Scrap Wire and Depopulated Boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agpodt77339

Is there any place where you can sell pieces of wire and depopulated boards? I have been keeping these, because I hate throwing stuff away, but I have no clue what to do with them. Would some scrap yards be interested in them?
I have clipped all the ends and connectors off the wires, but they still have the plastic on them. Not all of the wire is copper colored. Will I have to separated these? Does the length of the wires matter?
I have not completely depopulated the boards yet, but plan to when I get an old toaster oven, or making something to heat up the boards.
I know it probably depends on where you sell them, but if places buy this, about how much can I expect to get?

Thanks,
Chris

The scrap yard I deal with buys insulated wire.
The price is depending on thickness. The last time
I sold some was .69 per lb., but have gotten up
to $1.50 lb for the type of wire from computers,
and they are usually just the little pieces in a bag.
The silver color ones don't matter they take them
all. The unpopulated board question is one I would
like to know also. Jim

Is insulated wire just normal wire with the plastic on it?(I'm a dummy with terminology) Do they take IDE ribbons too?
Thanks for the quick response(1-2 mins after I posted)

Yes the wire with the plastic insulation,
they just want the plastic connectors and
plugs cut off. They buy the ribbon cables
with the other wire also. Jim

I worked 21 years in the scrap industy, technicaly there are 3 grades of insulated copper. #1 insulated is unplated wire of 16 gauge and heavier, #2 insulated is plated and unplated with single layer plastic insulation which would include ribbon cables, and #3 insulated wire is all thickly insulated and double insulated wire such as power cords and parallel cables. The general rule was if the scrap was mixed you paid for the lowest grade. It is always best to know the grade of material you have and have it sorted. Often you can get a better price by having several hundred pounds and talking to a buyer.

A good website to get information on the grades of scrap is
http://www.recycle.net they have listings giving a desciption of the different grades and the market price for most recyclable materials

agpodt77339 said:
Is it just a normal scrap yard that buys the boards and wires? Do the boards have to have all the pieces removed?
Thanks
yes it is a normal yard. i know that they buy the mother boards i don't think it would matter if theres stuff on it or not.

I ddo not seperate by aue and get 1$ per pound. I usually wait till i get a 55 gallon trash can filled (about 2 weeks)

I ave no local dealers for circuit boards and usually ebay te in 20 pound lots or more

Back