silver solder balls (found under north and south bridge)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComputerHoarder

was just wondering if anyone knows exactly how much silver there is these, i have about 2 oz of them (my hands hurt to say the least haha)

wow, that means you will need 8.3 troy pounds to reclaim 1 troy ounce of silver? and the rest of the 8+ pounds is lead?

if this is accurate, i can sell it as is to the local fish market for fish weights and save the processing time.

Geo said:
wow, that means you will need 8.3 troy pounds to reclaim 1 troy ounce of silver? and the rest of the 8+ pounds is lead?

if this is accurate, i can sell it as is to the local fish market for fish weights and save the processing time.

well not lead IF is it like you say accurate, it will be tin. but 3% seems a little low to me, maybe its just wishful thinking

this come from a document on the internet: http://www.sanmina-sci.com/pdf/partners/qar-0009-c.pdf

..........................BGA component suppliers have introduced low silver containing lead-free solders, such as Sn/1.0Ag/0.5cu,commonly called SAC105 replacing the widely accepted SAC305Sn/3.0Ag/0.5Cu..................

edit this is a realy good exemple of the difference to what a home refiner can do and a big rafinerie

-----1000 kg bga solder---- home refiner: not worth it, big refiner: 30kg silver

ok, lead-free solder balls are 4% silver and lead laden solder balls are 2% silver.
http://www.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/eng_bulletin/EB635.pdf
eric, you did a good job hunting that down. heres one that is a little easier to follow. both have slightly different information, but id rather go with the high number just to make me feel better. :lol:

lol! sounds about right geo, the higher % always makes people feel better, ill just keep saving, will need lots of solder balls, but hey might as well save em while im at it ;)

I had been keeping all the sludge from de-soldering stuff with HCL. The solder we use at work is Sn/3.5Ag/0.5Cu for example, I got to thinking though how much tin will go into a gallon of HCL.. I am going to have a lot of tin to deal with, but in the long run might work out just be a bonus..Of course I may just be wasting time and chemicals too, sometimes it is hard to tell ..

When working with SMD paste I usually use a very good prodfuct that contains 2% Ag.
The refinery I work with will only pay out for Ag not Sn (tin).
So all I do is collect the tin from the boards and one day sell the complete stuff, without any further treatment.
I found there is very few silver in IT electronics that concentrated enough to process it in an economical way.
Even the keyboad silver yield is disappointing.
So why waste time, chemicals and energy on it?
Better collect it an sell it one day.
In the meantime you can process some Au or Pd stuff....
just my 2 pence

Marcel said:
When working with SMD paste I usually use a very good prodfuct that contains 2% Ag.
The refinery I work with will only pay out for Ag not Sn (tin).
So all I do is collect the tin from the boards and one day sell the complete stuff, without any further treatment.
I found there is very few silver in IT electronics that concentrated enough to process it in an economical way.
Even the keyboad silver yield is disappointing.
So why waste time, chemicals and energy on it?
Better collect it an sell it one day.
In the meantime you can process some Au or Pd stuff....
just my 2 pence

This is exactly what needs to be done. That is by the way why German economy is doing so well. We tend to lose dollars by chasing after cents. 8)

This company is subjecting their material to "solder joint defect",and "the reliability of the solder joint",just to save $9.13 per pound of solder?That sounds about right.

Latest posts

Back