Silver Cell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my silver cells I use Rooto straight from the bottle, no glycerine. I buy it by the case from Ace hardware. They're glad to order it for us as its a guaranteed sale and they're ordering other items from the same company by the pallet anyway.

I don't add water when deplating silver because I like to slow down the action in the cell so as to not create too many hydrogen bubbles. I deplate up to 40 silver plated - nickel silver - base metal items at a time, and perhaps 6 to 8 silver plated stainless knives depending on how many amps I'm drawing per cell. With fresh acid it takes about an hr, when almost saturated around 2 hrs. I reload these cells usually 3 times a day, taking 3 days to saturate fresh acid before I start drawing too many amps. I run 2- 25 amp rectifiers, one for each cell and don't like to draw more than 15 or 16 amps.

When I empty my cells I use a plastic cup or ladle to remove most of the acid and then pour the last little bit into my container. I then use a rubber cake batter spatula to wipe the heavier sludge gently into the container. So as to not splash even small drops onto any part of me. I keep a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda nearby with a cup of water near it. If it does splash on me, I wipe the drop off with a paper towel, then wet my finger and stick it into the baking soda. Then apply the paste to the spot where the acid was to neutralize it, then rinse repeatedly with fresh water. A sulphuric acid burn left untreated will burn and blister much like a burn from a torch flame.

I let the entire contents of my cells settle for at least 5 days as the silver sulfate is very light compared to silver nitrate from a nitric solution. After it's settled all it will, I scoop off the clear dark green sulphuric for further use in my cell. It's still good; I consider it preloaded with buffers.

The remainder is silver sulphate and silver metal from where silver sulphate contacts the copper cathode and is reduced to metal. The sulphuric will only hold so much silver then it starts to self precipitate. You may also have nickel and copper, chromium and iron from the stainless steel items. Perhaps lead and tin from any silver plated pot metal you deplate. Silver plated zinc items deplate fast and are completely dissolved in the time it takes to deplate silver plated nickel silver or stainless items.

I carefully pour the saturated sulphuric sludge into at least 3 times its volume of water. I use the rinse water I used to rinse the items I deplated etc., I precipitate at this time without allowing anything to settle. I precipitate the silver sulphate in solution with a good amount of table salt dissolved in warm to hot tap water. You just add a good amount and you will see a thin light whitish cloud while precipitating. Much lighter with no curds like when precipitating silver nitrate from a nitric solution. It does not agglomerate, forming larger grains like silver nitrate either. Use a definite excess of table salt to keep the silver sulphate from going back into solution while settling overnight. I let this settle a full day then siphon the dark green clear part into a different container.

I pour the clear solution from this container into a 5 gallon bucket which has around 10 lbs of copper scrap or even the nickel silver scrap you just deplated to cement out any remaining silver from solution. Copper and nickel are slowly dissolved by dilute sulphuric acid allowing it to be used for this purpose. I cement out very little silver in this bucket as amost all of it was precipitated by the sodium chloride (table salt).

I pour the contents of this bucket into another 5 gallon bucket containing copper again with virtually no silver cemented out.

I then pour into a 5 gallon bucket containing mild steel where the dilute sulphuric starts to bubble readily and cements out copper with virtually no silver here either.

Yes, I use a fourth bucket with mild steel and get very little copper cemented out. My cementation buckets follow the same 3 day cycle as my cells.

Getting back to the silver sulphate/silver metal/base metal sludge container. I build this up until I have at least 10 lbs because processing 20 lbs is only a little more work than 10 lbs, and 10 lbs only a little more work than 1 lb, but 20- 1 lb batches is 20 times the work of a 1- 20lb batch.

My nitric now costs $49 a gallon and I use as much as necessary to make my wash water run clear. If you leave items in your cell longer than necessary you'll dissolve much more base metal and it's expensive to remove.

Everytime you add nitric to remove base metals from the silver sulphate it doesn't selectively dissolve the base metals like when used on gold. You'll have to reprecipitate some silver in the form of silver nitrate with each wash using table salt . The last few washes I use hydrochloric acid instead of table salt in hopes of removing any remaining traces of lead etc. For my last acid wash I use sulphuric in hopes of removing any last little traces of tin, etc. Then I rinse several times with clean tap water.

I use the karo syrup/lye method to reduce my mixture of silver metal/ silver sulphate/ silver nitrate to silver metal. I like to add the karo first. Now you have to wash again with clean water 10 to 15 times.

Now melt your metal, it'll be close enough to fine if you worked carefully!

Be aware that when old silverplated knives, for instance, are stamped warranted 15 dwt that doesn't mean 15 dwt of silver per piece but 15 dwt of silver per dozen knives. Some very approx. returns from silverplate are:

old tablespoons and forks and large soup spoons 35 dwt per dozen

old dessert spoons and forks, solid fish eaters and fruit knives & forks 25 dwt per dozen

teaspoons 15 dwt per dozen

coffee spoons 10 dwt per dozen

1 dwt equals approx. 1 1/2 grams

I got these estimates from the book The Sampling and Assay of the Precious Metals by E.A. Smith. Based on my limited experience, I think they are pretty close on old silverplate; newer silverplate items may figure out differently, probably less. Large trays, pitchers, cups, saucers etc in my opinion are best deplated in one piece in a larger cell, as it's really hard to cut them up!

I have not found any appreciable amounts of gold, palladium or platinum in silver plated items even in scrap as far back as 1835, the miners, assayers and manufacturers knew their business!

Best Regards,

Wayne

goldsilverpro said:
....Most refiners don't want silver plated items. Basically, silver plated copper is considered as contaminated copper...

Maybe that’s the core of the problem (and the solution).

Cast the plated stuff into ingots, set up a copper parting cell and sell the pure copper. Collect the anode slime, and isolate the silver from it.
Copper plates nicely, so a very simple construction should be possible and workable.
(I have no idea whether it’s profitable or not)

… copper prices should be rising along with the other metals.

Unless the feed is quite pure, it doesn't work well. A great deal of the plated items you'd encounter are not copper, but copper alloy. It takes very little contamination of the copper sulfate electrolyte for the copper to begin plating out as sponge, which does not adhere to the cathodes, but falls to the bottom of the cell instead. You end up with nothing short of a mess.
(Voice of experience, by the way!) :oops:

Harold

Harold_V said:
(Voice of experience, by the way!) :oops:
Harold

Oh, bugger!

But great to be stopped before trying and failing.

(And this once again shows with horrible clarity, the difference between just writing, and actual hands-on experience with a given subject)

As I understand it, the issue seems to boil down to the economics of actually melting the Cu. Some one mentioned a propane forge. Thats still gas and you would have to watch the oxidation from it being "tuned". I dont know if he was using a naturaly aspirated or not on his rig. Propane still costs.

I have a charcoal retort I made, very easily, for making fuel for my charcoal forge. I burn at most 2lbs of fuel an hour and can take a 1/2 inch bar of high carbon steel to 1800-2000 F within minutes.

Powered by a small hairdryer fan, and the extra charcoal act as a reducing agent with proper air control to reduce scale formation on the steel. I get the brush/wood to make the charcoal free and make 20-50lbs at a time.

Could this make melting of the copper aspect feasible on an economic level?

I'm of the opinion it wouldn't make much difference. The copper as recovered from scrap steel is quite dirty unless you take measures to remove contaminants. You could process the recovered copper with sulfuric, which would remove most of the impurities, along with the oxides of copper. The oxides that got dissolved could be recovered with more scrap steel, so there'd be no loss of copper, but the problem comes from the need to flux the copper when it's melted. Kennecott fed the recovered copper to their huge reverberatory furnaces, where the contaminants were largely collected in the slag. Their copper came out of the furnaces ready to be parted, with the majority of contaminants being values of other metals. A guy, at home, wouldn't have that option. Their furnaces are shut down only to be relined----so they are in operation constantly. I've stood in one of the furnaces----it's like being in a huge building. Walls are something like 3' thick.

My experience, having melted and fluxed the recovered copper well, is that the contaminants were not eliminated totally in melting, but reported in the copper. Some did go with the flux, but not enough to satisfy me. From that, I judged that the furnace process must be a prolonged one---giving the contaminants time to oxidize fully and be consumed by the slag. I don't know that I'm right-----but I do know that you will likely spend more money than the worth of the copper by trying to melt it. A cupola may change that----although the copper would still be of poor quality, but good enough to market, considering you'd have a solid mass instead of sponge.

Might be worth a try with your forge, but remember that copper melts just under 2.000°F, so you'd have to be able to heat beyond that temp in order to pour-----and you'll still need flux because your copper must be in a vessel of sorts (can't be metallic, for obvious reasons). The cupola becomes the vessel, unlike a forge.

Let us know!

Harold

Today perhaps, ill rebuild and use a cupola design after i try a run in a crucible. I have clay/sand/wood ash walls that bake themselves into a rock hard refractory so redesign and build to me is basically going to the creek, rebuild and fire it.

I use borax for a standard flux and has served well in the past for forge welds and some silver/copper alloy i made for a friends knife guard. I use it straight, non anhydrous.

I found also 2 companies that offer to buy copper sponge.

We purchase Copper Ore and Copper Materiel - 09 Apr 2008

We purchase Copper Ore and Copper Materiel

Copper scrap, copper mud, copper dust, copper sponge (The copper content should be 4% min).

Copper slag, copper and cadmium slags (The copper content should be between 3% to 20%).

We purchase copper ore, copper concentrate, copper materiel (The copper content should be more than 5%). Molybdenum Materiel (The molybdenum content should be more than 2%).
Web address: http://www.antimony-cn.com
Address: No.90 South Jingxing Street, SY, China
Phone: 86-24-25442052
Fax: 86-24-25442011

That one is on bikudo.com and i think this one buys as well.

http://www.exporters.sg/view_rfq_txn.asp?rfq_id=47089

Hope it helps in determing a profitable way for plate.

Yay! I tried the silver cell! Though it wasn't a great difference compared to a gold cell, i got nice copper wire. But it was SO long and SO stinky, that i will think twice before running this type of cell again. Or maybe something was wrong? I used dilluted sulfuric as it was shown on the first picture. I didn't use regular water, it was distilled. But thanks alot for this tutorial. I will try strong sulfuric like in the gold cell after holidays and post results. :)

SapunovDmitry said:
Yay! I tried the silver cell! Though it wasn't a great difference compared to a gold cell, i got nice copper wire. But it was SO long and SO stinky, that i will think twice before running this type of cell again. Or maybe something was wrong? I used dilluted sulfuric as it was shown on the first picture. I didn't use regular water, it was distilled. But thanks alot for this tutorial. I will try strong sulfuric like in the gold cell after holidays and post results. :)

Your post is somewhat confusing. If you tried a silver cell, the electrolyte should have been silver nitrate, with no sulfuric acid included.

Were you making reference to a copper cell instead?

Harold

Well.Actually the stuff mentioned above was sulfuric cell.
I tried it exactly as it was mentioned in the post with three pictures. I tried sulfuric cell for gold before and i liked it (But it was concentrated there).
No.It wasn't nitric.Nitric would be stinky from the begining. :cry:
This one didn't smell good only during the process. When i get to my camera tomorrow, i will make a shot of a deplated wire.

Btw. I found some old russian books about deplating and refining.In the copper ore refining section they mention that 1t. of copper could carry up to 10 kg of silver and 300 gramms of gold (They say that they have to be separated(well, they are right :D )). That's why they says that ore is melted, divided into plates and placed in the elecrolysis system, that uses 0,2V(kind of a "magical" number) and currents up to 250 A per m2 :shock: and fairly dilluted sulfuric as the electroylte. Silver/Gold precipitates, cleaned and treated as Dore metal.
Now,the main thing.
It says that you must have about 30-50 kg of Cu per m3 of solution and 150-200 kg of sulfuric per m3. Certainly it can be scaled, though.

I assume you're speaking of the 3 photos on this thread from Jul 5, 2007. He was using concentrated sulfuric in the 1st 2 photos. He diluted only very slightly (maybe 5% water, by volume) in order to speed it up - as he described. If you diluted too much, the silver won't strip at all. I would guess the limit is about 65/35, conc. H2SO4/water, by volume. Ideal would be 95/5, conc. H2SO4/water.

Sorry. I misunderstood your post. I expected you were talking about a parting cell, not a stripping cell. I gather the copper you mentioned is the wire after stripping. That makes sense.

Harold

Yeah.You are right.It didn't strip until the solution was i would say 15/75. But then the current began to grow very fast. I did nothing, but it grew from 2 amps to 8-9 amps.And the solution became blue colored. That was my bad, somewhy i just forgot about concentration.
Thanks,guys. :)

I will try again and post results.

Ok, i always keep my promises, so yesterday i've sent my girlfriend to the bakery and started chemistry.
I took about 80 gr. 35% sulfuric acid and poured it in the Pyrex breaker. Then i tried to find some lead, but i was rather limited in time while my GF was buying bread so i took SS stick (the cathode).
I took my charger set it on 12V. I had some silver plated RF contacts so i've thought that they could be well used for this purpose. I took one as an anode and started deplating. At first the current was about 1 A, but in 30-45 sec. it has rapidly risen to 5-6 A. (I think the copper layer was exposed to acid by that time). I ended with shiny copper contact as can be seen on the picture below and flakes of copper and silver in the acid (white and slightly green). I was so happy, that forgot about my GF returning from bakery. I was unable to get silver from solution because my GF started kicking my /// for experimenting at home. Anyway i have no idea how to get it from the acid without making the solution unusable again. I think the only way is to make it settle for some days, filter the white powder out and then let acid stay for a while like it says in Ammen book with copper and SS electrodes. What do i do with the silver/copper salt then? What flux should i use to regenerate it to copper/silver alloy?

Attachments

• Фото0374.jpg
    Фото0374.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Фото0376.jpg
    Фото0376.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 500
  • Фото0377.jpg
    Фото0377.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
  • Photo0378.jpg
    Photo0378.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 500
  • Photo0379.jpg
    Photo0379.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 500
I am still a noob and I have been reading a lot. My question is once you have the silver metal and silver sulphate would it be possible / advisable to dry the silver then digest with a 50 / 50 nitric and precipitate the silver with a copper bus bar or heavy copper pipe cut and flattened into a sheet? Then melt the silver and pour an ingot / ingots for refining in a silver cell?
Mark

Back