Silver cell question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivel_976

I ran a copper cell big stainless steel bowl with a clear plexiglass cover and a small rubber made container as and anode basket much like sreetips on YouTube. I'd like to set up a silver cell the same way but instead of using a plastic basket want to know if I can use a small stainless bowl with holes drilled in it and the filter around the out side of it and use the bowl it's self as the anode and just dump silver shot in it

You don't have to make an anode bar. You can put silver shot into a plastic bowl with holes in it just like you intended to do with the stainless steel bowl.

Dave

I just use a piece of sterling, a fork, knife or spoon, to make the connection to the shot when I am doing a smaller batch. I will pour a rough shaped rod by pouring some silver into a long piece of sooted angle iron. It is nice to have all the extras like molds and such, but with some thought a fair make do version can often be within easy reach.

Could someone post a picture of the smallest silver cell one could make. I don't have tons of silver so I'm trying to do this on a small scale but I want really pure bars

Here is one of mine. I use it with about 7 ounces of electrolyte. At one or two ounces of shot at a time I have ran almost a pound through it so far. I do very little silver so thought this would be better than my larger cell which uses 1.5 liters of electrolyte.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=27615&p=291433#p291433

fivel_976 said:
Vary nice little cell I take it you grow vary small crystals in it

I set that up to try and learn about making dense crystals. As close as everything is the long stringy type crystals will short it out pretty fast. It ended up allowing me to do small one and two ounce bits of silver at a time pretty easy and I keep it on hand and ready to use. It was just right for me to experiment and learn from.

Sounds just right for starting out. Part of me would like to run a big cell if you ever watch sreetips on YouTube he grew a beautiful 7 gram Crystal and sold it on eBay for 100+ dollars that's a good profit

I'm curious as of what do you guys do with your silver crystals are they .99999 fine if I cast the crystals into a bar will it retain that purity?

Why is your electrolyte so cloudy? It should be crystal clear, and somewhat blue from copper. The cloudiness will probably eventually settle out onto your silver crystals, contaminating them. :(

Dave

In this thread ( http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27994#p295202 ) your last post says:

i distill my acid my putting 250 grams of potassium nitrate (stump remover) in a 1l round bottom flask then add 250 grams hcl (rooto drain cleaner) no water added heat till around 110 to 120 c through a 400mm liebig condenser into a 500ml chilled round botton flask i end up with a white fuming acid. simpley add it to sterling silver in distilled water till desolved

If that is the solution you used to make your electrolyte from, I really don't think it will work. If you used your previous method of using Sulfuric acid and a nitrate salt only, that cloudy look may well be a sulfate and might even be silver sulfate. Still, I am curious to see how things work out from that cell and solution since my chemistry still needs lots of work on it.

That is the method I used to make the electrolyte I used 4 1 oz coins as I was dessolving them every time I added my acid it got cloudy then cleared as it boiled then became cloudy again also there was some fine silver powder that came of with the coins

Back