Safety Equipment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wich is it, fine or a no no?
In my eyes, H2S is the most dangerous natural gas out there.
It will kill you fast, and you won’t even notice.
Really repugnant smell as long as it is in safe levels, in lethal levels you won’t even notice it.

Simply said, do not play with it!!!

I know. I worked on oil refineries for years. Nasty stuff. Run as soon you smell it.

It wasn't a question actually. I just can't help pointing out contradictions. Especially when made by the same person.

If you have lots of exposure without good ventilation it is fine. It sort of like CO or carbon monoxide. I made H2S many times and the key is A) Being able to smell it, B) Neutralizing products with NaOH and C) well ventilated area.

If you have lots of exposure without good ventilation it is fine. It sort of like CO or carbon monoxide. I made H2S many times and the key is A) Being able to smell it, B) Neutralizing products with NaOH and C) well ventilated area.
Are you reading what you wrote?

Exposure to H2S is not fine anywhere, and certainly not in a not ventilated area.

The first thing that the H2S do is shut down/overpower your nerves in your "nose".
After that you have no idea that its there, lethal exposure is rapid and one to two inhalations will lead to unconsciousness.
The only treatment is to get the unconscious person to a safe zone and give oxygen before hospital.
It is heavier than air and can collect in recesses and such.

Back