Smelting ore with induction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniH

Hi every one. I have a MF , 100 amps induction. Trying to melt ore with iron. Issue arise because ore is not so dense and it keep floating, not mix properly with molten iron. Even charge become liqued, its not propely mixing with iron. Charge is ore+borax.+iron. And some time only ore and iron. Stirring not works.

it was a viable way to process it.
Other ways are more complicated.

May be title was corrected !
Usually one use Lead or Copper as collector metal.
Iron may cause complications further down the road.

Usually one use Lead or Copper as collector metal.
Iron may cause complications further down the road.
Thanks, Lead is good but might be not good at 1600 c. , Copper is good but yet need iron with it, and problem presist, mixing of melted charge with molten iron. Some success with pushing slag towrds bottom in melted iron , but pressure can damage crucibles/linings.

Iron is a problem in refining, but iron cell is under trail, hope we can solve this IRON

Thanks, Lead is good but might be not good at 1600 c. , Copper is good but yet need iron with it, and problem presist, mixing of melted charge with molten iron. Some success with pushing slag towrds bottom in melted iron , but pressure can damage crucibles/linings.

Iron is a problem in refining, but iron cell is under trail, hope we can solve this IRON
This needs more explanation.
What is your Ore?
Why do you need to push it past 1600C?
What is your flux?
Tin melts easy and boils at 2500C, for information only.
Iron is "easy" to get rid of, just sparge the smelt with oxygen.
I have never heard of an Iron cell, and see no reason for running one.

This needs more explanation.
What is your Ore?
Why do you need to push it past 1600C?
What is your flux?
Tin melts easy and boils at 2500C, for information only.
Iron is "easy" to get rid of, just sparge the smelt with oxygen.
I have never heard of an Iron cell, and see no reason for running one.

From what i understand: he has ore and wants to alloy the metals in the ore because iron is cheaper to process.
So the iron cell is being developed and that's why he needs to melt the ore with iron.

makes no sense to me. so some more info could help.

Lead is good to appr 1750C "Boiling point"
Copper to appr 2500C

From what i understand: he has ore and wants to alloy the metals in the ore because iron is cheaper to process.
So the iron cell is being developed and that's why he needs to melt the ore with iron.

makes no sense to me. so some more info could help.
There are definately some missing info, yes.

Thanks , boiling lead is not safe, because no fume scrubber, otherwise lead is always a best option, copper too. Copper is ok but need some iron , actual issue is less density of material, metal commonly melt and sit in bottom or boil and press material upward instead of contacting with it.
Iron is preffered because iron become sticky and can be well mixed, so we need some extra step to make good contact of material and collecter.
Otherwise induction has good ability to produce viberational affects buy its logic.
We need some self made thoughts.

Not want introduce cryolite

Thanks , boiling lead is not safe, because no fume scrubber, otherwise lead is always a best option, copper too. Copper is ok but need some iron , actual issue is less density of material, metal commonly melt and sit in bottom or boil and press material upward instead of contacting with it.
Iron is preffered because iron become sticky and can be well mixed, so we need some extra step to make good contact of material and collecter.
Otherwise induction has good ability to produce viberational affects buy its logic.
We need some self made thoughts.

Not want introduce cryolite
Iron will not alloy with Silver.
Some other metals too I guess.
There is a reason Iron is little used in this kind of setting.
Copper is most used, Silver can also be used, but are much more expensive.
What about replying to my questions so we understand the challenges you have?

Iron will not alloy with Silver.
Some other metals too I guess.
There is a reason Iron is little used in this kind of setting.
Copper is most used, Silver can also be used, but are much more expensive.
What about replying to my questions so we understand the challenges you have?
Yes silver is good but expensive. I not try silver but may be there also become same issue. Ore is iron and silca, with pgms.

Yes silver is good but expensive. I not try silver but may be there also become same issue. Ore is iron and silca, with pgms.
For PGMs Copper is the preferred collector metal.
That is what the big boys use, when they are smelting catalytic converters.
For ore one might need to work out different procedures depending an the specific properties of the ore specific chemistry.
I'd guess there might be a need for the correct pre treatments and such as well.
Most important is often that the ore and fluxes are intimately mixed and ground to a fine mass prior to smelting.
The induction will take care of the stirring and mixing.
Basically you want a thin enough flux and a well molten fluid metal.
You do not want it to be sticky, since that will bind up metal beads.

For PGMs Copper is the preferred collector metal.
That is what the big boys use, when they are smelting catalytic converters.
For ore one might need to work out different procedures depending an the specific properties of the ore specific chemistry.
I'd guess there might be a need for the correct pre treatments and such as well.
Most important is often that the ore and fluxes are intimately mixed and ground to a fine mass prior to smelting.
The induction will take care of the stirring and mixing.
Basically you want a thin enough flux and a well molten fluid metal.
You do not want it to be sticky, since that will bind up metal beads.
Well explaind. Thanks.
Ore has specific nature, so we other preatreatments out of roasting.
Any flux used, cause lower the recoveries, its best when its over 50 mesh, got bad results when its fine meshed. There are other ways present to deal it but smelting was more economical way. Thats why we preffer it. But we face this issue that was diffrent from normal smelt tachniques.

Last edited:
Do anyone has information to prepare magnese linner?
Hi DaniH,

Where are you located? It might help us find some companies around you. I believe you want to use Magnesia lining which is suitable for very high temperatures.

Since I have daily contact with the induction industry, my opinion and therefore recommendation is to find a specialized company that makes the inner lining of the furnace with the correct metodology using the precise materials for your need. It might be an extra investment, but you can avoid accidents and later elevated damage costs. A correct execution of the inner lining will grant you extra charges to be melted and thus lower operation costs.

Pete.

Hi DaniH,

Where are you located? It might help us find some companies around you. I believe you want to use Magnesia lining which is suitable for very high temperatures.

Since I have daily contact with the induction industry, my opinion and therefore recommendation is to find a specialized company that makes the inner lining of the furnace with the correct metodology using the precise materials for your need. It might be an extra investment, but you can avoid accidents and later elevated damage costs. A correct execution of the inner lining will grant you extra charges to be melted and thus lower operation costs.

Pete.
Right now we need it in afghanistan, we have approach in india and pakistan , india have bad terms to import now a days. pakistan also applying restrictions. See anyone local or in pakistan,
China has "in Tons " supplying system, and thats not in considration.

Back