Silver/ gold mix

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonka

If I melt sliver chloride if there’s gold in it will it stay at the bottom of the crucible?

If you melt silver chloride, somewhere around 850°F it melts and does not reduce to metallic silver. It is in its molten state any gold that was in the chlorides will be mixed in the bar you pour of solid silver chloride.

If you get too hot the silver chloride will begin to decompose and release its chlorine. It is a toxic choking gas. Don’t try to melt silver chloride to bring it to metal without proper fluxing, and even then it smokes considerably.

Does this look right? I know you can’t see it in the picture but the solution is actually dark brown. It won’t settle either.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It not acting normal.
Has it ever acted normal? You are using the wrong chemistry!

Sodium hydroxide converts Silver Chloride to Silver Oxide. Then the reduces the Silver Oxide to Silver metal.

The reaction, with the proper chemistry is self indicating with the caustic turning the clean white chlorides black. When the well stirred chlorides caustic mix is uniformly black, you start adding sugar (I prefer corn syrup) and keep mixing. You will see the black Silver Oxide turn to Gray metal when you add enough to reduce the Silver Oxide to metal. Again seeing the gray emerge with no black streaks means you are done.

Has it ever acted normal? You are using the wrong chemistry!

Sodium hydroxide converts Silver Chloride to Silver Oxide. Then the reduces the Silver Oxide to Silver metal.

The reaction, with the proper chemistry is self indicating with the caustic turning the clean white chlorides black. When the well stirred chlorides caustic mix is uniformly black, you start adding sugar (I prefer corn syrup) and keep mixing. You will see the black Silver Oxide turn to Gray metal when you add enough to reduce the Silver Oxide to metal. Again seeing the gray emerge with no black streaks means you are done.
I meant lye. It was a autocorrect error

Latest posts

Back