Scrap Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you precipitate the powder yourself?If so,what method did you use to precipitate? Did you wash the powder before melting it? And if so did you use nitric? Copper nitrate crystals are blue,I am just wondering if that had anything to do with it.
But yes it does have a very beautiful look to it.

The source of your solution may give the answer to your question. The button looks to be more like a karat alloy than fine gold so if it's a jewellers stripping solution the colour in the flux might be from copper that strips along with the gold, it's also possible that not all the cyanide was removed from the powder and that colours your flux depending on the other metals in the salts remaining.

Geo said:
isn't cyanide a blue-green crystal? keep in mind im a little bit color blind. :roll:
No. Snow white.
I expect that blue slag is loaded with copper.

Harold

Typically, what is done is to digest the zinc away with nitric acid. The oxidizing nature of the nitric acid will destroy some of the cyanide and be all that much "safer".

goldsilverpro posted excellent advice on recovering the gold, just search it up.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12673&p=126654&hilit=cyanide#p126654

It's pretty straightforward. Just rinse the zinc precipitate as much as possible. If you're really concerned, add an excess of strong bleach.

This is the second topic where Noble Metals Recovery, LL have removed all that he posted... don't like it!

:evil:

Göran

g_axelsson said:
This is the second topic where Noble Metals Recovery, LL have removed all that he posted... don't like it!

:evil:

Göran
It's against board policy. I'm going to ban him for his trouble.

Harold

Latest posts

Back