River Rock

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneware

Curious if loose hard rock found on a placer claim could be over staked as a mineral claim.

I've crushed a small sample then digested this in AR, drawn off a small sample for a copper drop got a nice black precipitate.

Tomorrow I'll make up some stannous.

When I crushed the sample a lot of brown powder became visible this power dissolves into AR almost immediately what is left over is some quartz along with some sulfides. I'll post the results when I have them.

I'm hoping the rock is made up mainly from alluvial gold dust.

rock2.jpg

rock4.jpg

cement.jpg

Generally speaking; the "Talus Slope" below a hardrock ledge/slope is considered part of the Hardrock claim ... but once that material has been dispersed into the creek, it's Placer material

To your question of overfiling, my understanding is that it is not legal, and in some states, if deliberately done, could constitute criminal fraud.

As a disclaimer, my understanding could be wrong. This question is best asked on one of the many mining or prospecting forums. This forum is about recovery and refining of precious metals, not mining law.

Time for more coffee.

galenrog said:
To your question of overfiling, my understanding is that it is not legal, and in some states, if deliberately done, could constitute criminal fraud.

As a disclaimer, my understanding could be wrong. This question is best asked on one of the many mining or prospecting forums. This forum is about recovery and refining of precious metals, not mining law.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks for your reply but Heavy-Black-Sand gave the answer needed, loose material by definition is considered placer.

The gravel being mined from this pit is placer while the outcrop would be covered under a hard rock claim by someone registering such a claim on the same property the placer exists on.
pit1.jpg

Screenshot-from-2021-07-23-17-13-34.png

Talus Slope material is easy to identify, because it's edges haven't been rounded off yet (the rock material still has it's sharp edges) because it has moved only a very very short distance from the hardrock it has broken off from ... once the material hits a creek/watercourse, the edges very quickly start getting rounded off

Wikipedia def. ~ "Talus slope" refers to a collection of Talus or broken rock which rests near the surface it detached from.

Would it be possible to use the sulfur dioxide from roasting a sulfide mineral to precipitate gold from a leach.

stoneware said:
Would it be possible to use the sulfur dioxide from roasting a sulfide mineral to precipitate gold from a leach.

https://byjus.com/chemistry/sulphur-dioxide/

Preparation of Sulphur Dioxide

1. In the laboratory, sulphur dioxide is prepared by the reaction of metallic sulphite or a metallic bisulphite with dilute acid. For example, a reaction between the dilute sulphuric acid and sodium sulphite will result in the formation of SO2.

Na2SO3 + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + H2O + SO2

2. Commercially it is obtained as a by-product released from the roasting of sulphide ores. The gas obtained is dried, liquefied and then stored in steel cylinders.

4FeS2 (s) + 11 O2 (g) →2Fe2O3 (s) + 8SO2 (g)

stoneware said:
Curious if loose hard rock found on a placer claim could be over staked as a mineral claim.

glenrog is correct here - you "can NOT" over stake a placer over a load - nor can you over stake a load over a placer

when you stake (file) a claim it it is filed based on discovery "of the minerals" which gives you the right to the minerals on that claim

if you discover a vain (lode) then you file the discovery of minerals as a lode - but your claim is a claim on the minerals within the claim boundaries - which includes any placer on the claim

Like wise - if you "discover" placer then you file a placer claim - which again is a claim on "the minerals" - so if a vain is found after "original" discovery those minerals are included in the "mineral rights" of the claim

In other words - a mining claim is a claim on "the minerals" - how the right to those minerals are filed only depends on how they where "originally" discovered

trying to file a lode over a placer - or a placer over a lode --- is "mineral TRESPASS"

Kurt

glenrog is correct here - you "can NOT" over stake a placer over a load - nor can you over stake a load over a placer

when you stake (file) a claim it it is filed based on discovery "of the minerals" which gives you the right to the minerals on that claim

if you discover a vain (lode) then you file the discovery of minerals as a lode - but your claim is a claim on the minerals within the claim boundaries - which includes any placer on the claim

Like wise - if you "discover" placer then you file a placer claim - which again is a claim on "the minerals" - so if a vain is found after "original" discovery those minerals are included in the "mineral rights" of the claim

In other words - a mining claim is a claim on "the minerals" - how the right to those minerals are filed only depends on how they where "originally" discovered

trying to file a lode over a placer - or a placer over a lode --- is "mineral TRESPASS"

Kurt
It depends on the "mining jurisdiction": in BC, you have both "Placer" and Hardrock" claims that both occupy the exact same area/GPS cords ..... the mineral ownership is divided up between "Hardrock/lode" ore and "Placer" ore.

Mining law is complex. I am assuming you are talking about unpatented claims. In the States, you cannot file a lode over the placer, and vise versa. If you have a lode claim which runs parallel to an adjacent claim, if the vein runs under the other peoples claim, but "apexes" on your claim, you can mine under the other peoples claim, forever. Even under several claims that are adjacent to the other claims you mined under already. This is called the "Apex" law. This is a law that only allows for the vein sideline (length of the claim), to be mined. This law applies to both placer, and hard rock, or lode claims. This also applies to both patented, and unpatented mining claims. You cannot enter from the other claim holders surface area, if you are mining your apex vein, under the other claim owners property. According to the law, the definition of placer is "rock or minerals not in place", while lode is "rock/mineral in place". If there are 2 claims filed on the same piece of ground, the oldest recorded, valid claim, has the first right to mine. Many times a good claim is filed on multiple times. In fact, it can be claimed up infinitely. All legal. But the lowest claim number still has the first right to mine, and keep all other prospector/miners off the claim. The Sheriff is the agency to contact, in the event of a trespass claim. You cannot keep the general public off the property(ies), as the general public still has the right to hunt/fish, recreate, or even have a picnic, on your unpatented mining claim.

Mining law is complex. I am assuming you are talking about unpatented claims. In the States, you cannot file a lode over the placer, and vise versa. If you have a lode claim which runs parallel to an adjacent claim, if the vein runs under the other peoples claim, but "apexes" on your claim, you can mine under the other peoples claim, forever. Even under several claims that are adjacent to the other claims you mined under already. This is called the "Apex" law. This is a law that only allows for the vein sideline (length of the claim), to be mined. This law applies to both placer, and hard rock, or lode claims. This also applies to both patented, and unpatented mining claims. You cannot enter from the other claim holders surface area, if you are mining your apex vein, under the other claim owners property. According to the law, the definition of placer is "rock or minerals not in place", while lode is "rock/mineral in place". If there are 2 claims filed on the same piece of ground, the oldest recorded, valid claim, has the first right to mine. Many times a good claim is filed on multiple times. In fact, it can be claimed up infinitely. All legal. But the lowest claim number still has the first right to mine, and keep all other prospector/miners off the claim. The Sheriff is the agency to contact, in the event of a trespass claim. You cannot keep the general public off the property(ies), as the general public still has the right to hunt/fish, recreate, or even have a picnic, on your unpatented mining claim.
Yes ... the current mineral/placer claim ownership system in BC is essetially equivalnet to US unpatented claims ..... early BC mining law use to have claims called "crown grants" that carried very extensive rights - but the crown grant & legacy claims are rare now.

Back