White precipitate when adding dilute Nitric to inquarted gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravik

Hello everyone,

First post here so please excuse me if this is not in the right forum. I just began my first real batch of karat scrap refining. I have previously done only very small samples to confirm I understand the process.
I started with 35.3g of what should be 6K after inquartation. I tested each item befor inquartation and did not see anything that would indicate that this was not karat gold. All pieces were also marked #K. Because of this I went ahead with the the first nitric acid boil. I added 50ml distilled water and 50ml 67.2% Nitric. Immediately after addition of the Nitric a white precipitate formed. Could I have missed some Tin somewhere along the line? The included pictures show immediately after addition and ~15 minutes later. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jed

Attachments

• 20240526_184153.jpg
    20240526_184153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240526_190839.jpg
    20240526_190839.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 0
Either your distilled water wasn’t distilled or the glassware had residue on it but that is unmistakably silver chloride.
Well thats a lot less concerning than tin. I am not sure I know what to do in this situation. If I am remembering correctly, Silver Chloride will not react with Aqua Regia. Should I simply continue the process and filter out the Silver Chloride after dissoving the gold?

Latest posts

Back