Should I come clean with the police?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone should know their rights, including when they are and are not required to allow law enforcement to enter or search their homes/vehicles/businesses. In the vast majority of cases, It takes more than a phone call from a nosy neighbor, or a simple hunch to justify forcing entry. With a warrant, they are permitted to only search within the very specific parameters provided by the warrant, and they cannot charge you for things not covered by the warrant. If they do, it will be tossed out in court as it constitutes a violation of your rights. If you invite or allow them in without a warrant, you've just given them carte blanche to arrest you for ANYTHING they happen to find. If they barge in without a warrant, make it unquestionably clear that you do not consent to any search by very loudly saying so. Make it loud enough, and repeat it often enough that anyone in your neighborhood should hear it.

Also keep in mind that you have NO obligation to answer ANY questions posed by law enforcement, (other than those asked to establish your identity - and in many locales, it is sufficient to verbalize your identity, with no requirement to provide any identifying documents). They WILL use anything you say against you. You are not required to, and cannot be compelled to give information that may be self-incriminating. Too many people effectively convict themselves by running their mouths, and handing over information on a silver platter. The cops are NOT your friends. Even when you get pulled over for a simple traffic violation, the questions they ask are designed to get you to give them the information they need to get you convicted. "What's your hurry?", "Why were you going so fast?", "You didn't see that 'stop' sign, did you?", etc. These are all loaded questions, and when you provide the response they are designed to elicit, you've just sealed your own fate. Keep in mind that while the police can lie to you endlessly, without repercussion, to accomplish their goal of extricating information from you, it is a crime for you to lie to them.

To summarize, keep your mouth shut and immediately invoke your right to an attorney.

Pikachu2000 said:
Everyone should know their rights, including when they are and are not required to allow law enforcement to enter or search their homes/vehicles/businesses. In the vast majority of cases, It takes more than a phone call from a nosy neighbor, or a simple hunch to justify forcing entry. With a warrant, they are permitted to only search within the very specific parameters provided by the warrant, and they cannot charge you for things not covered by the warrant. If they do, it will be tossed out in court as it constitutes a violation of your rights. If you invite or allow them in without a warrant, you've just given them carte blanche to arrest you for ANYTHING they happen to find. If they barge in without a warrant, make it unquestionably clear that you do not consent to any search by very loudly saying so. Make it loud enough, and repeat it often enough that anyone in your neighborhood should hear it.

Also keep in mind that you have NO obligation to answer ANY questions posed by law enforcement, (other than those asked to establish your identity - and in many locales, it is sufficient to verbalize your identity, with no requirement to provide any identifying documents). They WILL use anything you say against you. You are not required to, and cannot be compelled to give information that may be self-incriminating. Too many people effectively convict themselves by running their mouths, and handing over information on a silver platter. The cops are NOT your friends. Even when you get pulled over for a simple traffic violation, the questions they ask are designed to get you to give them the information they need to get you convicted. "What's your hurry?", "Why were you going so fast?", "You didn't see that 'stop' sign, did you?", etc. These are all loaded questions, and when you provide the response they are designed to elicit, you've just sealed your own fate. Keep in mind that while the police can lie to you endlessly, without repercussion, to accomplish their goal of extricating information from you, it is a crime for you to lie to them.

To summarize, keep your mouth shut and immediately invoke your right to an attorney.

^Complete truth!

No, and I mean NO. The police have never done me any favors. When I had things stolen or had problems I was the one that was looked at as being suspicious and I was the victim. Early in life as a young man I was a pretty good fellow. Wouldn't tell a lie, help people with anything, never took any drugs or drank alcohol, made straight A's in school, etc. I got into trouble with the law and it was a total mistake. I never broke the law. I got charged and went to court and stood up in front of the judge and told the whole truth strong in my faith that all would be well. As you might suspect, all was not well. I was punished for a crime I had no part in and actually did not even occur at all. I learned then that the world will believe a lie quicker than the truth. I still tell the truth to this day but half the time I am not believed.

I would not involve the police in any way. It is not any of their business what you do as a hobby as long as you are responsible and don't hurt anyone. Now if you were to take this to the next level and run it as a business then I would suggest you get a business license and you would probably have to get some sort of license for dealing with certain chemicals but I would not involve the police unless there was no other alternative. I mean really, why do they need to know anything?

What if my dad is the local Fire Mashal? He said he'd help me keep in with regultions here in Texas. I have told others, what I am doing like the police and my dad just so nosey neghibhors wouldn't put me in trouble with law inforcements officals. Although mostly I am in a very good realtionship with my neghibors, so I like too keep it that way.

Ryriena,
That is great you can have that kind of relationship, if others know you work with the chemistry of metals, they wouldn't suspect a drug lab when they seen you with your lab glass.

Not everyone here on the forum can do that, some places it would be hard for neighbors or the authorities to understand what your doing even if you told them, even a DEQ officer may not understand what you are doing, even after you try to show them, even if you did they may not know you are working safely with the toxic metals, I had a DEQ officer visit me, he had no idea about the chemistry, or how to deal with the toxic sludge chemically, or even that someone could deal with it safely on a hobby level, all he knew is that I had five 5 gallon buckets of toxic sludge, I tried to explain to him, and show him how I was treating it to make it safe, he did not seem to understand what I was talking about.

You also need be very careful of who you tell what you are doing, and who else they may tell, people seem to get the wrong idea easily, I do not have much gold, but if someone heard I refine gold, they may get the idea I have lots of gold, and they can get rich easily or they can buy their drugs by coming and robbing me at gun-point, I sure would hate to wake up one night with four drugged and armed meth addicts waking me from a sleep to steal the little bit of gold I have worked so hard for.

I guess every situation is different; we just need be wise about what we say.

butcher said:
but if someone heard I refine gold, they may get the idea I have lots of gold, and they can get rich easily or they can buy their drugs by coming and robbing me at gun-point, I sure would hate to wake up one night with four drugged and armed meth addicts waking me from a sleep to steal the little bit of gold I have worked so hard for.

This is why I personally keep my mouth shut, a gun in my night-stand, and a very loud and grumpy dog (if you're not supposed to be there in the house, trust me he DOES know the difference 8) ) at my disposal

butcher said:
Ryriena,
That is great you can have that kind of relationship, if others know you work with the chemistry of metals, they wouldn't suspect a drug lab when they seen you with your lab glass.

Not everyone here on the forum can do that, some places it would be hard for neighbors or the authorities to understand what your doing even if you told them, even a DEQ officer may not understand what you are doing, even after you try to show them, even if you did they may not know you are working safely with the toxic metals, I had a DEQ officer visit me, he had no idea about the chemistry, or how to deal with the toxic sludge chemically, or even that someone could deal with it safely on a hobby level, all he knew is that I had five 5 gallon buckets of toxic sludge, I tried to explain to him, and show him how I was treating it to make it safe, he did not seem to understand what I was talking about.

You also need be very careful of who you tell what you are doing, and who else they may tell, people seem to get the wrong idea easily, I do not have much gold, but if someone heard I refine gold, they may get the idea I have lots of gold, and they can get rich easily or they can buy their drugs by coming and robbing me at gun-point, I sure would hate to wake up one night with four drugged and armed meth addicts waking me from a sleep to steal the little bit of gold I have worked so hard for.

I support this message 100%.

Palladium said:
butcher said:
Ryriena,

I support this message 100%.

Same here.

Pikachu2000 said:

Some of you already know, I'm a criminal defense attorney. I wholeheartedly support Pikachu's message. The cops are NOT your friends and they WILL use whatever you say against you. As sophisticated as I am in understanding criminal law, I would NEVER speak to the police without an attorney. There is a saying, "An attorney who represents himself, has a fool for a client."

Any search can be accomplished within three means:
1. Consent, which you should never give, or
2. Warrant, or
3. Exigent Circumstances, which requires that there must be an emergency currently in existence whereby there isn't time to gain either consent, nor a warrant.

Just last week, the US Supreme Court handed down a decision requiring the police obtain a warrant to draw blood in OWI cases. Even there, an emergency does not normally exist, though we know that alcohol in the blood is dissipating every minute the blood draw is delayed.

My personal experience, if you can make it just as unpleasant to be dealt with, the authorities will desire less contact with you. In their heart, these people are bullies. They bring the power of the state to bear against people who won't stand up and assert their rights. Just yesterday, one of my clients, a divorce I'm handling, called because her son had been contacted by the police about several instagrams and tweets. He's a photographer and had taken pics of guns and pills and tagged them with #anarchy. They wanted him to be evaluated by the crisis center. I was there for that "investigation." The woman at the crisis center had been briefed by the cops about what she should be asking him. It was an attempt to have him held overnite, though nothing was threatening and he wasn't suicidal. A punishment for posting things they didn't like. We were out of there in a half hour. If he had forced them to take action or leave, they would have left. Unhappy, yes. But unlikely to return.

Skype. http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Skype-with-care-Microsoft-is-reading-everything-you-write-1862870.html

Knowing your rights does not always work.... http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/shock-police-state-video-you-have-no-right-to-be-in-here-you-have-no-right-to-be-in-here_05142013

The police are not your friends. I agree with all the others to keep your mouth shut. I have been the victim of a crime before and just because they didn't like me or wanted to close the case without investigating they turned things around to where I got put on the defensive and wanted to charge me with a crime when I had done nothing wrong. I have been treated like trash by the police just because it suits them at the time so I have learned to lawyer up and make no statement. They will still lie to me and tell me all the things they are going to do if I don't talk to them but if I do they just turn my words around into a statement I didn't say and then it's too late. Ever hear the saying "Silence is Golden"?

It has been my experience that a cop is a cop is a cop 90 0r more percent of the time.

Case in point. Many years ago at the wedding of one of my wife's sisters a close cousin who was a cop and who attended the reception and who also imbibed in the usual libations, arranged for several of his co workers to wait just at the exit of the subdivision to arrest every attendee who left the reception whether they had one drink or ten. The real shame was, all of those too drunk to drive were convinced to stay the night at the lake house.

Back in those days there were no Breath -O-Llizers the smell test sent you to jail.

Well a lot of contradictions on this topic.
I am licensed by the Security Industry Authority and advise corporations , local council and government departments on security maters.
The first thing is that it is imposable to stop a determent thief, all you can do is make him spend time and effort in extraction with as much noise as possible.
I keep two safes one easy to find and one much smaller and well hidden.I also like to leave the odd counterfeit sovereign and gold plated bar in places people will look so if any one did try to take items they would find something they thought was of value and leave.
The unfortunate thing with what I do is that I have had to let most of Exeter know that I am open for business and once you have been at an auction or two buying up all the reasonable priced kit it soon gets around.
I leave my work shop easily accessed by my direct next door neighbors and there for easily accessible to the police.
I would profer they have a covert nose around to satisfy them self's than to bother me.
If you are up to no good it is only a matter of time before you are found out so just don't do so.
A friend of mine did take advantage of the police's hair trigger before.I saw on the news that his house had been raided.
Police tape all around,front door smashed to bit's and the police very bussy digging up and taking away his back garden.
I saw my mate latter on in the pub laughing his head off.He had needed a new front door and could not be bothered to clear the jungle that had grown in his back yard.
So had a friend phone in an anonymous tip that he had buried his two wifes in his back garden.
As he was odiously totally innocent of murder but could have faced charges for wasting police time if they had not been so embarrassed.(he has never been married you would think they would have checked.)
If you are not open and honest people will always want to think the worst so don't give them the raw matériels they need to throw stones.
I would always contact the police but as a possible victim and ask for extra cover as you are concerned for the safety of you self and property.that way even though they are very unlightly to allocate extra funds to you they will have a sub-file listing you as an asset in need of cover and not as a potential target.It would help if at the same time you ask if you could have a list of stolen items to look out for as this reinforces the fact that you are a potential asset and not a threat.
P.S.
Sorry I forgot that your enviroment in the U.S. is slightly different to us in the U.K..
Hardly any one has a gun over here so no one can really force you to open a safe.You just say "sod off " and the chap in a stripy shirt say's"Fair enough governor " and promptly sod's off.I have yet to see a "Meth Head" in Devon but I am sure they will be here soon.
Also I have to add that I was fine messing with chemicals to my heart's content until that "Breaking Bad " came on the telly now every one who has a lab is suspected of being an other Walter White.yet again mass hysteria du to good fiction.
if you let the police know you where planing a prophylactivc deception and lived in one of the more dangerous part's of the world.It might be a good cover for your gold business to pretend you are a bottom end meth lab,at least then 99.9% of people would avoid a confrontation and any real drug dealers that come would probubly pay above spot on there bling.

This is a good subject worthy of long discussion,
Myself I live in a residential neighborhood with the homes places on close small propertys, ea. being 50' X 100' next to a large lake so its tight here to say the least. Because of this open space limitation, I devised my own self contained acid fumes reactor IE: Its a 2 gallon glass jar with a plastic lid into which I drilled a hole to fit a rubber grommet. I place the glass container in a 5gal bucket with approx 6" of hot water then place a few ounces of refining material in the glass jar. Next comes the nitric & water mix added yia a funnel to protect from any splashing. Immediatly I replace the cap along with a 1" clear plastic tube that runs to another 5 gallon bucket that I have placed a 1 gallon jug inside, 3/4 filled with water & Urea mixes to neutralize the outgassing. Both 5 gallon buckets then have the lids replaced on them with cutouts for the plastic tubes. Its self contained & IF anyone looks at it they have no clue what is going on as no fumes are escaping in excess. I allow this to go on for a 24 hr. period as I don't add additional hot water etc..to speed it up.
My final processed Gold is acid tested for purity then locked in my safe in a glass vial which nobody has knowlege of that knows me, except my wife.
I only do one batch at a time & neutralize all acids I cannot re-use & dispose of them before proceeding with the next batch. A must do to stay ahead of it.
Really, the only pita is all the rinsing one must do, that still also has to be done outside because of residual fumes. Eventually tho the final drying is done inside on a hotplate in my garage. All melting to metalic form is done with a jewelers oxy/Acl torch outside also because of any fumes.
This setup has worked wonderfully & only cost me about $20 USD to make. I agree, tell no one but do strickly adhere to safety far as breathing & any contact with acids & fumes.
I also built a 6' wooden fence around my entire backyard yrs. ago for privacy, which now obviously is a Godsend considering im now refining, I wouldn't want some small innocent child or a pet wandering into the yard while im away etc.......Common safety sense is a must. Try to consider any possible negative scenerio conceivable such as a wind shift, pets, children, open windows at the neighbors homes, incoming storms, etc...THEN proceed cautiously. My opinion after 2 yrs. of this is this: IF your in a neighborhood & not out in the sticks, then manufacture or buy a self contained setup like im using if you do not want trouble down the rd. or any mishaps that could cause a health issue to anything besides yourself.
Gold is an investment don't brag or show off your wealth to anyone. Only when its sold do you have to report it for taxes etc...
Dave

How many legally licensed commercial businesses do you know of that inform the public or police exactly what they do on their property :?:
They stay silent for a reason, So do I 8)
Rumor and innuendo do more damage than truth can ever fix, so I don't even waste my time trying to explain what I want to do, I just do it in the most legal and safe way possible.
I have had the police on my property more than once and they had no issues on what I was doing as it is self evident I was not making drugs.
The biggest thing to remember is to NOT act guilty of something when they visit. Just mater of factly tell them what you are doing and leave it at that. Offer to explain the process when they look at you with that "over their head" look, but don't in any way let them think you might be doing something wrong act like you have the right to do what you are doing.

PS. Do keep your processing area looking somewhat professional and NOT like a drug lab. :roll:

wow, i mean WOW.

i am very happy to live in canada,
i ( in my own personal opinion) do not agree with those posting outside there home country about some of the american paranoia.
american paranoia is for american's that are paranoid ! if you spend to much time learning about american paranoia you yourself will ""become paranoid"" !!
hiding behind locked doors & such............. (get off the youtube conspiracies videos)

i lived in my old house for 25 years & never locked my door, even when i was out for short times, i grew up in a subsidised housing project (in the USA they call that a ghetto) with crack heads and people that carried guns & sold drugs right in front of my house. living in canada is great if you have respect for others & don't shun them for what they are. i grew up with people that robbed & murdered, i have never been robbed or murdered.

i did have a gun pushed to my head once when i was 17, and that was by the police........ (but... that's another story, and in retrospect, its kind of funny) want to know about it? just ask LOL

here is a 100% true "canadian" story

i am in my back yard last summer (2013), in a 500ml beaker i have some MLCC's soaking in HCL with a wet rag & watch glass covering it, my 17 year old son is watching what i was doing & asking questions, next day he is at school in his science class & mentioned to the teacher about what i was doing.

the answer he got from his teacher was that everyone in the area was being poisoned to death.

next thing i know the police are at my door, i answer & ask what it is they wanted, the police officer tells me how he was contacted by the fire marshal & he is here to investigate.

so i tell the police officer to walk around the back to my yard.
(in canada a open door is a invitation to enter & inviting them inside gives them the right to search)

so we are in the back yard, the officer is looking around for my laboratory setup, & asks how this acid was being used & where it was being stored,

i unlock & open my small shed (very small shed)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...l-Storage-Shed-BMS4700/204508963?N=5yc1vZbu8z
and show the officer the jug of HCL & the beaker that i was using (still had acid & MLCC's in it) and the bag of MLCC's. i took the beaker out & placed it on my glass table (there was no smell) having it covered well i took off the watch glass & removed the wet rag & put the watch glass back on so the officer had a clear view of the contents & pointed out there was a very very slow reaction. (bubbles but no moving bubbles)

he tells me that he has been told that that acid is very dangerous & releases chlorine gas.

i say "yes i know" you can buy it at walmart in the pool supplies section if you go there right now you will see it is stored on the same shelf right next to childrens toys & games for 8 and 10 year old's, and as for the chlorine gas, this will release less then you will breath in at your local public indoor pool & offered for him & the fire marshal to return with testing equipment.

the officer asked some simple questions, took some notes & was on his merry way. i have never seen or heard from them since.

walmart no longer sells HCL ........ go figure.

good thing is..... i do not & have never bought HCL from walmart. i buy it from the pool supplies shop right across the street

to bad that the (investigator) was smart enough to go to walmart and ask for the HCL to be removed but wasn't smart enough to see a 10"H X 20"L sign for pool supplies across the street from my yard.

or he spoke to his supervisor & that supervisor told him to go to the walmart (or went themselves) (who knows)

just remember, police officers are most likely the kids that were beat up in the school yard, grew up and found that that they would have great authority working as a (or for the) constabulary.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/constabulary

It's not paranoia and conspiracy when you live it! Everybody should be paranoid of their government. Government is a necessary evil, to an extent. What do you mean posting outside their home country? That don't even make sense being as how this is the internet.

Hi !
It'a probably a decade ago that I had a conversation with a woman who was working as a lawyer in the prosecutors office ( Lake county Illinois )
the discution was that new genetic testing had found that a large percentage of the Ill. deathrow inmates had their convictions thrown out because they had not commited the crime. Several of the tests showed that the killer was someone else who was in prison for other crimes. There were so many that the govenor put a stop to the death penalty for a while, or something similar. Not exactly sure. The government fought tooth and nail to not lose those convictions. They had no concearn that they surely had killed inocent men in the past.
I asked her a hypothetical question! I was not surprized by her answer! I was by her honesty!
If you were handed a capital murder case to try. you come into the courtroom and I'm sitting in the defendents seat. problem? You recognize me as the man who was eating at a restaurant where you were also eating at the time that evidence says I commited the murder. Would you Move to dismiss the charges and tell the court that I could not have commited the crime?
She said no! My job is to try to the best of my abilitys to get a conviction in every case that I try using only the evidence that law enforcement supplies me with and to surpress anything that would interfere with that goal. What if I recognized you as my alibi? She said that she would do everything posible to keep from being removed from the case or being forced to testify, but if she was forced to testify she would not lie under oath. Knowing that she would be helping the state destroy my in order to build her resume, diden't seam to make any difference to her at all! These people are an animal no different than a tiger that looks at you and your three little children and only sees an easy meal and if given the chance would tear then apart and eat them.
They don't protect and serve! They are not there to help you ! They are there to find a way to get you into their system and make you a criminal .
I read this post and find it hard to believe that you had even entertained the thought of going and telling the police, "hey! come see what I'm doing here" Per-haps I'm overly paranoid, or have just lived in racine too long? mice live under the radar! never heard of one getting sucked into a jet engine!
artart47

Back