Smelting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cosmetal said:
4metals said:
I admit that the experienced ones seem to get a little “cranky” now and then

That comes from consantly being asked to answer questions without enough background information. Admittedly it wears on me. But when presented thoroughly and thoughtfully you will be helped. We can almost guarantee that!

4metals,

My remark wasn't directed to you or your comment. Sorry if you thought so.

You have the patience of Job. I would be climbing the walls if I was expected to moderate a forum. I've raised four very successful children already. My patience veneer has been worn thin.

Peace to all on this gifted GRF forum! :D

"My remark wasn't directed to you or your comment."

Or to Topher, jimdoc and especially Goran! My youngest son is a physicist and my grandmother came from Sweden. Need I say more? :)

cosmetal said:
"My remark wasn't directed to you or your comment."

Or to Topher, jimdoc and especially Goran! My youngest son is a physicist and my grandmother came from Sweden. Need I say more? :)
'nuff said! :D

Never saw your comment as a critique, more like an observation.

Göran

I know I can seem like im cranky, cold, and cruel at times. 99% of the time that is just the words coming off that way.

If someone posts a question, and more information is needed.
A simple question to get more details can easily be construed as a mean response.

Why is that?
Well, its because the OP knows that information, but the person replying does not. So the person who made the initial inquiry may think that the detail is either "a given" or blatantly obvious. Maybe they think its completely irrelevant and the second question asking for details was posed by an audacious jerk.

What it really comes down to is this. Written words that are to the point lack the tone, inflection, and soul of the author.

If I ever seem that way, I can (almost) promise you its simply from the brevity of the reply.
If by chance its because that 1% of the time...well... My kids probably had me up all night, and I'm sorry in advance!

My remark wasn't directed to you or your comment. Sorry if you thought so.

No offense taken, my comments were said primarily to help the OP to realize that without enough information the help received may not be useful and often it is a waste of time.

Now if you want cranky, you should have been here a few years back! :twisted:

Ok this is for the gentleman who first responded. We got off on wrong foot. I am very very thankful for any help I can get. Now I literally just wasted 2 days worth of work and it's just placer so literally I'm in dyre need of help. I'm a mechanic so yes I understand the frustration on lack of info. So that being said. This is my first time doing this kind of stuff . Melting furnace model number is mf-1000. Off eBay. Goes to 1150c. Now I literally did like 1/8 th of a load. And left it for hour and 10 min. It's a 1kg crucible btw. Ended up with a silver not gold button now. Other people. An melt same stuff so idk what I'm doing wrong. Using Chapman flux and thinner. 4:1 on the flux assuming it's dirty.

Melting furnace model number is mf-1000. Off eBay
http://www.ottofrei.com/Electric-Melting-Furnace-MF-1000-1-kg-30-oz-110V-60H

Wish you had found GRF before you bought this. They work, but use graphite crucibles with short lives and when fluxing easy to just ruin it with a little spill. When you hit a substantial payday, and I sincerely hope you do, you need an assay furnace. More versatile and use inexpensive 30 gram assay crucibles. (Don't confuse the 30 gram size designation with the capacity, a 30 gram crucible holds about 1/2 a liter of molten material.)

But for now it is what it is and you can do some fusions in the type furnace you have.

Where did you find out about Chapman flux?

Keithnhra said:
James thank you ! Posting pictures later. Dropped phone off ledge camera smashed. Getting new one later
Glad to see that you decided to try again.

Without pics, you’re going to get a lot of questions. So, don’t get too excited. Ok?

Mine are:
1.) You said – “I'm really wasting good gold now. Not just fines flakes of known 22kt.”
Are you working a placer deposit that has gold in the form of fines, flakes, nuggets or all? If so, how are you mining the gold? High banking, dry washing, crevicing, panning, sluicing or dredging?
2.) Then later – “Actually mostly ore. Id post pictures but camera is smashed. I do melt some placer but mostly hard rock gold.”
Now, I’m confused. Is this a hard rock deposit you are working or a placer deposit? Or do you have both?
3.) And - “I should say some ore is bog iron ore.”
My head is spinning = never heard of “bog” iron ore. But, I’m intrigued. More information, please.
4.) Then – “Well I had it assayed and had a success making button. So then had it tested itself. Which also the gold known in my area is from iron ore and is also 22k. Also have Vermont ore at 23kt... very nice stuff. Very pure.”
Assayed what - placer or hard rock or both?
5.) And – “Also I have copper,silver,trace of platinum (b.c glacial) I assume. Ore I had assayed was 3 oz to the ton. Silver 1/2 ,platinum .18, copper 2.”
Sounds like you’re talking about hard rock ore only.
6.) Then – “I should say the flakes /placer were placer. The only success I had melting a button was 22k.”
Now, placer? Did you try to smelt gold fines and flakes while still within the black sand concentrate?
7.) “flakes were placer and picker obviously which was tested several times . Button tested obviously after I made it.”
Which picker? Your button or a nugget?
8.) “I am from a area with massive glacial deposits in the Berkshires. I also have native gold in bedrock.”
You’re lucky. Forget the smelting for now and buy a good metal detector and go nugget shooting in the bedrock. :!:

Peace . . . :D
James

Bog ore.

When iron rich fluids ends up in bogs or swamps there can be some concretions made by oxidation. These concretions consists mainly of iron oxides and hydroxides. Most often found in bogs or swamps, hence the name.
Bog ore was the main source of iron in early history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

That is the reason I wondered why he would expect there is any gold at all in bog ore.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Bog ore.

When iron rich fluids ends up in bogs or swamps there can be some concretions made by oxidation. These concretions consists mainly of iron oxides and hydroxides. Most often found in bogs or swamps, hence the name.

That is the reason I wondered why he would expect there is any gold at all in bog ore.

Göran

Having been born and mostly raised in the state of Arizona (which is almost all desert), I have never had the pleasure of visiting a bog. Sounds interesting, especially if I could find one of my early ancestors preserved in the goo! :shock:

But, I have seen Wikipedia before. Maybe one of these days I'll stop falling into the noobie hole of self-mortification . . . sigh! :oops:

g_axelsson said:
Bog ore.

Göran

Here's one site in Maine that was operating into 1890:

http://www.mainerec.com/katahdin.asp?Category=204&PageNum=204

I've gone there many times, since the trout fishing is excellent in nearby creeks. I even caught a nice Salmon while trout fishing.

Iggy-poo said:
g_axelsson said:
Bog ore.

Göran

Here's one site in Maine that was operating into 1890:

http://www.mainerec.com/katahdin.asp?Category=204&PageNum=204

I've gone there many times, since the trout fishing is excellent in nearby creeks. I even caught a nice Salmon while trout fishing.

Doesn't sound like bog ore, they are writing about "local iron sulphide ore" so my guess is that they mined pyrite.

... my bad, it seems like it was pyrrhotite, not pyrite they mined.
https://www.mindat.org/loc-46191.html

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Bog ore.

Göran

Could he be referring to a gossan, I wonder?

More details are indeed needed.

First off, see if the gold is free milling gold. Pan a bit of finely crushed material.
Perhaps smelting is not required at all!

What ore(s) are you smelting? The flux needs to be adjusted for each ore.
Keep notes of every smelt, including all weights and if the smelt was successful or not.

Is the slag nice and thin flowing?

If the precious metal content of the smelted stuff is low, a collector metal might be needed.

Latest posts

Back