Shattering glass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eaheisler

How can I stop my mason jars from shattering. I've busted 1 with a heat lamp and now 2 with a heating plate for a total of 3 busted contains.

Either invest in some borosilicate containers (beakers, pyrex), or use something to distribute the heat evenly over your mason jar. You might want to try filling a pot of some sort with water, put that pot on your heat source, and then place your mason jar in the water to heat. Mason jars are meant to be heated in boiling water so they should withstand it. Just make sure to avoid thermal shock, like placing a room temperature jar in boiling water, or a hot jar under cold water.

Also, if your jars are old or they have been heated and cooled too many times, they may be too fragile to heat, and you might just need new jars.

On the heating plate put sand; and place the beaker on it. The sand will take form of the beaker it self and thus evenly distributing the sand beneath it.

If you want to go a step higher; you might invest in some Pyrex casserole dishes to put it in in it; it case the beaker shatters the dish will hold the fluid.

9kuuby9 said:
On the heating plate put sand; and place the beaker on it. The sand will take form of the beaker it self and thus evenly distributing the sand beneath it.

If you want to go a step higher; you might invest in some Pyrex casserole dishes to put it in in it; it case the beaker shatters the dish will hold the fluid.
Unless you're extremely lucky, Pyrex casserole dishes will break over any sort of direct heat. I certainly wouldn't use them. Use Corning Ware pyroceram dishes to set your beaker, etc., in when heating.

goldsilverpro said:
9kuuby9 said:

Unless you're extremely lucky, Pyrex casserole dishes will break over any sort of direct heat. I certainly wouldn't use them. Use Corning Ware pyroceram dishes to set your beaker, etc., in when heating.

That is what I inted to say, I guess casserole dishes came first to mind.

Thank you for pointing that out!

Latest posts

Back