Siphoning boiling nitric using a pump.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The classic 4 liter vacuum flask which was available worldwide always used a #12 stopper. There are new (Chinese I believe) flasks available that are 5 liters. They take a #13 stopper.

5 L flask
Are there stoppers(lids) for beakers as well..?
Are they sold using a different name....?

The flasks have a round opening on the top and they are standard sizes for different size erlenmeyer vacuum flasks the 4 liter I had used for years was always a #12 stopper. The 5 liter flask has a slightly larger hole and requires a #13 stopper.

A watchglass is to cover the beaker he is dissolving in, I thought he was talking about the flask to use suction to remove the liquids from the parting flask.

A watchglass does not seal the beaker, it simply covers it allowing condensate to drip back into the beaker. A stopper seals the flask tightly.

watchglass

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.14.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Yeah...while I'd love a "sealing lid" that has a taper in it so that I could direct the fumes to a condensing column then scrubber, I've never found something that works, nor has it made it high enough on my project list to necessitate construction.

A watch glass sitting on a beaker directs the fume out the pour spout. I have had success with flexible drops that connect to a scrubber duct and simply rest on the edge of the pour spout and pick up the fume. I've done this with beakers up to 10 liter in size. AE2B3F94-C1A4-41D9-A4C6-E466B229661F.JPG
For a while, my PVC fabricator made covers for beakers like these. They worked fine but in the end, a watch glass is as effective.
9193B4FF-BBFD-4D2E-B2A1-2174E5E3DC69.jpeg

Are there stoppers(lids) for beakers as well..?
Are they sold using a different name....?
Issuing the siphoning, I think that it can somehow speed up the process, but I always found decanting equally effective.

If you need to siphon, use filtering flask as catching vessel, and connect the suction hose to the top opening via stopper with hole, and vacuum source to the side arm.

As source of the vacuum, aspirator pump is superior over anything else since gasses are passed through water = majority of NOx gasses will be scrubbed. You can either attach to the faucet, or you will need recirculating membrane pump for pressure water, which is cycled in some bigger barrel.

As source of the vacuum, aspirator pump is superior over anything else since gasses are passed through water = majority of NOx gasses will be scrubbed. You can either attach to the faucet, or you will need recirculating membrane pump for pressure water, which is cycled in some bigger barrel.
If recirculating water, the pump needs to be resistant to at least mildly corrosive conditions as the recirculated water tends move to the acidic side.

Shops I set up usually put in a large system which handles both this simple suction flask as well as suction for multiple lots of filtration.
EFCD47F8-6154-40A5-9EB7-3505254FB89E.JPG

If recirculating water, the pump needs to be resistant to at least mildly corrosive conditions as the recirculated water tends move to the acidic side.

Shops I set up usually put in a large system which handles both this simple suction flask as well as suction for multiple lots of filtration.
View attachment 62956
I add small amount of soda ash to counteract the acidity if needed. We had and "pseudo-automated" system, where I threw some phenolphtalein into the water :D When it lost colour, you knew pH dropped below 8 and you need to refill some base. I found out that ordinary rubber is relatively OK with mild base.

That is useful if you only vacuum acidic fumes. And for a small scale usage effective. But larger systems also are used to filter solutions dropped with metabisulfite or sulfur dioxide and those gasses then to build up and really get quite stinky. That is why the larger systems are always vented into an exhaust.

Issuing the siphoning, I think that it can somehow speed up the process, but I always found decanting equally effective.

If you need to siphon, use filtering flask as catching vessel, and connect the suction hose to the top opening via stopper with hole, and vacuum source to the side arm.

Thanks, I'll make sure to consider an aspirator pump.

A watch glass sitting on a beaker directs the fume out the pour spout. I have had success with flexible drops that connect to a scrubber duct and simply rest on the edge of the pour spout and pick up the fume. I've done this with beakers up to 10 liter in size. View attachment 62952
For a while, my PVC fabricator made covers for beakers like these. They worked fine but in the end, a watch glass is as effective.
View attachment 62953
@4metals I have been able to find some beakers without a spout, to which I believe I can put on some lid.
I was wondering what is the material used to build the lid(is it PVC?) and what could be the expected life of the lids and any extra precautions that need to be taken when using one.

I was wondering what is the material used to build the lid(is it PVC?) and what could be the expected life of the lids and any extra precautions that need to be taken when using one.
Those lids were made of thick PVC. The fit was snug where the PVC contacted the glass circumference to the point that some had to be sanded to fit more beakers. Apparently the beakers vary slightly in the ID. They lasted for a good many digestions before I switched to just watch glasses.

Those lids were made of thick PVC. The fit was snug where the PVC contacted the glass circumference to the point that some had to be sanded to fit more beakers. Apparently the beakers vary slightly in the ID. They lasted for a good many digestions before I switched to just watch glasses.
Thanks... :)

Back