Same guy dust buster/toilet float/coffee maker fume scrubber

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to stop what??? Locked for what? What do you see wrong besides civil discussion? He said what he felt. That's his right! Nothing wrong with that.

goldenchild said:
Palladium said:
On another side note here was my first generation scrubber design for my use. We are now at the 3rd prototype of this design and i call tell you EVERY fault it this design.

Now that is a cool design 8) It looks like it goes from left to right with the connection to the reaction vessel being on the left and the exiting vapors to the right. Is this for smaller reactions like in flasks? Are you patenting it? I would like to see if I could come up with a similar design on a slightly larger scale. Just figured I'd ask :D

It works under vacuum left to right or vice versa. It’s actually a project I’m working on for a design for forum members. I use the clear tubes so I can observe the characteristics of the air flow and the design. I have plans and have actually built a small-large scale version out of pvc. I haven’t posted anything about it because 1. The design is not ready or proven for release into the public. In other words it needs to be 100% as safe as I can make it and engineered not to fail. I won’t make junk! 2. If I did it would be on ebay by now so the release of my findings and research will have to wait until the product releases to be made public. Nothing special about it it’s just science. The reaction vessel is a whole nother story.

Ah. I guess at some point you would need a vaccum if you didn't have a constant supply of air flow from the reaction vessel. I was thinking a fumehood, blower, piping etcetera (Hi Harold). Good luck and can't wait to see it. I have a little project I want to work on now :idea:

Here is the design model.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 205
I think we can all tell that his system is in fact, not safe. There is no way it could be safe given the equipment that is being used. That doesn't take away from the fact, even though the equipment is cheesy, that the idea to bring all those parts together was brilliant.

HOWEVER

Putting something together really fast, and claiming it works without testing until failure is a bad way to start a business. The parts in this system will fail, and when they do there is going to be problems and issues with gasses in an enclosed area. It''s one thing to take a risk with your own life, that is just stupid but you are not hurting anyone else. It's a totally different thing to risk the lives of other people, just to make a profit.

Truly, if you care about your customers well being, you should design a system that is safe. You shouldn't sell this to anyone, specially people that do not even understand enough to know how deadly and dangerous the processes are.

You should also be more clear on what type of material this system can process

These are only my opinions, when I say "you should" it's what I think and feel, but I am not demanding you do so.

I like it that you were so ingenious in your design, I think it's really interesting how you cobbled together equipment, but still it's Jerry Rigging. And dangerous, and I feel if you had any morals or integrity that you would take it off the market until you can speak with some of the engineers on this site, who have worked with these types of processes, so that you can better develop your idea. Until that time, until you can honestly answer concerns of Pro's on this site, until you can do things correctly you shouldn't be doing anything at all.

Just my opinion, hope I don't offend, and all the rest of the disclaimers.

Palladium said:
Here is the design model.

Wow. Much more sophisticated than mine. I actually did a crude draw up of what I wanted to make. Keep in mind this was thrown together quickly so don't laugh too much :lol: Anyone see why this wouldn't work?

scrubber.jpg

I would put the blower after the 5 gal buckets creating a suction. It will help extend the life of the blower from the fumes.

I would put the blower after the 5 gal buckets creating a suction. It will help extend the life of the blower from the fumes.

That's why I set my shop vac past the drum. I need to finish proper installation. The shop vac is pretty loud, though... I'll have to sound proof it in order to work at night or early in the mornings.

Phil

Attachments

• Scrubber 005.JPG
    Scrubber 005.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Scrubber 006.JPG
    Scrubber 006.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Scrubber 004.JPG
    Scrubber 004.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 186
philddreamer said:

That's why I set my shop vac past the drum. I need to finish proper installation. The shop vac is pretty loud, though... I'll have to sound proof it in order to work at night or early in the mornings.

Phil

Hey Phil,

I was looking at your picture and noticed that the wood on what looks like the exit point is discolored. Is it possible that a little bit of NOx is escaping, and bleaching the wood a different color? If that's what is happening, you might want to point your exhaust away from the wood siding, NOx when absorbed by wood, makes the wood more combustible.

I apologize if you already know this. Also if that isn't the exhaust and I have mistaken the pictures.

Scott

I'd be worried about the suction. Would it be enough? The blower I'm using now is about 460cfm. Phil have you tested the suction on your setup? It seems like a shopvac wouldnt have enough suction to pull through a 55 gal drum Or at least it would take a while to create a decent vacuum. I would think you would have to cover the opening on the reaction side until the vacuum was created. And then if the piping is at all submerged it would need even greater pull.

With my setup we're talking three 5 gallon buckets packed with wiffle balls with the piping partially submerged in the liquid. Then you have to figure the piping itself. For the new fume hood I want to build it will be a 27 gallon tote. So figure in the square feet for fume hood, piping, buckets and liquid. I don't know :|

The first vid is so you can see the setup and space I'm working with. The second is of my current setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oQU-SyYZY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioVNjuDJRe0[/youtube]

Hi Scott!

I know, but you don't have to apologize. The project, though, is not finished. I ran it a few times to check if the 6hp shop vac would be enough suction; it's more than plenty! But the vac is too loud & I neeed to muffle it some how. The exhaust pipe will be running up about 10'. Wiffle balls will be added & the caustic when I'm done.

Hi Mario!

The 6hp shop vac is more than plenty, I don't fill the drum to the top, only about 1/3rd. The suction is instant. The vacuum created is so strong that if I fill it much higher, it sucks the water into the vac. I did my first scruber out of 5 gal buckets, but it sucked the water & as I was scratching my head wondering where to buy a 55 gal plastic drum, when my friend Arthur called & asked me if I could use a plastic 55 gal drum, he just drove by one on the side of the road! :shock:
I don't think "pushing" the air thru 3 - 5 gal buckets will work. I could be wrong.
Phil

Attachments

• Scrubber 001.JPG
    Scrubber 001.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 174
JAJAJAJA!!! :lol: im sorry, i just find it humorous that the guy is typing a laugh in his native language.

SBrown said:
publius said:
I wonder if this if a Freudian slip?
Adapter for Crack Pot Lid – (1)
:lol:

Lol, seems fitting though, a crack pot, funny thing is that people who make Meth use some of the same equipment and acids. I was looking for an 11 liter reaction flask, and ran across a news article about a meth lab that was busted, that was using eight 11 liter reaction flasks as well as 22 liter and 4 50 liter reaction flasks. I am starting to think that purchasing a used reaction flask from an unknown source might not be a great idea.

So who knows, maybe this system is doubling as a meth lab. It would probably be safer than your local neighborhood meth palace though.

Scott

That lab was probably using the red phosphorus/iodine method. 10 or 11 years ago, when I was young and dumb, that was "the" method to use. Nowadays, most "labs" are using Lithium as a catalyst in a completely different and simpler process. The recent (last 10 years) popularity of Lithium batteries is what caused this new Meth epidemic (at least locally). Instead of a few labs and a lot of users, now we've got more Meth heads and they're all making their own.

I only mention this for the benefit of those on the forum who handle Lithium on a daily basis.

Back