smb turning brown

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per the photo above, these have very, very little gold by overall weight. In the package are only two bonding wires. Only a percentage of those will be gold bond wires and others will be copper or aluminium. I normally mix them in with random IC chips just to dispose of them. By themselves, they are not worth the time, fuel or chemicals to refine.

Per the photo above, these have very, very little gold by overall weight. In the package are only two bonding wires. Only a percentage of those will be gold bond wires and others will be copper or aluminium. I normally mix them in with random IC chips just to dispose of them. By themselves, they are not worth the time, fuel or chemicals to refine.
Thanks Geo. I will upload some more electronic components tomorrow to know whether they worth to process for gold or not. Hopefully you will guide me.
Thanks

Ok.
How did you treat these prior to leaching?
There may or may not be a couple of gold bonding wires inside.

Edit:
Geo beat me to it 😀😏

Thanks Geo. I will upload some more electronic components tomorrow to know whether they worth to process for gold or not. Hopefully you will guide me.
Thanks
Attached are the other electronic components. Namely these are resistors, Capacitor and mlcc ceramics. Can some one tell? Does these items contain gold or other precious metals or not?

Attachments

• 20220512_165547.jpg
    20220512_165547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220512_165506.jpg
    20220512_165506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Ok.
How did you treat these prior to leaching?
There may or may not be a couple of gold bonding wires inside.

Edit:
Geo beat me to it 😀😏
First I treat the sample with sulfuric acid before leaching. Well attached are the pic of solution after 24 hours of smb addition. I also attached the image of precipitate I am able to separate from this solution.

Attachments

• 20220512_165352.jpg
    20220512_165352.jpg
    895.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_152500.jpg
    20220512_152500.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_165359.jpg
    20220512_165359.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 4
Attached are the other electronic components. Namely these are resistors, Capacitor and mlcc ceramics. Can some one tell? Does these items contain gold or other precious metals or not?
The left pic is aluminum foil/film capacitor. These are considered toxic waste with no PM value. The picture on the right are disc capacitors and are also considered MLCC. A certain percentage will contain silver and palladium. My friend Dusan has yield info and posted it on his youtube channel 999 dusan. https://www.youtube.com/c/999DusanGoldrecovery He has done a lot of experimenting with these types of components. I also consider him to be a good refiner. Keep in mind that he lives near Serbia and most of his scrap is ex-soviet hardware. He includes modern electronics that we all know.

First I treat the sample with sulfuric acid before leaching. Well attached are the pic of solution after 24 hours of smb addition. I also attached the image of precipitate I am able to separate from this solution.
Roasting would be a better way of removing conformal coatings and remove leads. It doesn't involve any chemical waste. The coating converts to carbon and the carbon is converted to carbon dioxide in the presence of air at 800°F.

Read Geo’s reply

Latest posts

Back