. I really don’t want to play with nitric acid.
You have to remember that I worked at a scrapyard that had old electronic components built in the sixties when gold was only $300

I'll say this and then I'm done. You're valuing ALL of your scrap from the 10lbs of fingers you processed. However you said you only sent the refiner 15lbs of fingers. Not 167lbs (all fingers). So lets say that you indeed got 1 ounce from the 10lbs you personally processed. And the 15 additional pounds was similar enough to what you processed. That means you would get about 1.5 ounces from the fingers. How do you know that all the other scrap didn't amount to 1.2 ounces? That would give you the 2.7 they came up with. Without getting an assay of all your material there simply isn't a way to prove what your yield should have been. Good luck.

seaslush said:
ericrm
It is the principle of honesty
Their web page is full of bs
They know that it will be almost impossible to prove.

well if you took it for free from the yards for 13 years just like all the other guys did. it sound to me that you have been stealing your employer for 13 years. maybe you should just lay low. if it were me i would not want my ex boss knowing that i took 25000$ (or whatever you think your material was worth) with the hope of selling it in his back...

We don't know what the deal between the yard and seaslush was. Maybe he had permission to take some material out, maybe he owns the yard. Better not accusing anyone for stealing without knowing the details.

For a couple of years I had an informal deal with a yard. I was allowed to take connectors and electronics from a big pile of mixed scrap if I just sorted the stuff I dismantled. They got the cables, aluminium, copper, steel, brass and other stuff sorted for free, I got material for refining. I just loved when big racks of electromechanical exchanges arrived. I brought the relays back home, extracted all contact points and then returned with the base metals.

So I got my stuff "for free" too, one ounce of gold was extracted from scrap I collected that time when I visited Jon this summer. Over a kilo of silver is still sitting in a box at home and I probably have more stuff left from that deal too. The yard got several tons of scrap dismantled for free and only lost the stuff they really didn't have the time to mess with.

Göran

thanks Göran that is the same deal I had.

Funny that not one of the replies did a search on GRC for complaints
I found two.

I am pretty sure that everyone here agrees that I got ripped off - they did not do the promised assays as stated on their web page, thus destroying the evidence and making all most impossible to prove the yield. A forensic audit of that month may shed some light. I will let the IRS know… and my story on social media will be payback (without calling them liars). Thanks all for all the input..

Your reply on any media that names names must only be facts. They can be tilted to your “injustice” but little to know feelings or threats must be in it. If you do wonder from the facts you open yourself to libelous law suits. Also do not say in any such way that if they make it right you will change your review. That’s extortion (I had a friend get in some hot water with that) you can simply say that you will add to it any new information that you get.

Hope this helps.

I’ve felt screwed and I’ve had clients feel screwed by me. That doesn’t mean it happened.

Eric

seaslush said:

I found two.

I am pretty sure that everyone here agrees that I got ripped off - they did not do the promised assays as stated on their web page, thus destroying the evidence and making all most impossible to prove the yield. A forensic audit of that month may shed some light. I will let the IRS know… and my story on social media will be payback (without calling them liars). Thanks all for all the input..

The way you've worded this reply shows that you've only listened to the people who have agreed with your position, and you've discounted everyone else. I don't agree that you've been ripped off and most people don't either. You may have been. but as people have pointed out, you don't know for sure and cannot prove it without spending a lot of money.

You're going to let the IRS know- that shows three things. Firstly that despite advice you're after revenge. Dig two graves. Secondly that you're not using your head because the IRS will want to know a lot more than you think you can get away with telling them. Once you open that Pandora's box it can never be shut again. Thirdly you're so wrapped up in your emotion that you're becoming deluded. You throw this up on social media and you'll get exactly the same responses as you're getting here, apart from the other thickos who think the world owes them a living.

Do what you will, but my cup of sympathy is now empty.

Edit for typo

I'm agreeing with Jon.

I haven't taken a position on if you were ripped off or not. I don't have enough facts to make a judgement on that.

Based on what I have seen on their website and your story, I believe this is a deal that went sour because GRC doesn't seem to be set up for dealing with electronic scrap and you didn't know enough to see the warning signs.

The fact that you got back 150 pounds of material just shows they don't have a product stream that could absorb your scrap. And you still have a lot of your gold left in that material.

The original 180 pounds is just a tiny lot, I don't know of any professional refinery that would treat it as a separate lot. Just handling charges and assay costs to keep it separate from other scrap streams would eat up most of the values extracted. This was a lot more suited for boardsort than a mainly carat gold refinery.

So I believe that both you and GRC is at fault. You for sending it to a company not suited to handling the material and having too high expectations and not recognizing the warning signs. GRC for accepting a lot they couldn't handle in a professional way.

In the end I think you both have made a loss on this deal and you should both swallow your pride and learn from it. Just move on, going for revenge would not do you any good and you will only loose more money.

That is my take on this, based on your side of the story and the website of GRC which both may be factually wrong or not complete.

Göran

anachronism said:
seaslush said:

I found two.

The way you've worded this reply shows that you've only listened to the people who have agreed with your position, and you've discounted everyone else. I don't agree that you've been ripped off and most people don't either. You may have been. but as people have pointed out, you don't know for sure and cannot prove it without spending a lot of money.

You're going to let the IRS know- that shows three things. Firstly that despite advice you're after revenge. Dig two graves. Secondly that you're not using your head because the IRS will want to know a lot more than you think you can get away with telling them. Once you open that Pandora's box it can never be shut again. Thirdly you're so wrapped up in your emotion that you're becoming deluded. You throw this up on social media and you'll get exactly the same responses as you're getting here, apart from the other thickos who think the world owes them a living.

Do what you will, but my cup of sympathy is now empty.

Edit for typo

Per the underlined - I agree with Jon --- in other words - I do NOT agree that you got ripped off - you are hearing what "you want to hear" --- not what people are telling you :roll:

for what it's worth - most everyone that has replied to this thread are "in fact" professional refiners & have been at this for a VERY long time - you just are not listening to what they are telling you

To clarify --- you may - or - may NOT have been ripped off --- bottom line - there is NO WAY TO PROVE IT ether way :!: :!: :!: :roll:

Kurt

I see it from another point of view. The cost to pursue this, and it will be high, is enough to make a fair start at another lot of materials. Take what you got from that batch, and buy more material at a decent price and start with another refiner. The problem is if you have posted the same information elsewhere that is posted here, it could make if pretty difficult to find anyone to refine it for you. All this leads to my point, had you learned more about the refining aspect and less about the "money in your pocket" side you would have been better prepared for the outcome, good or bad.

Of course you could learn to refine it yourself, and recover the material that may have been left by the previous refiner and protect yourself from such potential events from occurring again.

Shark said:
The problem is if you have posted the same information elsewhere that is posted here, it could make if pretty difficult to find anyone to refine it for you.

A couple days ago, for a brief a moment I thought to myself, "self...you should contact him, there's probably a good amount of gold LEFT that wasn't recovered". Then your point smacked me upside the head.

Actually...what's left could tell more of the story than any of us can even begin to guess.

Back