Silver acid test color chart?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a couple of members have already pointed out, your post is not well received. You should review the forum rules at https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

canedane's post is over two years old. If the moderating team had a problem with it, rest assured we have already dealt with it. We don't need new members trying to do our job for us.

Your post also violates forum rules by making a very personal insinuation that canedane is on some type of psychotropic medication. If you make any further similar posts, your stay here will be short.

Dave

This is a world wide forum and almost every country is represented within it's membership. The forum itself was founded in Canada, so be thankful it was not started in French. Your membership is only a few hours old and you have already insulted a long time member for something very personal. This is looked upon as very disruptive on the forum. The forum is a very valuable place of information that you will not find anywhere else on the planet for free. If you came here to learn, you should be busy with that in mind instead of policing how someone from another country types in English. The admin does not take personal attacks on other members lightly. I have no doubt that you will receive a stern warning about what you posted. Do not take it lightly because it's the fastest way to find the exit from the forum.
not a member and now won't be . due to the way you long term guys treat people

Your loss mate!
We do not bolster/cushion hurt feelings in here.
We consider it far more important to keep new members from injuring themselves or others.
Chemicals are important to write correctly one might give you success and another with one letter wrong might result in disaster, injuries or death.
That is why we push people to learn by themselves because then you will most likely understand why something go wrong, because it does to all of us from time to time!

Edit: Premature post so added a paragraph.

Last edited:
Join a forum, choose the name Not Sure, spend a brief amount of time reading threads (how many can you really absorb in 15 minutes?) and then post this.
Hate to break it to you but you cannot post if you are not a member, and if your attention span is so short, it's better for you to stay away from chemicals.

So my test vial of schwerter’s solution is a couple of years old and now everything, including labeled sterling flatware, shows a grey/black stain. Can I refresh the vial with potassium dichromate or do I need to mix up an entire fresh batch?

So my test vial of schwerter’s solution is a couple of years old and now everything, including labeled sterling flatware, shows a grey/black stain. Can I refresh the vial with potassium dichromate or do I need to mix up an entire fresh batch?
I would make fresh if you have the ingredients. I buy mine pre mixed, don't know if adding more potassium dichromate would help, let us know if you try it. The nitric in the solution can still be used to dissolve base metals, on tiny samples with suspected gold plating.

Janie

Silver test solution has a shelf life and will oxidize over time. Once the solution turns brown in the container, it is time for new test solution.

Back