silver contacts and circuit breakers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hope not. I would personally be really upset if I found my contractor was pocketing money by using used breakers when new were spec'd.

In a contractor, the silver contacts can be inspected. In a breaker they are almost always sealed. Cost of a $100 breaker when compared to cost of downtime to source and repair is minimal.

I had an instance at a previous job where a contractor "saved" us money by ordering a part from his supplier. I pointed out that we were losing well over $2500 a day waiting, and the grainger part for an extra $100 would suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I am an electrical contractor. I work almost exclusively at a large hospital where we as well as the hospital employed electricians reuse good breakers as standard practice.

Most circuit breakers get cycled very few times in their lifetime. You would have to use one as a light switch for many years before the contacts became arc burned enough to effect it's function. I would imagine the moving parts would wear out before the contacts did.

As long as the cases aren't cracked and the screws aren't buggered up, I'd have no qualms about reusing them.

You are correct, breakers do seem to fail in the mechanism long before the electrical contacts expire.

Doesn't change my opinion that I'm going to take issue with anyone that is pocketing the difference between charging a customer for a new breaker and installing a used one.

But...after giving it some thought, I'd probably sell them in lots of ten for a quick buy it now price in a medium flat rate box.

Back