So, you think your rocks are valuable? READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ABOUT ORE!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou

Staff member
First off, Congratulations! Everyone here hopes you have found something awesome! Hopefully something very valuable! Hopefully something not XRF'ing as rhodium, or worse, iridium on a handheld analyzer...
There is a tremendous amount of knowledge of a variety of kinds and fashions here on the goldrefiningforum, but that said, you're not quite in the right place...yet! We at the GRF are firm believers that every bit of gold, silver, platinum, palladium, iridium, rhodium and ruthenium and osmium was once in or on the ground until some intrepid explorer discovered it. We focus mostly on secondary materials, but many members have considerable experience and expertise in ore dressing, ore processing, assaying, and the recovery of materials from ore prior to subsequent refining.

While we welcome newcomers of all kinds, when we say you're not in the right place if you just came here to talk about rocks, it means that we actually are not a place to talk about rocks being worth lots of money or having "crazy mineralization" or assayed with a handheld XRF instrument. Believe us when we say that the administrators, moderators, kind fellow forum members and whomever all want nothing more than to help you with turning your rocks into swimming pools full of cash. We just require that you, yes YOU, dear reader/rockhound/exploration geologist/future billionaire do a few reasonably simple things first. Let's call it due diligence. After all, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We even settle for just plain ol' scientific evidence here at the GRF.

BEFORE you post about having XYZ rocks found in XYZ complex ores from wherever patented/secret/extraterrestrial location worth over 1 X 10^nth USD/metric ton, the forum community at large wants YOU to follow this simple questionnaire/worksheet designed to help you with your rocks and help us with managing time and server space:

1.) Do you have rocks that you believe/think/hypothesize/insist are valuable, perhaps so valuable that your discovery is likely to upend the whole market for, say iridium or rhodium?
-->If yes, congratulations! We are thrilled and can't wait to have rhodium-plated iridium forks and spoons but we ask that you immediately proceed to question #2 which will determine how thrilled we shall remain!
If no, please enjoy your stay here and proceed right away to posting about refining and recovery!

2.) Do/did you 1. have an advanced degree in geology from an accredited institution of higher education, 2. acquire the materials from districts or locations known for precious metals, 3.) want to find out where and how to process these because your business is rocks, not separation science/chemical refining?
-->If yes to all three above questions, wow! we love having experts here! Please post your degree/qualifications, your location, roughly where the rocks came from (depth/alluvial/hardrock core) and all data (powder diffraction, mineralogy, gravity concentration results, fire assays, historical geological surveys, jar rolling tests, instrumental neutron activation analyses, blow pipe pictures, specific gravity readings). Now we can all talk about the content in g/ton and where to go with the material and approaches based on science!
If no, kindly stop right there and don't post yet--let's proceed to question #3!!

3.) Have you consulted a qualified (as in actual) geologist who is an expert in the geology of the precious metal-producing district where you found your rocks?
-->If yes, good you're on the right path! Get his/her/their permission to post their correspondence here for us to see as proof and please proceed to question 4 before posting here! Remember, an expert is someone who other people call an expert and typically has academic and industry experience as proven by their publications, patents, demeanor, and occupation (i.e. "Department of Geology chair" or "exploration geologist, 20 years experience Barrick Gold"
If no, kindly go to another forum focused on ores, rocks, post high resolution photos of your find, figure out what it is, then contact the local university geology department and ask them to confirm what the internet told you. After you can confidently say Yes to question 3 and prove it, please see question #4!

Here are some forums/sites that may be able to help you with your rocks: The lists are not comprehensive, but they should get you off to a good start. You can search for additional Geological Surveys, Mining Associations, Clubs, Shows, etc. in your area.

Rock and Ore Identification

Quick Qualitative Testing of Rocks and Ore
United States Geological Survey
Mindat.Org
National Mining Association
Identifying Minerals
How to Identify Gold Ore Rocks: Tests, Characteristics, & Types
How to Effectively Identify the Gold Ore?
Rockhound Resource how-to-test-your-rock-for-gold-7-simple-methods

State Geological Surveys

Arizona Geological Survey
Idaho Geological Survey
Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology
Washington State Department of Natural Resources

Mining Associations

American Exploration and Mining Association
Arizona Mining Association
Colorado Mining Association
Idaho Mining Association
Montana Mining Association
Nevada Mining Association
Utah Mining Association
Women In Mining USA
Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration

Prospecting Clubs and Organizations

Gold Prospectors of the Rockies
Alabama Gold Camp
Gold Prospectors of Colorado
Colorado Prospector
Finding Gold in Colorado
Colorado Gold Camp

Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Shows

Rock & Mineral Shows by State
Colorado Mineral and Fossil Shows
Tucson Gem and Mineral Show

4.) Having consulted an expert (in addition to the aforementioned websites), have you had temptations to, or have you already put your rocks into a mixture of acids and possibly generate(d) toxic wastes/gases/untold rich mother liquors?
-->if yes, stop right there! We highly suggest you reach out to a reputable assay house and let them do that for you. It's their day to day. If you can't afford an assay it is probably best to walk away now or else save up for a proper assay!
Here are some labs that do great work that you might consider:

Alfred H Knight International
ALS Global International
Bureau Veritas International
SGS International

American Analytical Services, Inc. Osburn, ID
American Assay Laboratories NV
Axium Scientific Sparks, NV
Clark Testing PA, IL, WV, MI
Hazen Research, Inc. Golden, CO
Kappes, Cassiday & Associates Reno, NV
Ledoux & Company Teaneck, NJ
McClelland Laboratories, Inc. Sparks, NV
Phoslab Testing Laboratories Lakeland, FL
Reed Laboratories Carlsbad, CA
Skyline Assayers & Laboratories Tucson, AZ

Actlabs Ontario, Canada

Many of these labs also have convenient locations nearby all of the major precious metal mining/ore districts so be sure to check their website thoroughly.

If no, congrats! you passed the trick question but kindly still stop there and go get a minimum of a fire assay for gold, silver; or an Instrumental Neutron Activation analysis. Don't put random rocks into acids. Feel free to post and ask us for a lab that one of the members has good personal experience with, and if another member agrees with the other member, perhaps consider sending it there! After having done so, come back here and post up the results! Everyone here is in fact really and truly awaiting your return with actual data!

Some questions to ask yourself, possibly before the questionnaire above:
"why would I have such valuable rocks when the world is literally full of rocks and people? What makes my rocks special?"
"do I have the knowledge and maturity to comprehend when I do not know something and should seek a second opinion?"
"Do I know the difference between opinions and facts?"
"Is my assay from an assay house that has ISO 17025 accreditation and uses traceable standards that go back to a major standards governing body (i.e. NIST/ASTM/ISO)?"
"are my assays consistent or is there evidence of the nugget affect?"
"do my assays show all of the PGMs in varying amounts?"
"is my ore heavy?"
"if the earth is mostly mineralized by meteorite bombardment, is it appropriate to relate my rocks to "meteoritic origins"?"
"is an XRF instrument really a substitute for tried and true methods like fire assay?"
"should my rocks be soft, smelly, and contain organic matter?

If your assay has proven you have an economically viable source of precious metals, here are some additional resources to help you capitalize on your find.

Consultants and Contract Geologists

Alaska Earth Sciences
DMC Mining Services
Geopros, Inc.
Hard Rock Consulting, LLC
Nasco Industrial Services and Supply
The Redpath Group
Small Mine Development
Thyssen Mining

Mining, Milling, Smelting and Geology Supplies

Atlas Mine & Mill Supply, Inc.
CGS Mule Complete Geological Supplies
F&H Mine Supply, Inc.
Legend, Inc.
Mount Baker Mining and Metals, LLC
Northwest Mine Supply

Other

911 Metallurgist
The Diggings

Last edited by a moderator:
While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm definitely not here for just rocks. I collect and process all types of precious metal materials and this is just me being lazy with the photos. I have stuff for days.

Attachments

• 20231002_092458.jpg
    20231002_092458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231002_092453.jpg
    20231002_092453.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
First off, Congratulations! Everyone here hopes you have found something awesome! Hopefully something very valuable! Hopefully something not XRF'ing as rhodium, or worse, iridium on a handheld analyzer...
There is a tremendous amount of knowledge of a variety of kinds and fashions here on the goldrefiningforum, but that said, you're not quite in the right place...yet! We at the GRF are firm believers that every bit of gold, silver, platinum, palladium, iridium, rhodium and ruthenium and osmium was once in or on the ground until some intrepid explorer discovered it. We focus mostly on secondary materials, but many members have considerable experience and expertise in ore dressing, ore processing, assaying, and the recovery of materials from ore prior to subsequent refining.

While we welcome newcomers of all kinds, when we say you're not in the right place if you just came here to talk about rocks, it means that we actually are not a place to talk about rocks being worth lots of money or having "crazy mineralization" or assayed with a handheld XRF instrument. Believe us when we say that the administrators, moderators, kind fellow forum members and whomever all want nothing more than to help you with turning your rocks into swimming pools full of cash. We just require that you, yes YOU, dear reader/rockhound/exploration geologist/future billionaire do a few reasonably simple things first. Let's call it due diligence. After all, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We even settle for just plain ol' scientific evidence here at the GRF.

BEFORE you post about having XYZ rocks found in XYZ complex ores from wherever patented/secret/extraterrestrial location worth over 1 X 10^nth USD/metric ton, the forum community at large wants YOU to follow this simple questionnaire/worksheet designed to help you with your rocks and help us with managing time and server space:

1.) Do you have rocks that you believe/think/hypothesize/insist are valuable, perhaps so valuable that your discovery is likely to upend the whole market for, say iridium or rhodium?
-->If yes, congratulations! We are thrilled and can't wait to have rhodium-plated iridium forks and spoons but we ask that you immediately proceed to question #2 which will determine how thrilled we shall remain!
If no, please enjoy your stay here and proceed right away to posting about refining and recovery!

2.) Do/did you 1. have an advanced degree in geology from an accredited institution of higher education, 2. acquire the materials from districts or locations known for precious metals, 3.) want to find out where and how to process these because your business is rocks, not separation science/chemical refining?
-->If yes to all three above questions, wow! we love having experts here! Please post your degree/qualifications, your location, roughly where the rocks came from (depth/alluvial/hardrock core) and all data (powder diffraction, mineralogy, gravity concentration results, fire assays, historical geological surveys, jar rolling tests, instrumental neutron activation analyses, blow pipe pictures, specific gravity readings). Now we can all talk about the content in g/ton and where to go with the material and approaches based on science!
If no, kindly stop right there and don't post yet--let's proceed to question #3!!

3.) Have you consulted a qualified (as in actual) geologist who is an expert in the geology of the precious metal-producing district where you found your rocks?
-->If yes, good you're on the right path! Get his/her/their permission to post their correspondence here for us to see as proof and please proceed to question 4 before posting here! Remember, an expert is someone who other people call an expert and typically has academic and industry experience as proven by their publications, patents, demeanor, and occupation (i.e. "Department of Geology chair" or "exploration geologist, 20 years experience Barrick Gold"
If no, kindly go to another forum focused on ores, rocks, post high resolution photos of your find, figure out what it is, then contact the local university geology department and ask them to confirm what the internet told you. After you can confidently say Yes to question 3 and prove it, please see question #4!

Here are some forums/sites that may be able to help you with your rocks: The lists are not comprehensive, but they should get you off to a good start. You can search for additional Geological Surveys, Mining Associations, Clubs, Shows, etc. in your area.

Mindat.Org
Identifying Minerals

State Geological Surveys

Idaho Geological Survey

Mining Associations

Idaho Mining Association
Utah Mining Association
Women In Mining USA

Alabama Gold Camp
Colorado Prospector
Finding Gold in Colorado
Colorado Gold Camp

4.) Having consulted an expert (in addition to the aforementioned websites), have you had temptations to, or have you already put your rocks into a mixture of acids and possibly generate(d) toxic wastes/gases/untold rich mother liquors?
-->if yes, stop right there! We highly suggest you reach out to a reputable assay house and let them do that for you. It's their day to day. If you can't afford an assay it is probably best to walk away now or else save up for a proper assay!

ALS Global International
SGS International

Actlabs Ontario, Canada

Many of these labs also have convenient locations nearby all of the major precious metal mining/ore districts so be sure to check their website thoroughly.

If no, congrats! you passed the trick question but kindly still stop there and go get a minimum of a fire assay for gold, silver; or an Instrumental Neutron Activation analysis. Don't put random rocks into acids. Feel free to post and ask us for a lab that one of the members has good personal experience with, and if another member agrees with the other member, perhaps consider sending it there! After having done so, come back here and post up the results! Everyone here is in fact really and truly awaiting your return with actual data!

"why would I have such valuable rocks when the world is literally full of rocks and people? What makes my rocks special?"
"do I have the knowledge and maturity to comprehend when I do not know something and should seek a second opinion?"
"Is my assay from an assay house that has ISO 17025 accreditation and uses traceable standards that go back to a major standards governing body (i.e. NIST/ASTM/ISO)?"
"is my ore heavy?"
"if the earth is mostly mineralized by meteorite bombardment, is it appropriate to relate my rocks to "meteoritic origins"?"
"is an XRF instrument really a substitute for tried and true methods like fire assay?"

If your assay has proven you have an economically viable source of precious metals, here are some additional resources to help you capitalize on your find.

Alaska Earth Sciences
DMC Mining Services
Geopros, Inc.
The Redpath Group
Small Mine Development
Thyssen Mining

F&H Mine Supply, Inc.
Legend, Inc.
Northwest Mine Supply

Other

911 Metallurgist
The Diggings

Not sure how I missed this one Lou - but - AWESOME post

Kurt

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm definitely not here for just rocks. I collect and process all types of precious metal materials and this is just me being lazy with the photos. I have stuff for days.
This thread was not written to reply to your case i assume. But to keep those recurring questions away from us members.

It does belong in the library and in the "must-read-before-you're-allowed-to-post-anything-but-an-intro-list".
Can't be bumped enough! Great work Lou!

Mindat.Org
Identifying Minerals

State Geological Surveys

Idaho Geological Survey

Mining Associations

Idaho Mining Association
Utah Mining Association
Women In Mining USA

Alabama Gold Camp
Colorado Prospector
Finding Gold in Colorado
Colorado Gold Camp

ALS Global International
SGS International

Actlabs Ontario, Canada

"is my ore heavy?"

Alaska Earth Sciences
DMC Mining Services
Geopros, Inc.
The Redpath Group
Small Mine Development
Thyssen Mining

F&H Mine Supply, Inc.
Legend, Inc.
Northwest Mine Supply

Other

911 Metallurgist
The Diggings
I just wanted to say thank you! I am book marking for future.

This thread was not written to reply to your case i assume. But to keep those recurring questions away from us members.

It does belong in the library and in the "must-read-before-you're-allowed-to-post-anything-but-an-intro-list".

I am a supporting member and have paid my dues have you? You guys are the only ones posting anything not me. I'm just responding. I have posted a new post in days only replies. It's only $20 bud!!!

I am a supporting member and have paid my dues have you? You guys are the only ones posting anything not me. I'm just responding. I have posted a new post in days only replies. It's only $20 bud!!!
$20 may get you absolution in the "church" of your choice, but people here are to the point honest, for the most part.

I thought you took Lou's awesome welcoming guidelines as a personal reply. Hence my reaction.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Paying dues? is that also supporting new members in a safe and responsible way? As I have been doing for a long time. For free... 😏

As I have recieved help and guidance from 'my mentor' Butcher, Harold, and many more.

Mindat.Org
Identifying Minerals

State Geological Surveys

Idaho Geological Survey

Mining Associations

Idaho Mining Association
Utah Mining Association
Women In Mining USA

Alabama Gold Camp
Colorado Prospector
Finding Gold in Colorado
Colorado Gold Camp

ALS Global International
SGS International

Actlabs Ontario, Canada

"is my ore heavy?"

Alaska Earth Sciences
DMC Mining Services
Geopros, Inc.
The Redpath Group
Small Mine Development
Thyssen Mining

F&H Mine Supply, Inc.
Legend, Inc.
Northwest Mine Supply

Other

911 Metallurgist
The Diggings
Once again Lou, an excellent dissertation!! It was full of humor, good spirit, and provides online asset links that can be referenced by both seasoned as well as newbie prospectors out there.

I can't stress enough how important the Mindat.org site is regards mineral identification. Sometimes a mineral will surprise you, even the most seasoned mineralogist out there.

I have provided a Facebook group dedicated to this very topic which has over 700 documents uploaded to its files section! Anyone with a Facebook account is welcome to join. All that must be done is while logged into Facebook search for the "Library of Mining Technologies" group and request membership!!

Once again Lou, an excellent dissertation!! It was full of humor, good spirit, and provides online asset links that can be referenced by both seasoned as well as newbie prospectors out there.

I can't stress enough how important the Mindat.org site is regards mineral identification. Sometimes a mineral will surprise you, even the most seasoned mineralogist out there.

I have provided a Facebook group dedicated to this very topic which has over 700 documents uploaded to its files section! Anyone with a Facebook account is welcome to join. All that must be done is while logged into Facebook search for the "Library of Mining Technologies" group and request membership!!
Hey there and thanks for trying to helping those of us with questions.

I tried looking for the Facebook group, but it didn't come up in a search. Is it having issues? Thanks again for your help.

Hey there and thanks for trying to helping those of us with questions.

I tried looking for the Facebook group, but it didn't come up in a search. Is it having issues? Thanks again for your help.
I must apologize for that. Itherenwere some people who were causing issues with the group and trying to get scandalous so the location was shut down sorry

I must apologize for that. Itherenwere some people who were causing issues with the group and trying to get scandalous so the location was shut down sorry
By chance did you move the information gathered to a different location?
Or do you know of another sight with similar information?
I have tried numerous online searches, but haven't found a decent source of information about those old organs. Even less about what components are worth processing.
Thanks much in advance for any help you can provide.

Sorry about that. I wasn't quite awake yet when I posted this. I thought it was about the FB organ group.

Edited to add apologies

Last edited:
Back