Silver refining question regarding nickel

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff0172

Hey guys i have a question i hope someone can help with my last batch of silver i refined useing nitric acid and i think there may be some nickel in it still after refineing with nitric my question is. Is there any way the nickel can be removed without haveing to start the batch over? Its in metal form approx a kilo in weighr i really dont want to have to waste a bunch more nitric if i dont have to any imput would be greatly appreciated

I cemented on on copper and im guessing its nickel chararistics it and its hard to melt and its not testing as pure as it should be

You could run a silver cell. As it should be fairly pure after cementing on copper it would not take a lot of nitric to set up a small silver cell and run a kilo of silver.

Since you started with old silver there might have been some PGM:s in the silver. It could follow the silver and create a harder alloy. There will also be a bit of copper in cemented silver, also adding to the hardness. Dissolve a small piece and check the color of your silver solution, blue is copper, pale yellow to amber points to palladium. Green a mix of both copper and PGM:s. Nickel... I don't know.

You could use that test to make some silver nitrate for a small silver cell.

Göran

Back