silver cloride dissolve in water?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AurumShine

hello every one :p
first i dissolve scrape in nitric acid HNO3 then scrape is dissolve in nitric acid the color of solution is dark green then i add water in dark green solution and then i add sodium chloride and then i add hydrochloric acid on solution rapidly white powder is appear in solution when powder is settle in the bottom of the beaker then i siphon off the dark green solution the powder is remain on the bottom of the beaker then i want to wash this powder with distill water but when i pour distill water on white powder and i stir the water and white powder but whole powder is dissolve in water what is this it means that white powder is not silver chloride and silver is not present on scrape and what can i do for washing silver chloride this silver is lost please help me what can i do the next silver scrape batch.

It sounds like there is no silver in your solution, silver chloride isn't water soluble.
Try cementing your next test batch onto copper sheet, if you get no powder you have no silver.

Silver chloride is not water soluble, but freshly made AgCl that has not been stirred well and has not coagulated can become colloidal and will appear to dissolve in water. To avoid this, stir the solution well before siphoning, this will make the AgCl clump together. It helps if the solution is warm or hot. After siphoning, add a small amount of nitric to the rinse water, say enough to make the rinse water about 0.1% nitric.

Lead chloride?

Try add some sulfuric acid to a sample of the water with the dissolved powder. If it is lead it should precipitate lead sulphate.

Göran

thanks so much :p
i also used copper process but it is slow whole nitric acid is used less ph is remain of nitric acid i put copper rod in solution after two days i see very thin layer is coated on rod the layer color is creamy very small amount of powder is precipitated in bottom i also used second process first i filter dark green solution then i put this powder in baker and i put this baker in hot plate when whole powder white green is dried i add water half of powder is dissolve in water and i small amount of sulfuric acid is added and i put the back cover sheet of cd rom in solution silver shiny color and copper color layer is coated on cover sheet then i add water and stir the remain powder is not dissolve in solution and i boil the solution the layer is silver color is striped off and i shut off hot plate after one day i see whole cover and layer is dissolve in solution and solution color is black whole things is dissolve in solution.

Latest posts

Back