Silver Cell Question ( what to do if you have to travel)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModernAlchemy

Supporting Member
Hi Gentlemen,
I have a job where I travel and could have to travel at any time for a day or two. I know that it's good to run the silver cell for around 7-10 days. Is it ok to leave the setup, turn off the DC voltage, and have the setup sit for a few days then run it again on my return? Will any issues with silver crystals have formed if no electricity is present or does it just sit in limbo? Also, I would believe if it was ok to sit, the anode basket should be taken out until you resume the process. Please advise Thank you.. This forum is the BEST, with the most intelligent people.. I appreciate each and every one of you.

If your electrolyte contains free nitric acid it would continue to consume silver slowly. If you leave anode or cathode (including your refined silver) in the electrolyte without power they will be consumed until the free nitric acid is used.

If your electrolyte contains free nitric acid it would continue to consume silver slowly. If you leave anode or cathode (including your refined silver) in the electrolyte without power they will be consumed until the free nitric acid is used.
Thank you Thomas,
So basically it would be better to have a span of days then to stop start, because it would just be eating away at the newly formed silver crystals as it sat in the electrolyte if I’m understanding correctly.

Just a note
There is no reaction between silver and a silver nitrate solution by itself. If you were to make your electrolye from lab grade silver nitrate and distilled water with no nitric acid, this may be an avenue for you.

Just a note
There is no reaction between silver and a silver nitrate solution by itself. If you were to make your electrolye from lab grade silver nitrate and distilled water with no nitric acid, this may be an avenue for you.
I have about 2000ml of silver nitrate from a previous run that I will be using for this second run, I had to stop the first run because I didn’t have enough shot for my anode basket. I have the AgNo3 stored nicely in two 1200ml bottles ready to go. Thank you Thomas!

I have about 2000ml of silver nitrate from a previous run that I will be using for this second run, I had to stop the first run because I didn’t have enough shot for my anode basket. I have the AgNo3 stored nicely in two 1200ml bottles ready to go. Thank you Thomas!
You are very welcome and I wish you success, silver cells are great fun and can be very productive.
Thank you, it’s been a great journey so far, and a new passion. Happy Holidays!

Back