SMB & AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hey guys,

I done some cheap pins in AP, dissolved all the base metal and got my foils. After filtering I tested the AP with stannous and got color on the swab. Done another test in my spot plate to just confirm the purple color and it is there. Now to my question, since there is no HNO3 can I use SMB to drop any gold left in the AP solution? Or is it just collateral gold. Never run into this with AP.

Thanks,
Ken

You have a couple of choices on what to do at this point. Most people just leave the Gold there and reuse the solution, as the AP becomes saturated with Copper from other materials, the Copper will push the Gold out of solution as a fine black powder. If you do not intent on reusing the AP, you can precipitate the Gold with SMB or use a Copper bus bar or similar piece of Copper. As the Copper dissolves and goes into the solution, it will push the Gold out.
When it is saturated with Copper, it will look very dark brown/black.
When the solution does become saturated with Copper, it is a good idea to let if settle for several days before decanting to get the Gold. Some of the Gold is pretty fine and takes a while to settle to the bottom of the container.

Claudie said:
You have a couple of choices on what to do at this point. Most people just leave the Gold there and reuse the solution, as the AP becomes saturated with Copper from other materials, the Copper will push the Gold out of solution as a fine black powder. If you do not intent on reusing the AP, you can precipitate the Gold with SMB or use a Copper bus bar or similar piece of Copper. As the Copper dissolves and goes into the solution, it will push the Gold out.
When it is saturated with Copper, it will look very dark brown/black.
When the solution does become saturated with Copper, it is a good idea to let if settle for several days before decanting to get the Gold. Some of the Gold is pretty fine and takes a while to settle to the bottom of the container.
Thanks Claudie,

After posting I realized the more copper it dissolved the gold would have to fall out. :roll: Trying to do to many things at once, got to take a break.

Ken

jeneje said:
Hey guys,

I done some cheap pins in AP, dissolved all the base metal and got my foils. After filtering I tested the AP with stannous and got color on the swab. Done another test in my spot plate to just confirm the purple color and it is there. Now to my question, since there is no HNO3 can I use SMB to drop any gold left in the AP solution? Or is it just collateral gold. Never run into this with AP.

Thanks,
Ken

Whats collateral gold? Is this like gold that must be lost in order to save the rest :mrgreen:

vegaswinner said:
jeneje said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Ken

Whats collateral gold? Is this like gold that must be lost in order to save the rest :mrgreen:
In my case YES :lol: Collateral gold is caught in suspension and want drop out, if I understand the term right. :mrgreen:

Ken

edited; I just setup a new AP tank for pins, added 2.9lbs of cheap pins, any guesses on the yield?

jeneje said:
vegaswinner said:
jeneje said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Ken

In my case YES :lol: Collateral gold is caught in suspension and want drop out, if I understand the term right. :mrgreen:

Ken

edited; I just setup a new AP tank for pins, added 2.9lbs of cheap pins, any guesses on the yield?

I was only joking around... You mean colloidal not collateral :)

vegaswinner said:
jeneje said:
vegaswinner said:
jeneje said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Ken

Ken

I was only joking around... You mean colloidal not collateral :)
Yeah, I know. But sometimes I wonder about what I'm doing. :p
Ken

when using smb on ap do i have to use urea or water it down?

This question shows a great lack of understanding some basics, take some more time to read.

You could use smb, but it is probably one of your last choices, because you probably foul the AP, can not use it anymore and your gold will be contaminated with copper and probably lead sulfate. Just use your AP on more gold plated stuff or dissolve copper in it. The your gold will cement out and you can keep the solution and rejuvenate it, when you have more fingers or pins to process....and more understanding. Good luck

Latest posts

Back