slot pins---gold tips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i liberated 2pounds of pins with gold tips(gold in the end of the pins)----- from computers slots

i would like to know if some member recuperated gold from such pins, and some average yeald of gold per pound obtained?
thanks for any reply
Arthur Kierski

i am asking this because i am going to take the gold out of these pins and would like to have some parameters

in my experience, they yield is around 0.1g per pound. you need about 10 pounds to have a gram of gold.

The white PCI sockets pull off easily, then just cut the tips off. No sense in wasting acid. Then your yield will be higher too. I can put some pic's up of what I use and how I do them if you want.

@smack
what is your estimated yield, when you cut off the tips?

edit: Just discovered, this is a stupid question, since cutting of about 1/5 of length would mean 0,1g x 5 = 0,5 gramm

Glondor---i do not have a camera----but they are normal pins found in computers slots,they are thin metalic pins with golden plated ends which i call tips(but they really are not tips, they are plated ends of the pins)
sorry,but this the only way that i can describe these pins
regards
Arthur

Well I decided to do a test lot of 25lbs. of mostly socket 478 Mother Boards to see exactly what and how much stuff I'm taking off and what the savings at the refiner would be. Bare with me as this was just thrown together today and I don't have a lot of time but this is the results. First pick is of the type of boards processed and the second is the after pic of how it goes to the refinery but I've been taking the N/S Bridge chips off lately. The rest show how I remove some items from the boards. Keep in mind you can only do this if you have the time, if your material flow is high you won't have the time. I spent between 3 and 5 minutes on each board.

There were 19 Mother Boards, Pre-process = 25lbs., post process = 15.8lbs., in what was removed were 2.75lbs. of plastic, 2 lbs. of electrolytic capacitors, 1.7 lbs. extruded aluminum/heat sinks, 1.21 lbs. of ferrous steel, .3 lbs. of SST., 74g. of #2 copper, 36g. of chips-mostly the SMsC chips, 10g. of fingers, 9g. of tantalum caps., 48g. of button batteries. About half of the remaining weight is the pins I took off, and the rest I would have to say just got away from me in flying debris.

Attachments

• DSC00614.JPG
    DSC00614.JPG
    428.6 KB
  • DSC00612.JPG
    DSC00612.JPG
    482.1 KB
  • DSC00610.JPG
    DSC00610.JPG
    526.3 KB
  • DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    504.5 KB
  • DSC00605.JPG
    DSC00605.JPG
    436.8 KB
The rest of the pic's.

Attachments

• DSC00620.JPG
    DSC00620.JPG
    475.3 KB
  • DSC00619.JPG
    DSC00619.JPG
    218.2 KB
  • DSC00616.JPG
    DSC00616.JPG
    403.9 KB
  • DSC00615.JPG
    DSC00615.JPG
    227.6 KB
Most of these memory sockets come off real easy too. AGP and PCI sockets for the most part come off easy, you won't find many that don't, but the black ISA ones you can forget about. Even if you did get them off, they just aren't worth your time. Also, just be mindful of the surface mount devices your knocking off in the process as they have value too.

Attachments

• DSC00625.JPG
    DSC00625.JPG
    478.9 KB
  • DSC00623.JPG
    DSC00623.JPG
    492.1 KB
Thank you Smack,

Very nice explanation, and pictures, it is nearly the same way i do them.
What do you do with the pins, the sulphuric cell or nitric acid? or....something else?

Pat

Smack said:
Nitric Acid Patt

If you are using nitric why bother with all that wasted time? As cheep as nitric is I also dont see you making any money on those pins.

Do you come out in the black in doing MB?

Eric

those slot pins are phosphor bronze. digest them in nitric acid and you will have to deal with the metastannic acid that will be formed.

etack said:
Smack said:
Nitric Acid Patt

If you are using nitric why bother with all that wasted time? As cheep as nitric is I also dont see you making any money on those pins.

Do you come out in the black in doing MB?

Eric

Eric, what do you mean by wasted time? How should I be getting what I want off the board? And what do you mean by "doing mother boards"? I don't consider picking off the stuff I want to process my self as doing MB. What I don't want to process my self gets taken to the refinery and I get paid based on the assay.

Latest posts

Back