Silver Soldier

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rward1

I'm trying to make the Stannous Chloride and found lead free silver soldier.
Upon getting home the label on the back says it contains Bismuth, Copper, Silver and Tin.
Are there to many elements for making the magic test solution?

That's what I thought.
Any ideas where I can get some pure tin?
I only need an ounce or so. That should last me a LONG time.

Pewter (cups) can have high tin content, , and then 95%tin/5%antimony solder. do not give up looking for your chemicals and supply's, at the beginning it is hard to locate them, but reading labels and checking around you can find most everything you need.

Edit: some hardware store's sell pure zink (not tin) strip in rolls for moss control on roofs, some D size batterys also have zink case, carbon rod, MnO2 paste, NH4Cl and ZnCl2 paste.

butcher said:
Pewter (cups) can have high tin content, some hardware store's sell pure tin strip in rolls for moss control on roofs,
Those I've seen are all zinc. We have a moss problem here where we live.

Harold

At this point I have ordered a few grams of 100% pure tin in order to maintain a good quality control.
My next quest is to get some pure HCL to go with the tin.
I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Also made a trip to the second hand stores and found a hot plate for $6.00

I've been using tin sinkers I buy at Walmart. I forget the price but I get a little bag of split shot and they last quite a while. They're trying to get away from adding lead to the water so tin sinkers seem to be one answer and it works for us.

Steve

Latest posts

Back