Seperating Nickel/Copper Alloy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott2357

I did a forum search for this and didn't find anything, so if it's already been answered, I apologize.

I've got some rather large terminal bars left over from a power substation upgrade. They weigh about 3-4 lbs. each. I was told they were mostly nickel but had about a 20% copper mix.

1. What's the best way to test for both metals?
2. How can these be seperated/refined easily?

Thanks.

Highly unlikely you'll find nickel coming from a substation, what was listed on the manifest for this tender.

Well, I don't actually have them... yet. I know a guy who owns a general tech recycling business and sometimes lets me poke around in some of the stuff when it comes in. The substation source is second hand information and likely inaccurate. They do look like nickel and have the same outside appearance as a US 5-cent piece. I hack sawed through one and it was very hard and solid all the way through. The cut part is shinier than steel but not quite as much as chrome.

Route 1
Cathode - Cu, electrolyte - H2SO4 (+ CuSO4 + NiSO4)with trace HNO3, Anode - Your bar
HNO3 depolarizes Cu and preventing Ni deposition
Route 2
Cathode - Ni, electrolyte - HCl (+ NiCl2 + CuCl2) with Ni depolarizer, voltage such as to use advantage of 0.5V of Ni over Cu, so that
only Ni deposits...
good luck
Lino1406 - electrochemist

Thanks Lino, that's great info. :shock:

I'd rather not destroy anything so I do have a few questions (OK a lot) about the formula... Is it .5v for both routes? .5v seems low, is that a minimum or optimum. What if higher, like 6v or 12v? Do you have recommended proportions for the electrolyte mix? To make sure I understand, in route 1 the cathode should be Cu to attract Cu and route 2 Ni to deposite Ni? What does "with Ni depolarizer" mean? In both cases, does the other metal not being deposited just dissolve into the electrolyte?

Sorry for all the questions but I love details. They keep me healthier. :D

Is the difference between Ni and Cu, so from the voltage Ni dissolves, you
need theoretically yet another 0.5V to dissolve copper, which is quite
useful to separate them. One Ni Depolarizer, is HCl itself, another boric acid and then what you need is either experimenting or electroplating (metal finishing) handbook. 0-6V may be good if you have 0.1V division
Again, good luck

What Lino is talking about is oxidation-Reduction potentials of the elements.

You can actually measure the electrical potentials of the chemical reaction as it proceeds, just like a battery charging or discharging.

High tech refineries actually use this to tell when a reaction for a given element is complete.

It's a complicated but interesting subject.

Platdigger said:
Scott, why try to separate the metals?

You can get a real good price for this type of scrap, just like it is.
Randy

plus you now have metal worth less than the original. I don't get the point either, but then,I'm just an old fool.

Scott2357 said:
Mainly just a learning process as to what can and can't be done.

You may also learn that once you've parted the two metals, there is no market for them, so the art you master will cost you money, with no prospects of recovery. Brings back memories of my two 55 gallon drums of copper, recovered from solutions with scrap steel.

Harold

Hiii....

I m from India.... the best way is to check with the electronic equipment.... i don't remember the name... this equipment is available with most of the manufacturer of metal. U can check out with them they will also guide you to separate both copper and nickel.

Are u planning to sell it for scrap. If yes please let me know the weight as well as the rate of same. :lol:

Latest posts

Back